AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

been watching these forums for many years with great delight!

In fact it was the massive postings on the NEC HT1000 from great members like Tom "Guitarman" that convinced me to buy this unit.

Just wondering if any HT1000/1100 owners have made the switch to 1080p and what did you choose?

I am interested in the Mitsubishi HC5000 as this seems to be a great price option into 1080p and from some initial viewings, came away really impressed.

However, I have had 2 LCD projectors prior to the NEC DLP, and I can say I really didnt like the amount of dust that would gather on the panels in the LCD's, a problem which has not happened at all with my DLP.

So, in the transition into 1080p, I have decided to buy an entry level price point pj which can get do me for 2-3 years and then based on the initial lesser investment makes the path of continuous upgrading less painful.

Look forward to anyones comments or feedback based on their HT1000 viewing compared to 1080p and secondly do I buy a Mitsubishi HC5000 or Epson TW1000?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I upgraded from my HT1K in Nov, when I got a Pearl.

For one thing, It's been great to finally have a 16:9 format pj.

I had my NEC on a small little cart-like thing I made, and I always had to move it around back and forth, and adjust its height with the feet every time I wanted to change aspect ratios (trying to maintain CH).

Then there is the issue of screendoor. I used to frequently defocus the NEC a bit to try to slur or soften this aspect. The optics were better than on my previous LT150 for doing this, so I was happy at the time, but now- the ability to sharply focus and still not experience screendoor effect poping up in ANY kind of content or situation is...worth the price of admission, imo.

there is also the fact that the Pearl runs quieter than the HT1K, which means I don't have to try to baffle the sound of it, and it's black level is much lower. I can still do shadow puppets on an all black screen- but there have been more than a few times where a fade-to-black sequence sent a bolt of electricity down my spine, it was so startling.

sorry I can't comment on the Mits or the Epson, but so far I love 1080p in general.

on the subject of dust- I found out early on, but too late to get NEC to do anything about it, that my brand new HT1K had a dust spec. Until the bulb lost a lot of brightness (about the 1000 hr mark, maybe) This was a near continuous frustration and annoyance. The last thousand hours it became less and less apparent- however by the time the thing got to 2000 hrs, it was so dim it was fatiguing to watch at all. I was almost on the fence about buying a new bulb and waiting for more feedback on these first 1080ps- but then I knew I would get that dust blob back in full force with a new bulb, and that helped with the decision to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Sometime this year I'll be donating the HT1k. All things considered it was a step up from what it replaced, and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, and apart from the inital dust problem, it was a very reliable unit- but I'm very happy to be out of 768/576 x 1024 land.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone ever have any powering on issues with this projector. Occasionally, I must not be holding down the power button long enough or too long. I cant tell why honestly. It was about a year ago it would not power on, and then it was perfectly fine. It is flashing red showing the lamp error, but for the life of me I can not get it to power on. I hold the remote power button for two-three seconds even as long as a five count, but no luck.

I check the lamp life regularly and I am only about 60% down on the life left.

Power up issue/behavoir solved:

FRAKIN LAMP!

Well I have yet to fire it up because I just brought it home yesterday but the service tech said it is up and running. Did a maintenence cleaning as well.

Unreal that the warning light did not indicate anything and the lamp life meter is pretty unacurate in my opinion after all this.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but the home theater remodel won't be completed till this fall, so I'm not in a hurry. I can't decide between a lower price 1080 or a top quality 720 projector (dealers around here are practically giving away Yamaha and Marantz 720 projectors). Since we're coming from 1024X768 either will look like a upgrade in resolution. I just don't want to give up picture quality for more pixels. After reading the Athens shoot out I'm even more undecided. Most likely I'll just wait to see what comes out at CEDIA this fall.

·
Registered
JVC NZ8, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 7.2.4 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,610 Posts
I bought the NEC HT1000 for $4K on a powerbuy as a stop-gap to avoid spending $10K+ for a 720p DLP. I knew that 1080p would eventually come out at a decent price and decided to go with the NEC based on price and reviews. I was glad that I did and have kept it as a back up. Great projector for it's time.

I upgraded to the Ruby last year at a decent price. I like LCOS and think this model puts out a very nice picture. It's a little on the large size and puts out some heat, but is very quiet with a great picture IMHO. I don't see me upgrading anytime soon. I figure that it will last me for years until LEDs replace bulbs with proven history at a decent price or some other reason comes along that "forces" me to upgrade. I'd recommend considering a used/discounted Ruby or Pearl from Sony or maybe something new like the JVC. Don't rule out LCOS, but of course, DLP works well too if you had no rainbow issue with the HT1000.

1920x1080p is a noticeable jump in resolution from the XGA NEC, especially since I used it in 16:9 mode. The NEC had great blacks, but the SXRD is even better, with obviously better fill factor, etc. The NEC was great in it's day, but if you can afford an upgrade, there are some very nice choices out there or around the corner. And the 1080 sources are here too. Good luck with the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
I've had an HT1000 for about four years and have enjoyed it immensely. I'm thinking about upgrading to the new JVC RS1. I'm wondering about the lumen difference. The JVC says it will deliver 700 lumens. Does anyone know what the HT1000 is? The manual doesn't say.

Jack

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Quoting the Wide Screen Review article on the HT1000:

measured the overall light output and on-off contrast ratio with proper adjustment to D65 and no compression at 100 IRE. All measurements were made in total darkness. The image aspect ratio was 16:9. Light output using the full 4:3 panel would be 33 percent higher and contrast ratio would be unaffected. In Normal lamp mode with the Iris fully open, light output was 429 lumens and the contrast ratio was 853. In Normal lamp mode, with the Iris fully closed, light output was 307 lumens and contrast was 1290. In Eco-Mode with the Iris fully open, light output was 357 lumens and the contrast ratio was 830. In Eco-Mode with the Iris fully closed, light output was 259 lumens and the contrast ratio was 1271.

Using the HT1100 lamp gives you about a 10% increase over the now unavailable HT1000 lamp. Adding the Hoya FL Day filter increased the contrast to around 1800:1

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
The HT 1000 I think was 1000 lumens. The RS 1 is absolutly bright enought for home theater. Dont get all cought up in lumen numbers.

The NEC was really a lower end PJ since it wasnt using a 16:9 chip. I dont know why so many people raved about that projector. Yea it had a good picture but you could have gotten better 16:9 machines at the time for abotu the same price.

They were reliable Ill give NEC that!

Me personally Im not too much in a hurry to jump on the 1080p band waggon. 720p is fine enough for me and even when blue ray or HD DVD decide which one will win you will still be able to wach it at 720p and it will look as good as HDTV does at 720p.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Thank you for the lumen info. When it first came out the HT1000 streeted at about $4,000-$5,000, as I recall and the least expensive 16x9 that was trustable was around $10,000. That's why the 1000 was so popular. Also, it was known to have the best black level and contrast ratio at the time and was very tunable for a great picture.

Now the RS1 comes out at about the same price level as the HT1000 was back then and the comparable 1080Ps as relates to blacks and contrast ratio are at least $10,000. So-o-o-o.....Whatever comes around goes around!

Jack

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB /forum/post/0

Thank you for the lumen info. When it first came out the HT1000 streeted at about $4,000-$5,000, as I recall and the least expensive 16x9 that was trustable was around $10,000. That's why the 1000 was so popular. Also, it was known to have the best black level and contrast ratio at the time and was very tunable for a great picture.

Jack

Jack is dead on. I still own mine and still marvel at how beautiful a picture it projects. From the beginning mine was set up on a 52 inch by 92 inch ( 16:9) screen so it just never occurs to me in my thinking that this is a 4:3 projector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I still have mine and love it.

Going on my third bulb with no problems whatsover.

I run 130" Goo paint 4:3 screen on my wall and get compliments from anyone that sees it.

When I bought it in 2003, it was by far the best bang for the buck and it still keeps up with some of the newer models from what I've seen.

I'm in no hurray to upgrade since this market continues to change so quickly.

If I spend $5k now on a nice 1080P it will be $2k in 2 years.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Bruno,

I would suggest that you consider purchasing a Da-Lite High Power screen for your 1000. When I converted from a gray screen to the High Power with 2.8 gain the picture just exploded into a 3D look with great contrast and brilliant colors. In a fixed configuration I don't think the screen is very expensive and would do wonders for your theater.

Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.