Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over a TH-42PWD6UY?

the difference in price is like $600-$700 and I want to know if there is a compelling reason to get one over the other....

also anyone have an opinion on dtvcity.com

thank you in advance.

Rich

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rich,

I went through the same dilemma, industrial vs. consumer panny. Out of courtesy, I warn you that I have never actually seen the industrial version, but spent considerable time playing with the consumer version in the local brick and mortars.

The most compelling reasons for me to give the consumer version considerable thought were: 1) the additional component and super video inputs and 2) in-home or local warranty service.

I ultimately chose the industrial version (still waiting to get it). I am not sure this was the best choice, considering the following:

1) I need to obtain the separate DVI card to get the DVI capability. Not really an issue considering the lower initial cost of the panel.

2) I need to get a special cable or adapter to use the RGB input as a second component input. Also not really an issue considering the lower initial cost of the panel.

3) I will have to drive 2 hours one-way if I ever have to take the panel in for service (I called the panasonic industrial products support number to find out where the nearest service center is located). This could end up biting me in the arse, but you might have a sevice center that is closer.

4) I have to wait to get it!

I tried to predict my needs based on the video sources I will use, and how they would be connected to each model of display. Based on this and the factors above, the consumer version has the edge, save for the lack of 720p support, which might be a minor issue for my xbox.

On the other hand, I would never use the on-board tuner or speakers in the consumer version, so it would not have the purpose-built appeal of the industrial version. In the end, I guess it was the purpose-built appeal that swayed me to the industrial version, not to mention the charcoal colored/minimalist cabinet ;)

Good luck with your decision, I am sure you will be happy with either choice.

Shawn

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another nice thing about the industrial display is that it has separate settings memory for each input, whereas the consumer display doesn't. This is really useful if you have an HD tuner tied to one input and a DVD to another, since each source will tend to look better with different settings.

I also really prefer the less bulky look as well as the color of the industrial unit.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If you have enough of the following needs, the consumer may be the way to go:

1) You will use the included table stand because you're not wall-mounting the plasma.

2) You want speakers so that you don't have to always use your surround system. Or don't like the look of some non-matching speakers that could be attached.

3) You want a DVI input

4) You will make use of the built-in tuner because you get OTA signals or have cable but don't use a cable box.

5) You prefer the idea of the in-home warranty

If 3 of the first 4 are true for you, the consumer model is a pretty good way to go. The additional cost for several of those items brings the price of a 6UY up to what the PA20 costs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by highvista
Another nice thing about the industrial display is that it has separate settings memory for each input, whereas the consumer display doesn't. This is really useful if you have an HD tuner tied to one input and a DVD to another, since each source will tend to look better with different settings.

I also really prefer the less bulky look as well as the color of the industrial unit.
Wow, I didn't know this. Thank you for dispelling any remaining uncertainty I was feeling about choosing the industrial model!

Shawn

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the input...

This is for a friend who knows nothing about hometheater...My understanding of hifi and HT is good, but I lack detailed familiarity with plasmas. I have seen the panny's at events and in stores and their black levels were very good. I believe the reviews I have read of them being better than some HD models due to their black level.

I do not believe my friend will be using the tuner nor the speakers...I have to find out if he wants to wall mount it. He may have 2 component inputs, thought hopefully one will be dvi (hd programming and dvd)...

Rich

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
I haven't checked but it is hard for me to believe that it is true. I have a previous generation consumer model and it does have sepaarate settings memory for each input. And my settings after calibration are different for different inputs.

Andrzej

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:
The consumer model has 4 different sets of video settings that you can configure. Each input will remember the set that you used last, so unless you are using more than 4 inputs, you effectively have a separate setting in memory for each input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Whoops! Apologies to all if I'm propagating bad info about the consumer model not having separate settings for its inputs. It's something I've seen mentioned in the forum numerous times and began to take as a proven fact, but I only have hands-on experience with the industrial.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.