AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am once again in the market for a HDTV. I just sold my Toshiba TW56X81.

Have not kept up with new developments, so this may be a dumb question.

Are there any RP HDTV sets that allow me to hook a HTPC directly to it ie. via DB15 video connector like standard computer monitors ? I am only interested in Rear Projection Sets.

Also if the above was not a limiting factor ... whats the best bang for the buck on >56" sets ?

Thanks

Max

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Some technoid may jump all over me, but isn't that a standard VGA connector? If so, then the RCA MM series RPTVs all had VGA connectors to hook up with the DTC-100 last time I looked. But you needn't limit yourself to their products, as a simple VGA breakout cable can be had for around 30 bucks that will enable hookup to a RGB-HV equipped set (pretty standard, like the Sony's). Many sets do only have component inputs, and an adapter is also available for those for a bit over 100 bucks.

Good luck.

JOhn

------------------
Visualize Whirled Peass> c>

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I believe you can also include any set with the 5-wire RGBHV inputs. You just get a set of cables to convert between them (Radio Shack reportedly has them but you also have to get BNC->RCA adaptors too. A couple of bucks more.

I believe some Mits have DB-15 connectors but their limited to standard VGA. However, they also have RGBHV 5-wire inputs (RCA connectors). I think Mits are pretty sticky about the resolution you send to it (standard only). Perhaps the HTPC forum here has more info.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bdenman (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Agree that a resolution restriction on VGA is important to pin down. Seems pretty fuzzy in many cases. For example, while my Philips 64PH9905 manual lists 800X600 as a maximum computer or other progressive input for my DB15 VGA connection, the designer of the set pointed out I could actually feed any HDTV-type signal into it--the same signals I'd put into the HD connections (5 dual-function RGBHV/YPrPb BNC-type jacks). -- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.