AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Got a new SVS sub and love it, however the doors in my basement and nearby and buzzing big time. I thought about doing weather stripping so the door seals a little better. Are there any other ways of fixing the doors so they are rattle proof? Anything cosmetic I could put over the knobs to keep them from buzzing?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Weather stripping is going to be your cheapest solution. Installing an exterior door (stronger / less flexing) will also help. Better door knobs should not rattle. Tying some form of fabric (say 2' x 1' of cotton cloth) tightly around the knob near to where it mounts to the door should reduce the rattling and still allow you to use the door knob. When people design custom theaters they need to carefully pick out a door / handle combo (to reduce the exact problems you are encountering). I've seen some people install magnetically sealed doors!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I put felt washers (made from felt protective furniture pads) on my 65 year old door knobs.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you put P-type weatherstripping on the jamb, it will actually push the door against the latch, and hopefully lock the entire door and locking mechanism in place with a bit of torque. Should get rid of the rattle, and cause less sound leagage, too! Just make sure you get thick enough to have the effect, but not thick so that you can't close the door.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great suggestions, thank you all. What I ended up doing is I put a rubberized weather stripping on the doors in the offending areas. The doors are a bit hard to shut but not a single thing in my theater is rattling. I love hearing that sub kick without the rattle. Thank you all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.