AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a capable home theater receiver that meets the following requirements:

1) Has at least 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs and one 1.3 output

2) The HDMI switching must have the option to completely disable any video post-processing/upconversion so that it works in a primitive "pass-through" mode, only outputting the exact signal that it is fed, and must be able to pass through an unaltered 60hz 1080p signal.

3) Not cost an arm and a leg.

The reason for #2 is that I have recently purchased an Olevia 265T with the onboard Silicon Optix Realta HQV processor and I would rather have this TV handle all conversion/processing duties to the incoming signal than have the receiver use its inferior DCDi chip or what-have-you meddle with 1080p conversion. Is this sound reasoning?

In particular the Onkyo lineup looks nice as far as features/price, but it is extremely unclear via their website and forum searches here if their HDMI switching has a pass-through mode. I also notice a few models with Realta HQV chips, but they are more expensive and since I already have an HQV in the digital chain, I don't need another. I'm open to all brands, however.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I think most AVRs with scaling capabilities have that ability. You can often download manuals for receivers which should give you a good idea of the options you have.

I can turn on HDMI upconversion on my Yamaha allowing me to run a single HDMI cable to my TV without any deinterlacing or scaling being applied.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12897690

I can turn on HDMI upconversion on my Yamaha allowing me to run a single HDMI cable to my TV without any deinterlacing or scaling being applied.

I'm confused by this statement - "turning on HDMI upconversion" is by definition scaling/post-processing

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helkins /forum/post/12898020

I'm confused by this statement - "turning on HDMI upconversion" is by definition scaling/post-processing

I believe "upconversion" means taking analog input and coding it to output via HDMI.

"Scaling" is changing the resolution during this process.

So "upconversion" would be takinga 480p input and outputting it still at 480p via HDMI. "Scaling" would be "upconverting" PLUS changing the resolution to 1080i for example.

I am all for upconversion so I can use just one cable.

But, I would prefer that "Scaling" not happen on the AVR and leave that to my TV to do in many cases.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Well, there's no way to get component video to HDMI without HDMI upconversion. You can certainly run two cables to avoid that, and then you will have to switch between HDMI and component on your TV (some people do that with customizable remote controls.)

I don't consider HDMI upconversion to be either deinterlacing OR scaling; it is video processing though. But it's necessary video processing for the simplest switching solution. In my opinion, if your AVR can't handle all video switching, video switching is much less useful

I can turn it off, and run a component cable to my TV, which would meet your needs.

No need for everyone to jump on me! It's just semantics
I just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
p.s. And it's passing through HDMI with no conversions. It's only component conversion I was talking about and only to HDMI. It's still passing through component unchanged over component. And that can be turned off to.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helkins /forum/post/12897307

In particular the Onkyo lineup looks nice as far as features/price, but it is extremely unclear via their website and forum searches here if their HDMI switching has a pass-through mode. I also notice a few models with Realta HQV chips, but they are more expensive and since I already have an HQV in the digital chain, I don't need another. I'm open to all brands, however.

Thanks in advance.

The Onkyo's have a pass through mode.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Ugh, it's TRANSCODING, not upconversion or any other incorrectly used term (analog video to HDMI).

AFAIK, EVERY HDMI receiver on the market has a pass-through option. It would be awful silly if they didn't. ALL HDMI 1.3 receivers should pass 1080p/60 or 1080p/24 with no issues (actually any properly implemented HDMI 1.1 receiver should do the same).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Transcoding is a good term. But manufacturers are using the term "upconversion". I have yet to see any use the term transcoding.

I use the term the same way they do, because that's what people will read on the spec sheets.

Unfortunately, these same manufacturers use the term upconverting on DVD players to mean something else.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12898295

p.s. And it's passing through HDMI with no conversions. It's only component conversion I was talking about and only to HDMI. It's still passing through component unchanged over component. And that can be turned off to.

No worries, thanks for clarifying. I wasnt even thinking about other video sources.

Cheers.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
The Denon models 1908, 1708 & 1508 all have HDMI 1.3a video pass-through, and the 1508 can be found for

Next question...

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/12898793

The Denon models 1908, 1708 & 1508 all have HDMI 1.3a video pass-through, and the 1508 can be found for

Next question...

And ALL have only two HDMI inputs, thanks anyways!

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helkins /forum/post/12897307

I am in the market for a capable home theater receiver that meets the following requirements:

1) Has at least 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs and one 1.3 output

2) The HDMI switching must have the option to completely disable any video post-processing/upconversion so that it works in a primitive "pass-through" mode, only outputting the exact signal that it is fed, and must be able to pass through an unaltered 60hz 1080p signal.

3) Not cost an arm and a leg.

The Yamaha RX-V1800 and RX-V3800 will do exactly what you are looking for. In fact, ALL video signals coming in through the HDMI inputs are passed through without any processing whatsoever, regardless of resolution. The end user has no choice in the matter.

On the Yamaha, only 480i/p and 576 signals coming in through the analog inputs may be upconverted/scaled/deinterlaced.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Most receivers don't modify the HDMI video portion if its HDMI in to HDMI out. There's really no reason for them to. I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR605 with a TERK HDMI-31 switch. This will give you a total of 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs and set you back around $460 total (not including cables).

·
Registered
876 Posts
The denon 4308ci has the ability to shut off the upconversion. Just go into the menu and turn it off. I'm selling mine, getting the 5308ci and have no need for the 4308ci. It's a couple of months new.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12898347

AFAIK, EVERY HDMI receiver on the market has a pass-through option. It would be awful silly if they didn't. ALL HDMI 1.3 receivers should pass 1080p/60 or 1080p/24 with no issues (actually any properly implemented HDMI 1.1 receiver should do the same).

The HK 247 and 347 alter everything except 1080p. Silly, but true.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Aces /forum/post/12900234

Most receivers don't modify the HDMI video portion if its HDMI in to HDMI out. There's really no reason for them to. I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR605 with a TERK HDMI-31 switch. This will give you a total of 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs and set you back around $460 total (not including cables).

Or a monoprice.com HDMI switch. They can be had for about $50.

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII /forum/post/12901370

Or a monoprice.com HDMI switch. They can be had for about $50.

I recommended the Terk cause it automatically switches to the most recently activated source but I also have a monoprice switch for my PC. Both work but the monoprice ones require you to press a button. The Terk ones can be found for around $55.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No desire for a separate HDMI switch. I'm actually "downgrading" from separate pre pro and amp to make life more simple (and not crowd up a smaller viewing room). My 6+ component rack will hopefully be consolidated to a two shelf TV stand with a lone receiver, HTPC, and FIOS STB.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Onkyo 705 doesnt process HDMI Video in-> out unless you turn on the 480p->720p mode, and even then all other formats are untouched, however this feature is off unless you access a hidden menu. All the video processing in the 705 is meant for Analog to Digital conversion basically

Also it has 3 HDMI ports which all can process audio.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts