AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My HT room is 27x16x9. I'm having a problem in locating the precise position for side surrounds as I have three rows of seats. I would like to get the same surround effect for all the three rows.

At present I'm driving fronts (Gold) and subs (Platinum and Silver)with Triads. I'm in shop for surrounds.

I appreciate any suggestions and input in the following:

1. What type of surrounds should I go for considering threes rows of seats?: Direct or Dipole?

2. I would like to use the rear surrounds also for 5 channel music.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I can't give you a bull's eye-specific recommendation without knowing more, but...

If the room is relatively dead, I would do two pair of dipoles on the side walls, with one pair in line with the first row and one pair in line with the third row. Mount them at least a few feet above ear level, or put them in the ceiling. It would seem that your listeners' ears will be as close as four to five feet from the surrounds, and, in my opinion, that is too close for direct radiating speakers, unless you turn the level way down and you don't mind "hot spots." Dipoles in the configuration I've described would create a uniform diffuse soundfield on the sides. Even the second row would be in a null created by the back waves of the front surrounds being out of phase with the front array of the rear surrounds.

I would probably do two pair of Triad InWall Silver Surrounds, and order them through your dealer custom paint matched to your wall or ceiling color. If you can't see the surround speakers, you will get less auditory cues as to their position. Check this picture... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...795&p=55820369

Thanks for buying Triad fronts and subs. The Platinum PowerSub is a bad mamma-jamma, isn't it??

(Note: Triad is not responsible for structural damage to your home due to excessive bass output...) :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul. Yes my ht rocks. I have so many complements especially from bass. I'm using platinum for 55Hz and below and silver for 55-80Hz.

What do you suggest for rear surrounds? I would like to use the rear pair for 5.1 channel music and 7.1 channel movie. I was wondering using the 80hz at low end surrounds will be good for music?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.