AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. I know Horror of Dracula is Warners and Brides of of Dracula is Universal. I just found out one of my favorites which has not been released in the US since the 80's (VHS) Twins of Evil is Universal according to IMDb for US distribution.

I know these titles probably won't see the light of day on HD DVD anytime soon but nice to know it is a possibility with the studios involved. Vampire Circus is Fox for US distribution so that would be BD.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
on the contrary, I think there is a very strong possibility we may see some of the classic Hammers - at least the ones that Warner owns- on HD before too long.

It may not be this fall, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see at least HOD by next Halloween. Didn't it recently get restored? If I'm not mistaken, I think Warner may even have commented on releasing these again in the last chat they had- I'll try to go dig up the quotes if I can find them.

The Hammer set that Universal released 2 years ago looked fantastic. I'm sure most of those would look amazing in HD, though they wouldn't come close to the value of the sd set. I think I paid under $20 for 6 films there.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
found it

Quote:
I'd like to say I am also hoping to finally see NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS restored (and anamorphic.) On a genre-related note, many fans were disappointed with HORROR OF DRACULA's improper framing. As a pivotal horror film, and the greatest of the Hammers, it deserves a definitive presentation. Any plans to revisit this title? Thanks

Yes, we have been talking about re-doing all the Hammer films, especially for both HD and SD. The first group came out during a period here when proper care wasn't taken with classic titles. You remember those days? Happily they're over, and we know we need to fix our sins of the past. Be Patient, but we promise results.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Hammer rules and so do the DVD's they released a few years back, they are obviously struck from new HD masters and a bunch of them have even shown up on Monsters HD from Voom on Dish and they look damn good too, can't wait for these

-Gary

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan /forum/post/0

found it

Paulidan, thank you for the research. I have been a fan of gothic horror since I was a wee boy. What prompted me to make the post was watching Twins of Evil (1972) this evening courtesy of my Denon 3910 (made region free from posts on AVS - this disc is Region 2 - Hammer House of Horror The Vampire Collection.) I was just curious if there were any others that appreciate Hammer Studio films for putting out some very luscious films on a shoestring budget.

I have been very impressed with Warners and their commitment to high def (at least from a HD DVD perspective.
It is good to know that they are at least aware they have a classic in HOD in their vaults.

I was also impressed with Universal's The Hammer Horror Series (which included Brides of Dracula) - The Franchise Collection. I would like to see all of these in HD DVD.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

Hammer rules and so do the DVD's they released a few years back, they are obviously struck from new HD masters and a bunch of them have even shown up on Monsters HD from Voom on Dish and they look damn good too, can't wait for these

-Gary

Pleased to see you in the fold Gary!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Between the Hammer Classics Universal has, and the Classic Universal Monster films.. I'm just drooling over the hidef prospects...

I've got every hammer film I could track down (even imported such great titles as "Hands of the Ripper" and "Twins of Evil") - I would re-buy in an instant for hidef versions.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I will be one of the first in line to get my hands on the Hammer catalog when it makes its debut on high definition. I remembered reading that comment from the HTF discussion as well. I got very excited about the prospect of seeing "Horror of Dracula" and "Curse of Frankenstein" in HD. Lets hope we see a title or two this Halloween. I am also hoping that Fox will be motivated to release the MGM-owned title, "The Hound of the Baskervilles." The pairing of Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes and André Morell as Watson are second only to Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce's characterizations. It was also a non-anamorphic transfer, so a pristine widescreen version would be most appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

I will be one of the first in line to get my hands on the Hammer catalog when it makes its debut on high definition. I remembered reading that comment from the HTF discussion as well. I got very excited about the prospect of seeing "Horror of Dracula" and "Curse of Frankenstein" in HD. Lets hope we see a title or two this Halloween. I am also hoping that Fox will be motivated to release the MGM-owned title, "The Hound of the Baskervilles." The pairing of Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes and André Morell as Watson are second only to Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce's characterizations. It was also a non-anamorphic transfer, so a pristine widescreen version would be most appreciated!

Please don't forget the under appreciated "Vampire Circus" - true you either love this title or you don't (I do
) Fox has the US distribution rights to this one so Blu-ray for that one.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman /forum/post/0

where do i sign up to buy?

My original post was to find out if there would be any interest and if there were any other Hammer fans out there. Unfortunately we may have to wait until the sales of The Matrix and Pirates decline a bit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you'll be happy to know that a Danish producer bought the enitre Hammer library, and is looking into not only making new Hammer films (and possibly a Hammer horror tv show) but also possibly releasing the original films theatrically!

·
Registered
202 Posts
HOD is playing at Cannes in a fully restored version which means we will no doubt see a HD release in the next 12 months.

All the censored footage is back in as well as the original credit block with the original "Dracula" title as opposed to "Horror Of Dracula".

Big News Indeed!!!!

/\\/\\

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse /forum/post/0

HOD is playing at Cannes in a fully restored version which means we will no doubt see a HD release in the next 12 months.

All the censored footage is back in as well as the original credit block with the original "Dracula" title as opposed to "Horror Of Dracula".

Big News Indeed!!!!

/\\/\\

AWESOME news.

I don't care what it costs, I will buy it.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Lets not forget Quartermass and the Pit, a seemingly forgotten hammer film.

Not by me. One of the best low-budget science fiction films ever made. Known in the US as Five Million Years to Earth.

I hang around this forum for that day I can get an HD display and see all of this content (and also waiting to see if the prices will go down). Hammer films frequently seem to have a less than optimal film stock. Y'all really think High Definition of these nifty little films will be worth the high expense?

I do remember renting a 16mm print of their Dracula as a teen and I remember it was fine-grained and looked really terrific.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse /forum/post/0

Big News Indeed!!!!

/\\/\\

I do believe that the Warners folks at the most recent Home Theater Forum chat did say that HORROR OF DRACULA and THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN were definite possibilities for high definition releases.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

Lets not forget Quartermass and the Pit, a seemingly forgotten hammer film. I'ld snatch up just about any Hammer film on HD.

J

Not by me. I have it on DVD.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a link that was emailed (from fellow Hammer fans) to me regarding the recent restoration of HOD that was shown at Cannes.

http://www.4rfv.co.uk:80/industrynews.asp?id=61751

I wonder if this print would be what Warners was alluding to about a high definition release of HOD. It seems that they contributed quite a bit to this effort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.