AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got all my audio equipment in one room and the Christmas tree in another. Christmas Carols would sure be nice to have in the Living Room during the holidays. I don't want to ruin the holiday spirit by crawling around in my attic to try to run wires.

Some wireless solution would be perfect. I've searched around and found some obviously less-than-perfect solutions. I'm wondering if there is anything out there that would give decent sound. I already have some decent speakers so all I really need is a stereo transmitter and reciever. Don't need surround or 5.1 or anything else - just two channels. If there's a good solution that includes speakers I'm not adverse to buying another set of speakers.

Thanks,

BK

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well the first ones that come to mind are the Advents.

If these are only going to be seasonal speakers then these may be fine in terms of sound quality. They certainly are not high-end though.

Radio Shack probably has some descent wireless speakers as well.

If you want something better then try the Terk signal transmitters. They will transmit any signal that can be sent through RCA connections. However, you will have to provide amplification for the speakers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I've heard less-than-good things about the Advents - too bad. I don't mind the possibility of having separate amplification for the Living Room speakers. That actually has some advantages such as good, separate volume and tonal control.

Does the Terk transmitter/receiver combo deliver a clean full-range signal?

Thanks,

BK

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I just bought the Leapfrog system that uses the existing phone wiring, attached the receiver to a powered computer speaker system that included the woofer. While not audiophile quality it does sound better than an inwall system with separate amp that I had previously used.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I too would be interested in anyone's experience with wireless audio transmitter/receivers. I need one to allow a 2nd stereo system in another room to duplicate what's currently playing on the main system. I've been researching a little bit and came across some others (some are 900 MHz, some are 2.4 GHz). One by Jensen (though not sure if still made), another by RF-LINK called WAVECOM-JR, one from Amphony L1000 (claims CD quality audio transfer by using uncompressed 3 Mbps transfer), and a couple of different Terks. I found most of these at Etronics. And of course, X10 has some wireless video/audio transmitter/receivers as well.

Personally, I'm a bit hesitant about the Terks since I don't think much about their antennas. And my brother has not had much luck with the X10 transmitter/receivers in the past.

My questions are more along the lines of interference with or from other wireless devices. I already have a 2.4 GHz phone, a 900 MHz phone, 2 IR headphones (OK, no interference risk here), and I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser 900MHz headphones (RS-45). Now I'm talking about adding another wireless transmitter/receiver (2.4 GHz or 900 MHz) so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the coexistence of so many wireless devices. Not to even bring up the topic of using a wireless computer network sometime in the future.

Thanks for any info,

Walter

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been using the 900mhz Jensens for awhile to provide music in my kitchen. Overall I've been pleased with their performance. The only interference I've experienced has been from the microwave oven. Whenever it 'kicks' in, the speakers emit a distorted humming sound rendering them unusable.

I found them somewhat limited in their range from the transmitter but fortunately my kitchen is about 30 feet from my electronics rack so they work fine. I tried them in the guest room, about 75 feet and they were pretty useless.

I also have 900mhz headphones and other than picking up the neighbors cordless phone on occasion, also work pretty well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
I also have 900mhz headphones and other than picking up the neighbors cordless phone on occasion, also work pretty well.

I hope your not my neighbor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.