AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,


We've had out Denon 5900 since soon after it first came out (so, just over 4 years now), so it is far from a new machine, but it still produces gorgeous standard def output...when it produces at all! It's alway been a bit temperamental, rejecting disks that other player will play. But the problem seems to have gotten worse. Today, my husband tried to watch our Alias DVDs. We've watched these before, but not in a while. They are full factory versions (not just burned DVDs, which have actually given us LESS problems but at least would be somewhat understandable) that have not given us problems, but the DVD player just gives us "Disk Error." My husband estimates it won't play perfectly good disks 10% of the time, and he's ready to chuck it out the window. Now, this was a $2k machine when we bought it. So, if we just get rid of it now, that's $500/year. That's not OK with me, especially when we were looking to invest in a Blu-Ray player soon. Plus, I am not willing to deal with any standard def output less gorgeous than what I'm used to from the 5900!


We have the most recent firmware. We can't think of what else to do. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I did a search but I didn't find anything. Obviously, it's out of warranty, so I don't see sending it to Denon as a great solution.


Thanks!


Joy
 

·
One-Man Content Creator
Joined
·
25,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyElyse /forum/post/12871568


We have the most recent firmware. We can't think of what else to do. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

I have no experience with that model, but if it were mine I would disconnect it from power for 30 minutes just to see if there is some sort of system reset. I would open the box and blow out any dust, paying particular attention to the laser. I would reseat all of the connectors and chips inside. Flex the internal cables.


If that didn't work I would ask Denon how much to repair.


If too much, I would give up.


-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyElyse /forum/post/12871568


Hi,


We've had out Denon 5900 since soon after it first came out (so, just over 4 years now), so it is far from a new machine, but it still produces gorgeous standard def output...when it produces at all! It's alway been a bit temperamental, rejecting disks that other player will play. But the problem seems to have gotten worse. Today, my husband tried to watch our Alias DVDs. We've watched these before, but not in a while. They are full factory versions (not just burned DVDs, which have actually given us LESS problems but at least would be somewhat understandable) that have not given us problems, but the DVD player just gives us "Disk Error." My husband estimates it won't play perfectly good disks 10% of the time, and he's ready to chuck it out the window. Now, this was a $2k machine when we bought it. So, if we just get rid of it now, that's $500/year. That's not OK with me, especially when we were looking to invest in a Blu-Ray player soon. Plus, I am not willing to deal with any standard def output less gorgeous than what I'm used to from the 5900!


We have the most recent firmware. We can't think of what else to do. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I did a search but I didn't find anything. Obviously, it's out of warranty, so I don't see sending it to Denon as a great solution.


Thanks!


Joy

I kind of miss my 5900. I loved the sound and the picture, but the macroblocking on my display got to be too much. A marantz DV9600 has taken its place.


As far as your problem is concerned, a bad transport mechanism could be the cause. I had the same problem on my Marantz and had the transport replaced. It has performed flawlessly ever since. Since you are out of warranty, maybe you can find a local repair shop that can look at it for you. If the repair costs more than, say, a new Oppo player, I would take the hit and get something brand new
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
There's a possibility that the laser has accumulated debris on the lens (smokers in your house I guess?).


It could be as simple as clean the lens. Dont do this unless the unit is completely off and unplugged, and only if you're somewhat technically inclined.


I wouldnt ever touch any electroncs in an irritated mood as that almost never turns out well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Morr /forum/post/12873557


I kind of miss my 5900. I loved the sound and the picture, but the macroblocking on my display got to be too much. A marantz DV9600 has taken its place.


As far as your problem is concerned, a bad transport mechanism could be the cause. I had the same problem on my Marantz and had the transport replaced. It has performed flawlessly ever since. Since you are out of warranty, maybe you can find a local repair shop that can look at it for you. If the repair costs more than, say, a new Oppo player, I would take the hit and get something brand new

I had problems with my 5900 after about 2.5 years, similar to yours.

I had the transport replaced and it has been performing properly since then.

Cost in Europe was about $150.-


Adri.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to you both. I had actually assumed my husband had cleaned out player, as he is a computer guy and always taking apart hardware. However, he'd just assume that since the player had always been temperamental, that was the problem. He gave it a thorough cleaning this morning (including completely dismantling and cleaning the transport unit), and wahla, the problem disks are playing. In fact it is more responsive than it's even been. Maybe it needed that all along.


I feel a bit silly not trying that first, but thanks for the kick in the pants. And if we have more problems soon, we'll look into getting the transport replaced.


Joy
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top