Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jonmx,

Cable quality and length is a big issue so take that into first consideration.

When I had my Boxlight 38T the best NTSC signal I got was through my HTPC. I fed my Hipix HDTV card with the Svideo signal and then used the HiPix software to display the image. The second best was using a Hauppauge TV-GO card and DScaler.

With my Boxlight 40T I am extremely happy with the internal processing of the projector and actually feed a composite signal directly to the projector via an X10 wireless video sender. My receiver is on another floor and very far from the projector and I have tried all kinds of different setups with various cables and ended up with the best picture using the wireless method.

Peter

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have tried several things, but so far only sub-par results. I would love to be able to watch NFL football in full 100" glory, but it is just too grainy and the colors are dull. I feed my cable to a JVC VCR, then the S-video out to my Quadscan Elite and then to either Sanyo XP21N or LT150. It's not bad, but I like the picture on my tube TV a lot better. Would a HTPC improve much over what a quadscan would do? I tried feeding a TV signal thru a Hauppauge USB TV tuner thru my laptop, but the quality wasn't any better and it added a noticeable delay. I have also fed the S-video directly to the LT150 in native mode. That might have been my best result, but is still lacking. Any ideas?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jonmx,

As you know, live sports are death for our digi projectors. Even my LP350 with it's decent onboard scaler sucked hard when it came to live sports.

The best non-HDTV live sports image I got was through the OTA adapter on my Dish 6000 on the LP350. I haven't done enough testing with the LT150 to see if it's equally acceptable.

The consensus in the processor forum was the Faroudja NR gave the best NTSC picture. Although, the topic never came around to specifically talking about sports.

I'm going to try the Osprey 100 card with DScaler this week and I'm hoping the results will be fruitful.

--Les

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I initially tried feeding NTSC through my JVD VCR and got similar results. Remembering that this deck is not noted for a great tuner, I switched to digital cable and now feed Svideo directly from the digital cable box into the Quadscan.

The results are OK, but, looking at the higher channels on the digital cable, which are much better, I am thinking the only real solution to this problem is to go dish/dirct TV. Even then, it simply isn't going to be as good as the DVD input which is much better, even though I'm using an old Toshiba 2109 until my Panny RV80 shows up on Tuesday.

Part of your problem is probably the tuner in the JVC. See if you can set up a direct feed or use a better tuner.

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I watch some golf channel (slow and small audience, so it doesn't get much bandwidth) on DSS through the QSE and it is pretty poor. The recent gymnastics on TNT looked a lot better. However, the NFL Sunday Ticket demo channel of 3 old games looks really good in comparison (Channel 703). They must dedicate a lot of bandwidth to the expensive action packages. It looks good enough that I am looking forward to football again. I hardly watched at all during my LP350 year.

------------------

Joe

Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly.

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Thanks for all the input. It looks like satellite may be the only solution.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have tried satellite from receiver through S-VHS recorder (with expensive S-Video cables) and the picture on five different FP's is still crapola. I wonder if something as affordable as a DVDO would help much?

Mike

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck:
When it comes to broadcast TV, it's garbage in-garbage out. That's the basic problem.
The only problem I've always had with this statement is that broadcast sports look pretty good on my 32" tube. Seems like theoretically it should be possible through a scaler to get something in the same ballpark on a PJ.

--Les

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
That's my thought too. I don't expect it to be as good as a DVD source, but I don't understand why it seems quite a bit worse that a direct view TV. Too many artifacts and not enough punch in the colors.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
It's got to be bright enough to show the color and contrast, to seem bright as real daylight, and to be watched in actual daylight. That's a tall order.

------------------

Joe

Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same feelings when watching a game on my parents 21 yr old sony 27" tv and my LT150/HTPC + DScaler. The LT150 had more accurate colors (I think the 21 yr old sony is gonna blow soon...) but the old sony looked smoother somehow. I can't make sense of it.

BTW - can you AVIA-calibrate a tv tuner card? I tried, but not much luck. Still too grainy, not as smooth. I also noticed the black level changed dramatically from station to station...what's up with that? All these calibrations are for naught...

-Erik-

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Les:

Theoretically you're right, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. maybe it is because area of the screen goes up in proportion to the square of the diagonal. Normal NTSC noise and ghosts that are minimal on a 32" are really annoying at 100".

But if you find a way to do it, don't forget to share it immediately with all your friends here! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The "tweeker" solution would be to run Dscaler on the HTPC to deinterlace the NTSC and drive your progressive scan display at native resolution. I don't think any combination of equipment would better that arrangement, given a good signal. If you choose a TV card with a WDM driver, you could also get functionality similar to TiVO or ReplayTV using WinDVR software from Intervideo.

Gary

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mike:

I have a quadscan and that DEFINITELY helps. The DVDO would help as well. At least it doubles the signal. The Quadscan kicks it all the way to the projector's native resolution, in my case XGA. The resulting picture on a digital channel is a little soft but fairly clean and ghost free. On an analog channel, only so-so.

When it comes to broadcast TV, it's garbage in-garbage out. That's the basic problem. And the satellite providers have elected to have 6 jillion channels no one watches instead of fewer channels and greater bandwidth, hence greater quality.

So right now, we're all stuck between a rock and a hard place. If the network stations ever start broadcasting HDTV here, I'll do a direct antenna and feed for those.

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I used "double TV" out of my Quadscan and set the XP21N in its native mode. Projected on a high power screen with the ambient light controlled and it came pretty close. Of course this only produced about a 50" diagonal, I'd need to move the projector to get bigger. The high power gives the Sanyo the added punch to produce the deep green grass. A bit more noisy than my 32" tube, but getting closer.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Its the throw ratio that makes a 32" tube look good. If you get up real close, it also looks like crapola.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
822 Posts
What's worked for me is using the OTA module in my Dish 6000.

The best image can be gotten by watching the NTSC program on the DTV channel if the station broadcasts DTV. On the E*6000 the image is better and watchable this way on my FP. AFAIK, some stations upconvert the signals and some don't, so YMMV.

Lastly, the (non-HD) DBS images are also watchable with this config vs sending Y/C to the CI then to the FP.

AO.

[This message has been edited by midi-guy (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bump!

Well, it's been almost three months since the last posting...has anyone made any significant progress?

(My wife is gonna kill me if the picture is worse than our Toshiba 32" when she watches Buffy.)

-- Jack

(XP21N arrives this week, along with an RP91)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
An HTPC running DScaler is the best solution I came up with. On some channels it looks really good with great colors and very clear but on some channels it still looks bad. I have tried the Quadscan with minimal success.

·
Registered
728 Posts
In Trenton, our mail be thrown a bit off, but our cable is OK.

Speedvision, ESPN 1&2, Discovery, Animal Planet (Fangsgiving was GREAT), MTV2, TV Food Network, Philly ABC, NBC, FOX, AMC, E, Golf, NJN, TLC, TNN, some others come in just great. Fairly sharp, clear, little if any noise, good intense colors, some with Dolby Digital.... they are noticeably worse than a good DVD but totally watchable on a 100" diag at 10'+.

I have decided a DVDO, Quadcan or quiv is not needed right now - may get digital with HD and really enjoy the superbowl, but may not. Either way, I think the XW15 does one hell of a job taking a composite NTSC signal and putting it up on a wall.

Cheap GE hi-fi VCR, Panasonic RP51 prog DVD

Sanyo XW15

flat white apartment wall

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/kedelb...c=bc%26.view=t

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.