AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Mits 52725 but the fan noise really bothers me. It is about 4-6 inches from the wall and I can hear the fan over the tv when the volume is turned below 20 on internal speakers. My room is rather large with vaulted ceiling and I am kind of surprised the fan is as loud as it is. Anyone have any quieting techniques they have used? Any special fabric, etc to put on the wall behind the fan to kill the sound?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was/am in the same boat as you... the fan in my Philips Cineos was/is really quite loud.

You can buy acoustic foam from some of the hi-fi shops in town, or from a company that does high-end home theater or commercial audio installations. This foam looks like an egg crate (and may go by the same name) and when mounted on the wall behind the TV should cut down a lot of the reflected noise.

Keep in mind this may carry with it a steep WAF penalty, and depending on the room and the set may not cut enough of the noise to make it worthwhile :rolleyes:

I've also heard rumors of people actually changing out or modifying the fans in their sets, or building shrouds over the ports, but it seems kind of apocryphal to me and I'm certainly not about to tinker with something like that!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
There are other more WAF friendly solutions. You can get a canvas stretcher frame at McMicheals or any arts and crafts store at whatever size will fit behind your TV nicely. Then maybe with the WAF's help, pick out some thick heavy fabric that goes with your decor, wall color, etc. Then simply cut it a few inches over the frame width and staple it on the back side and mount. You can also add a piece of foam behind the fabric for more sound absorption.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting problem that virtually all of the new tech (i.e. non CRT based) HDTVs have. The problem is how to cool those hot lamps needed to illuminate the image? But even CRTs make a hi pitched whine, we are just too old to hear it! ;)

When you combine your DLP, LCOS, LCD, ... HDTV with your PVR, and your other components the noise floor can become an issue during the quiet scenes. I put my PVR (Sony Sat t60 w/160gig upgrade 2nd drive) well back in the cabinet to lower its noise floor. The TV is low enough by itself not to bother. Its the combination that makes it an issue. The PVR in the bedroom is under the big dresser!! You have to point the remote at the floor but at least it does not sound like the office.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.