AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Any idea when the bulk of the Kubrick titles are going to be released? I know there were rumors of an HD DVD box set, and I also know that many of these films have been transferred in HD for cable screenings, but are there any more updates?

thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
793 Posts
Good call. I'd love to know this as well. My wallet is open and ready ...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Speaking of which, why are the current transfers of Kubrick movies in HD DVD so bad? All tier 4...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't seen the existing Kubrick hd dvd titles, but unfortunately there always seems to be a quality problem with these films, dating back to their original release on DVD. The quality was so bad they essentially re- released them. I still have THE SHINING original (pre- remaster) release, and it's akin to a decent VHS transfer at best.

In the case of FULL METAL JACKET, it is possible that the negative is in bad shape. Many of the 1980's film stocks were awful from a preservation standpoint (hence the Scorcese/ Spielbergh preservation movement), but SPARTACUS should look better than it apparently does.

I don't know what the problem is, but the bulk of these films are killer apps for me, and the release of FMJ made me think (though possibly mistaken) that the rest of his films were right around the corner.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The sloppy treatment of Kubrick films is particularly tragic given the fact that his cinematography was top-notch. Barry Lyndon, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut. Of course the great Stanley K. was nothing if not eccentric so who knows? Maybe he hated the idea of people watching his films on TV and told the studios to screw up the transfers! (That's a joke...I hope!)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am sure Warner could crank out the HD DVD's of these titles, but, they have to wait until they can find the facility that can make the BR copy at the same time. Warner should put out all HD DVD titles when they are ready and not worry about parity until they have the THD disc production.

·
Registered
29,560 Posts
After the problems with the 1080i vertically filtered master for Full Metal Jacket were brought to light, Warner stated that they would be delaying some of their originally planned titles until they could be remastered. I'm sure the rest of the Kubricks fall into that category.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

After the problems with the 1080i vertically filtered master for Full Metal Jacket were brought to light, Warner stated that they would be delaying some of their originally planned titles until they could be remastered. I'm sure the rest of the Kubricks fall into that category.

Well if that's what's taking them so long, I don't mind waiting. I am dying to see 2001 in HD though. A Clockwork Orange is one of my all-time favorite films, but if the recent INHD broadcast is any indication, it's not gonna look all that great with the added resolution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.