AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
It doesn't matter. I have to get it. I have an 8-year-old.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Technically speaking, the video quality seemed quite good to me on my system. The film used for the transfer appeared to be in very good shape. The surround sound seemed less than what I had imagined it would be. Mostly music and crowd noises in the surrounds with only a few other uses. Although encoded with Surround EX, it didn't add very much to the soundtrack overall I thought.

I hadn't seen the movie in theaters and I haven't read the books but I liked the movie very much especially with the knowledge that more are to follow.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I watched it all last night and I was only going to view some bits and pieces. I thought the transfer was GREAT. The picture was very colorful and crisp. The sound was even better especially John William's score. I loved it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Here in Canada it is "Letterboxed" widescreen.

Anyone saw an anamorphic version?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Video and audio were all right. I had a heckuva hard time understanding those young English actors though, who were brilliant nevertheless. I guess its my blasted ears. John Williams score was its usual stellar presentation (hmmmm, havent I heard some of those notes before, though?)

:( Disc 2 was a crock of doodoo and a complete waste. They could have done so much more with it.

Overall, it is simply a charming movie. It is fantasy and fun and an escape from reality in the utmost regard. Howevuh, disc 2 is presently a frisbee, and not even a good one at that.

:D

·
Registered
474 Posts
I loved this film at the movies and preordered the DVD. Received several days ago and have already watched it twice - anamorpic w/s. Video is very good perhaps a 3 out of 4 due to some EE and the colors don't have quite the punch (with a calibrated HT) that I remember them having in the theater, The Sound is a 4+ though with the dialog nice and up front and the surrounds and LFE used aggressively and appropriately.

Disc 2 is a complete waste of time, in fact save yourself the trouble and ad it to the coaster collection in your kitchen...

The movie itself, well, I love it! The ending seems rushed but it is a long movie...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Here in Canada it is "Letterboxed" widescreen. Anyone saw an anamorphic version?
The Canadian version titled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is indeed an "Anamorphic" enhanced for 16x9 DVD.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Quote:
"We would rather design systems that focused on quality and simplicity rather than on mediocrity and complexity." - Mark Levinson in Stereophile. May 2002; Vol. 25, No. 5.
Mark certainly acheived that in his simpleton wife, Kim Catrall

·
Registered
474 Posts
thebland:

That is, without a doubt, one of the funniest things I have read here in long, long time.... Thanks for the laugh! :)

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
I like the movie! However, I thought the video quality was very good, but not great. I also thought the score was very nice but I don't agree that the surrounds were used very aggressively at all. Sound was great though.

What's up with that second disc? A waste. I played with it for 30 minutes and still couldn't find the deleted scenes. Where are they? I don't want to find the bloody wand or a key or any other kind of magic garbage. I just wanted to find some deleted scenes and I was hoping the menu would say something like, oh, maybe "deleted scenes". Jeez.

Cary

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
And another thing while I'm at it. The way the second disk is designed you'd think little Johnny was running the remote and having fun in the Home Theater. It's DADDY'S remote....

I feel better now. :)

Cary

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was actually VERY impressed with the amount of effort put into the second disc. They could have just put the stuff there with a menu... click and go... just like everything else,..... but I really admire the thought put into this. That goes for Memento too..... kudos to those who made it more interesting.

Sure, there could have been more there.... but I don't think we can complain too much.... seeing as how everyone involved was in the middle of making the sequel.

Luckily.... (according to this LA Times article ), it seems like there just might be another edition of this brilliant film & DVD in our future :) Yes!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
I see your point and it *is* cute. However, at the time I had guests over and we wanted to check out the deleted scenes after viewing the movie. We were all very frustrated by not being able to find them.

Cary

·
Registered
240 Posts
Kudos to those who made it more frustrating?

w00t!

·
Registered
275 Posts
To me the movie is great, I usually don't care for extras so I have not seen the 2nd disc and problably won't.

But to me the sound was very poor, my bass shaker was asleep the whole movie, anybody else experienced this?

Carlos

·
Registered
238 Posts
What kind,of bass shaker do you have ,cause i gotta tell ya my Buttkicker shook violently at just the right moments!! Very nice!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Exactly what I was thinkin! My damn floor rumbles when Fluffy growls :) :)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I rented and viewed Disk 1 last night. I was entertained by the movie, but not to the point where I was tempted to explore Disk 2.

It's fundamentally a film for children. I own a few such films (Shrek, Ants, and the Toy Story films), but this one was not above the line where I'd buy. I'll probably wait for the DVDs and rent them.

Gary

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.