AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

So, I need to order a new laptop in the next few days. I'd like to get one that would support WMV9 HD hardware acceleration when that is available. I know the latest desktop cards from ATI and NVIDIA will support this. But how about GPU's available for laptops? I'd heard that any of the ATI 9xxx series will support hardware decode when the software is available, but haven't found any confirmation of that.

Is there a list of these cards somewhere, or any advice anyone can share?

GPU's in otherwise interesting laptops include:

Radeon Mobility 9600

ATI Fire GL T2

GeForce FX Go5650

Any thoughts?

· Registered
3,653 Posts
I would say no on all of those, Pentium M based laptops do a pretty good job. Also although the latest Geforce GPU has WMV-HD support in the spec, it is currently slower (more CPU demands) than the cards that don't support it.

· Registered
533 Posts
I'm running an eMachines M6805 (AMD64, ATI9600) and don't have any problems playing any of the clips. That isn't the reason for the reply though, I've also loaded the pre-version of XP 64 bit along with ATI's beta 64 drivers. One of the panels for the driver has a checkbox for enabling WMV acceleration. I haven't checked it out very much since Media Player under the 64 bit is a bit of a dog. Under 32 bit playing the 720 Step into Liquid clip I have about 65% CPU utilization, under the 64 bit version it's pegged @ 100%. This makes it pretty hard to determine if the checkbox actually does something or not. All I wanted to point out is that the box is there.

Cheers...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.