AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently using the HTPC for DVD only. If want to add the TV Tuner card inside. any good suggestion ? FUSION or MY HD130 is better. my setting was

P4 3.0, 6600GT -AGP hooked JVC 61Z575 rear projector TV. chartered HD cable box.

I want it able to watch the TV via HTPC and recording. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just using Win XP, Dscaler for DVD. Yes, I want to hook up with cable box.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MYHD 120 or 130 has been the leader in this area, but for OTA. If you want DVI go with the daughter card.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tks a Lot, can you tell me what means OTA ?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak6862
I just using Win XP, Dscaler for DVD. Yes, I want to hook up with cable box.
Those cards don't hook up to the cable box, but they will hook up to the cable directly for the analog cable channles - The MDP-130 will additionalyy tune the unencrypted QAM channels, which in most areas means you can forgoe an antenna for OTA and just use the cable to gert these; typically the other channels are not in the clear.

Re hooking up to the cable box directly - if it has an active firewire port you can do this without a tuner card at all, - but in most places the cable companies set the 5c encryption to 1 so you won't get content that way. Search it the HD recorders forum to learn about this option

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much your explain. Thats means I only using this card then I can see the HD TV. but other cable channel may not be clear, right ?

:)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak6862
Thanks so much your explain. Thats means I only using this card then I can see the HD TV. but other cable channel may not be clear, right ?

:)

no - that's not quite right - its more complicated and perhaps you would be better served reading some of the many threads about tuner cards

But trying to keep it simple - if you want OTA all the HDTV cards will display the signals available in your area in High definition - some have better tuners than others

If you are interested in something that hooks up to your cable, some do this and in many cases there are two coax connections for something like cable and OTA

The cable will be analog, (just like the regular NTSC signals which are broadcast in your area and these cards can also tune with an antenna) - which is not very clear as you note, unless the card has a QAM (digital cable tuner - like the MDP-130). If this is the case - you will also get the digital channels which your cable company provides in the clear, or unencrypted. Normally these would just be your local OTA broadcast ATSC channels - with the remainder encrypted. But this can be different depending on your cable system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.