AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any independant measured HS20 CRs available.

I recall that the best magazine review number for the HS10 was WSR's 623:1. I am wondering how much better the HS20 might be?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the hs10 measured 667:1 in perfect vision

·
Registered
122 Posts
 www.cineforhome.de, a German site, reports that they measured a CR of 1220:1 for the HS-20 when setting the contrast to the maximum value, so it gets close to the 1300:1 that Sony claims it can do. After adjusting picture parameters for best picture quality, though, they measured 860:1. They claim that 860:1 is still an excellent contrast ratio for LCD projection.

- Martin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the website to cineforhome Martin.

I tried the link, but it came up dead, so I changed the .de to .com and now the website comes up fine.

For those of you who's german is rusty, use Google's translator for reading the review in english.

-INAB

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hi,

I have to add that the 860:1 contrast was with perfect 6500k color temperature and perfect luminance tracking. So yes, the HS-20 is really impressive in that respect.

Regards,

Ekkehart, Cine4Home

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cine4Home, wow, "welcome" to the forum I should say. I've been very impressed with your reviews of the recent LCD projectors, and found them a very interesting read (even though my german isn't that good).

Thanks for a job well done!

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, I did have the HS-10 for a year, but I didn't have a lightmeter to measure contrast ratio. But I did manage to test the HS-20, and on my regular contrast setting (72) I get about 650:1 in contrast, if I increase the contrast ratio to the default 80 I actually get a bit over 800:1 in contrast, and on my machine/room it maxes out at about 1000:1 while the contrast is on max. (I could probably get even more out of it, but then it wouldn't have any kind of decent colors.)

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Cine4Home, wow, "welcome" to the forum I should say. I've been very impressed with your reviews of the recent LCD projectors, and found them a very interesting read (even though my german isn't that good).
My sentiments also. Any chance for an English translation for us linguistically challenged yanks :D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes, i dont see any way right now to get beyond 860:1 without losing correct colors or correct luminance tracking.

When i set everything to maximum, the HS-20 made around 1200:1 but with wrong colors, clipping etc.

Ekkehart

·
Banned
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cine4Home
Hi,

I have to add that the 860:1 contrast was with perfect 6500k color temperature and perfect luminance tracking. So yes, the HS-20 is really impressive in that respect.

Regards,

Ekkehart, Cine4Home
Your site has the best reviews and I REALLY appreciate it!

What was the HS20 measured lumen output under these conditions?

From your review (poorly translated):

"If one combines the lamp savings procedure with closed iris screen, the Sony projector generates his best possible bull's-eye value. Here that persuades few rest light on whole line: the bull's-eye value is high enough to reproduce very much dark film scenes pleasing on the canvas also, without details are swallowed by the rest light. The astonishing in this combination is that the maximum brightness level recorder is still high enough to bring also bright film scenes plausibly brightly on the canvas."

I have a 8' (horizontal) screen in a black room. The brightness and contrast are excellent!

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's really high for an LCD. Good progress.

Even the InFocus 7200 and 5700 measure below 800:1 according to SGHT.

For those who haven't read the 5700 review, it measured 796:1 full on to full off.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@ Noah: No, i dont think CC-Filters are a solution. If you increase RGB Levels or overall Contrast setting, clipping kicks in immedeately :-( .

@David777: I had an Infocus 5700 test-sample here the other day. After some calibration, i got over 900:1 with it. So at least with the machines I had here, the Infocus wins in contrast.

@softengr: Unfortunately i dont remember the Lumen-Data.. too many reviews lately :) but like you say.. brightness is still high enough even with closed Iris...

Greetings,

Ekkehart, www.cine4home.de

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mr. Ekkhart,

First of all, your site is everything we have hoped for around this forum. I definitely appreciate your in-depth analysis of all the Z2/AE500/Z200 and the HS20.

I must confess that after reading your reviews I have decided finally on a HS20 after seriously leaning towards the Z200.

Are you going to publish the method for calibrating the HS20 ? A starting point would help.

·
Banned
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JulianVL
Mr. Ekkhart,

First of all, your site is everything we have hoped for around this forum. I definitely appreciate your in-depth analysis of all the Z2/AE500/Z200 and the HS20.

I must confess that after reading your reviews I have decided finally on a HS20 after seriously leaning toward the Z200.

Are you going to publish the method for calibrating the HS20 ? A starting point would help.
Congratulations on the decision to purchase the HS20.

One quality control check should be made: Upon receipt check that the LCD panels are aligned fairly well with the built-in crosshatch pattern. Exchange the unit if they are seriously out of alignment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.