AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, I have a 3-4 yr old Pioneer 1015TX receiver. Through its whole life, it would cut off on me when I would really crank it up, usually in the 0 to +5 range on the volume, especially on a loud passage. To fix this, I decided to get external amps for the front 3 channels and the sub. I figured it was the protection circuit kicking in from overheating or clipping risk.

Well, I got the new amps for Christmas and it did fine until yesterday when it started kicking out again, but this time at much lower volumes, say around -15. Here's what I found when I did some troubleshooting:

- It did not do it in stereo mode, even cranked all the way up.

- It did it for all inputs, my two satellite inputs and DVD player.

- It did not do it when I had the amps turned down. Only when I turned the amps up did it kick out.

- It did not do it for any one channel with amp turned all the way up. Only with all channels up, and in any surround mode.

I checked all the connections, and everything seemed to be OK.

I would rather not replace the receiver, but will if I have to. So that leaves me with two questions:

1) Is there anything more I can do to try and diagnose the problem and possibly correct it?

2) Is it worth it to try to get it repaired?

Thanks,

leonp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check your speaker connections to make sure that no speaker wire threads are bridging or getting close to bridging the gap. I had a similar issue with my denon amp and i finally tracked it down to one thread from one speaker wire on one speaker that was sticking out funny and nearly touching the opposite post. Whenever I'd turn up the volume and a loud noise would come out the receiver would cut out just like what you're saying.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a look at that when I get home. I looked at the connections, but did not carefully study every speaker connection from start to finish. That could be it; I'll take a look.

leonp

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
you could also have a AC power problem if the circuit all that equipment is on has other demands for power as well. Is the outlet a dedicated circuit, or shared by other outlets and devices ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the advice. I went home last night and disconnected EVERYTHING to my receiver. Funny, I had to do this anyway for another reason, but killed two birds with one stone. I also looked at all my speaker connections, and did find one that was loose for a rear speaker.

After doing all this, and trying it again, no problems! Cranked it all the way up, and no cut-off. So again, thanks for the help!

leonp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts