Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while absorbing the combined wisdom that this forum represents. Thanks to y'all, I think I have narrowed down my PJ choices to just a few and it's time now to unlurk and take the next step.

In terms of intro, I am a PJ noobie and recently moved into a new house here in Bloomington, Indiana with a decent basement and a decent 15x25 room that'll be converted into a HT. I have read thousands of posts here over the past weeks discussing LCD vs. DLP, PJ X vs PJ Y, etc. and have come to the conclusion that I have to see things with my own eyes before making my final decision (I don't want to get stuck with a PJ that gives me headaches or worse still, that induces epilepsy :). The projectors I am interested in are H31, 4805, Z2/Z3, and AE700. Are there any of you within a reasonable distance who has any of these who wouldn't mind demo-ing it?

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to guide us newbies...

lethalrock

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Try the Fry's store on the north side of Indy just off of Highway 69 (technically it's in Fishers). I don't recall that they have any of these specific models, but they do have several projector set up and should be able to give you multiple data points to narrow your search and better understand the pros and cons of each technology.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Been there several times. Their demo setup is horrible and, last time I was there, it looked like they were getting rid of it to make room for more audio demos. They had Sharps, Mits and the only one worth looking at, the Sony HS51. There's only one screen in the room, the 80" Sony black screen and the rest project onto a beige wall. Even their dedicated theater room with the Sharp 10k projector does it no justice. They have no HD feed to any of the projectors.

Ovation in Castleton has the HS51 on a better demo (HD feed, light controlled, I believe on a Stewart screen), although its far from calibrated. They have an A/B of the HS51 versus a Runco 410 which I believe is 576p where as the HS51 is 720p. Not a true basis of comparison if you're comparing DLP to LCD.

Basically, its better than nothing, but I would take what you see with an enormous grain of salt. I won't comment on pricing but you'd be much better served talking to Mr. Jason Turk of AVS here. I couldn't find anywhere around here to get a good look at the BenQ PE7700 I went with, so I found a forum sponsor who offered a reasonable policy of no restocking fee under a couple of hours. Its tough to swallow spending that much sight unseen, but I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have a H31 projecting onto a 92 inch screen. It has been ISF calibrated as well and i am using a Denon 2900. I live in Cincinnati and if you wanted to make the trip over, I would be more than happy to demo one for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris, I see what you mean. Checked out Fry's, Ovation, and CompUSA today. You were right on. Fry's was terrible; they are clearly not into marketing home theater projectors. I wasn't all that impressed with their HS51 though I'm sure the PJ looks great in a light controlled room after calibration.

Ovation was better. I liked their 576p Runco CL410 projecting onto a Draper 100" screen, almost better than the more expensive 720p Runco and the hugely expensive Qualia. Again, not a fair comparison because I think the cheaper Runco was well calibrated and I was watching HD on it (the 720p Runco was being used with a DVD).

Coach2369, thanks so much for your offer. Since H31 is fairly high on my list right now, I may take you up on your offer. Will PM you later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.