AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on where to get a good price on a HDTV / DirecTV set top tuner. I have a RCA DTC-100, but the OTA inputs seem to have died on it. RCA wants $240 to replace it and I am trying to figure out if I should just get a new one. It seems prices have gone up on STB and I was hoping someone could point me to a good deal.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Best Buy had the Hughes E86 for $399 in a 3/30/03 ad. Don't know if that price is still good. It was $499 with a $100 rebate.

Rick R

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also, Best Buy had a 1/2 off sale on all open box DirecTV tuners a few weeks ago. Got a good deal on one. Maybe they will have this sale again soon.

Don

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Rick,

Was the $100 rebate from Best Buy or Hughes? I do not think the offer is still available.

Don,

I hope they do have this sale again. This deal would at least bring me close to the $240 price to repair the RCA.

One more question for all. If you had to choose, would you get a repaired DTC-100 for $240 or would you get a new unit for 500+?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCraw
Thanks for the feedback.

One more question for all. If you had to choose, would you get a repaired DTC-100 for $240 or would you get a new unit for 500+?

Thanks,

Joe
Why not buy a new one? Sell the one you have and disclose the fact that the OTA part doesn't work. A lot of users simply get that unit for sat. reception and don't even make usee of OTA. Should be worth $150 to $200 to someone.

One way to check on what you could get is go to Ebay.

...mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken,

Have you had any experience with them?

The prices seem good and the turnaround is quick, but it makes me nervous to be at their mercy once I have shipped it too them. This is definitely a new option.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
322 Posts
Joe,

If you want to receive only DirecTV any of the boxes will work well. If you have a roof top antenna with rotor and want good OTA reception get the Zenith 520.

DVW

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
I am looking for suggestions on where to get a good price on a HDTV / DirecTV set top tuner....
Start by calling 800 DIRECTV

Tell them you HD box crapped out and you're thinking of just dropping D* and switching to cable, due to the high replacement cost.

They should switch you to Customer Retention folks that offer special "incentives" like hardware rebates and programming deals. The discounts and rebates can add up to several hundred dollars.

The only downside is you must recommit to another 12 months of at least TotalChoice programming. But you'd have to do that anyway if you buy and install a new STB.

See this thread on DirecTV Retention & Credits ....

·
Registered
644 Posts
GRRRRR,

I just went to J&R to order the Zenith 520 which was $567 LAST NIGHT and today when I finally went back to get it, it's not listed at $599!

Come on.....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Have you had any experience with them?
No, not directly. They have been on the web for a while now, check with the local BBB.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sent them my Toshiaba DST3000 (Hughes box)

and it was sent back to me as not repairable due to parts not available. They advised me to send it back to Toshiba for repair.

brentley

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by brentley
I sent them my Toshiaba DST3000 (Hughes box)

and it was sent back to me as not repairable due to parts not available. They advised me to send it back to Toshiba for repair.
How much did it end up costing you to have it sent back unrepaired?

What kind of turnaround did they have?

Where you satisfied with their service?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am expecting it back today.

when I talked to them on the phone they did not say what they will charge me, but I send a check rather than a credit card number.

I will post once I get the package.

brentley

·
Registered
154 Posts
brentley, I'm very interested in hearing your experience with sending your DST-3000 back to Toshiba for repair, what was the problem with it ? Mine is losing video occasionally over 1080 only ( my DST-3000 problem ). Where did you send yours ? Toshiba told me to send the unit and $99 to an address in Harrisburg, PA where they have contracted service of their satellite receivers. I'm holding off on sending mine, trying to determine if money would be better spent on a new receiver.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PSR1 was unable to fix my box.

The note said must return to manufacturer.

So I am wondering if I call toshiba and go through all of the rigmarole if I will be just sending it right back to PSR but with a Toshiba RMA.

Since I just installed a hughes Tivo in the same stack as the HD box I am not in a big hurry to get it fixed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
Start by calling 800 DIRECTV

Tell them you HD box crapped out and you're thinking of just dropping D* and switching to cable, due to the high replacement cost.

They should switch you to Customer Retention folks that offer special "incentives" like hardware rebates and programming deals. The discounts and rebates can add up to several hundred dollars.
arxaw, thanks for the tip, I called the directv and after getting transferred to the customer retention department I was able to get a $150 credit because I need to buy a new stb to replace my defective out of warranty DST-3000.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Don't thank me, thank this forum by clicking the "Donate" button at the upper righthand area of this page :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by brentley
PSR1 was unable to fix my box.

The note said must return to manufacturer.

So I am wondering if I call toshiba and go through all of the rigmarole if I will be just sending it right back to PSR but with a Toshiba RMA.
Just curious how much it ended up costing you (with shipping and their fees) to find out they couldn't do anything.

Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.