AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the news release a couple weeks ago about AT&T broadcasting CBS, FOX, HBO and Showtime in HD starting sometime this Summer (in the Chicago and surrounding areas).

I have not heard much since, nor have I been able to find out any other information from my local AT&T office regarding when this Summer...plans for other/more channels, will my STB work (or will I need to rent theirs for 10.95/mo)??

Does anyone have any other details about this?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The best thing is probably to call the cable coordinator in your city and have them get in touch with AT&T. They tend to be able to contact people who actually know something.

I have been under the impression that AT&T was not doing much in HDTV until the sale to Comcast is finalized. Comcast already has done a lot of HDTV (which AT&T has not!) and will probably move forward with it faster than AT&T would have.

·
Registered
936 Posts
FWIW, many months ago I read that ATT was starting to "study" HD carriage, and within 3 - 6 months would start some "pilot" activity. A few months later the Comcast bid showed up. My guess is that the Comcast bid completely halted the HD activity. Please note that the operative word is guess, but after going thru several of these situations, nothing much happens when you are on the for sale block.

Mike

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you both, also FWIW, here is the link where I read that press release...for some reason May 9 sticks in my head, but I could be wrong.

http://www.hdtvbuyer.com/Htm/homeset.htm

Tom

If it was early May, that had to be after the Comcast deal was announced...but who knows...

I just checked that link and found that May 6, 2002 was the date of that press release.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CBS has been available on AT&T Cable for over 1-1/2 years in the Chicago area. About this time last year, I was having trouble with CBS-DT coming through cable. 4 or 5 times AT&T technicians and managers came out to test and look at my problem. In talking to them they had definite plans to offer HDTV on their system and were doing a lot of work in preparation. So I think the press release is valid.

But it also does appear that they are going to use a different modulation scheme from the broadcast modulation that will require a digital cable box. For me CBS-DT is broadcast at channel 61 as 8-VSB (the same modulation type as over the air) so I can just use my set-top decoder and get the channel.

This really is good news for the promotion of HDTV. I worked at a Circuit City in the evenings over the Christmas holiday hoping to sell some HDTVs. When I explained to people that in addition to the HDTV-ready set they needed our $700 decoder connected to an antenna or get our $500 HDTV satellite system, they frowned and asked about cable availablity with hopefullness. I think some consumer still can't get past equating antennae with snowiness and satellites as uncomfortably complex. Yet they are very comfortable with cable with its no upfront cost and technicians on call.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heya Sigma...I read somewhere in another post about CBS broadcasting in HD on AT&T cable out here..I think it was the CBS guru, name escapes me at the moment...anyway, I too got CBS on channel 61 when I ran my AT&T coax thru my HD receiver.

I was more interested in finding out if AT&T was planning on more channels than the 4 they mentioned anytime in the near future (perhaps a useless questions as they don't even have the 4 up and running yet)...and I was also at the time trying to find out if the box they were offering would work with my OTA signal (it won't).

I'm close to just returning the Sony SAT HD100 I have and waiting for AT&T to come out with their HD channels this summer.

NBC and FOX, as well as HBO and Showtime are the primary channels my wife and I watch...to spend $300 to $500 on an STB for some ABC HD or CBS HD - for me- just might not be worth it...especially, as I was hoping to find out from my original post, if AT&T has plans for adding more stations (CBS or ABC, specifically, in the forseeable future).

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about HDTV via AT&T in other parts of the country (Seattle??)?. Is Comcast buying the whole AT&T cable network?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Hacky,

Yes, Comcast is buying the entire AT&T cable network. Actually, AT&T is larger than Comcast, so it is in some ways more like a merger, but Comcast is the acquirer.

AT&T has so badly mismanaged its system that they have lost money and were forced to sell. Comcast has done much better.

Comcast says they will upgrade to HDTV, but we don't know the time frames. Communities that already have some sort of "digital cable" will probably be the first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
AT&T mismanages anything they get their hands on. I have just had 9 weeks of hell using their cable internet service, until the attorney general's office stepped in. 9 weeks of no service, 2 wasted repair visits to my house (it was quite clear that after 2 years of service, the problem was not likely to be in my office), 1 missed third visit even though it would have been another waste of time (of course no notice to me that they would not show up), "senior managers" calling my home to express their sympathy but not leaving a return phone number, refusal to give me more than $10 credit (unless I let them know every single day that my serivce was down), at least 10 - 15 phone calls (with long waits) and chat sessions that fell on deaf ears, a bill where they accidently charged me a rental fee for a modem when I own one, finally got two managers to leave me a number and they never picked up their phone or returned my messages, and on and on for 9 weeks.

That company does not deserve to stay in business as I know I am not alone. I highly recommend your states attorney general's web page for problems such as this. they got these idiots to fix the problem (somewhere out on a telephone pole) and refund my money within days. Bring on Comcast, they cannot possibly be any worse than AT&T. Hallelulah!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I talked to an AT&T representative this morning, and she informed me that I would be receiving a mailing about HDTV in early June. She indicated that they are ready to roll out the HDTV add-on boxes and it would be handled over a period of time based on the locations.

Looks like the service is almost here, though she wouldn't give me any information on the time frame of the programming that would be provided.

I'll just hold my breath until more news comes down the line.

Mike K.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
You need to remember that AT&T carrying WBBM-DT (CBS) in some parts of Chicago was only because the WBBM-DT channel 3 signal leaked into their crummy cable plant. This cause many thousands of folks in the downtown Chicago area to loose their cable reception so WBBM-DT turned off their transmitter for almost 2 years. I think AT&T did this as a payback to WBBM for turning off their transmitter, but it didn't help the many folks that couldn't get WBBM via cable do to an outdated AT&T cable plant in their areas.

Even now WBBM-DT is on the air with only 2/3 power since AT&T still has plant upgrades to make before they can turn the transmitter up to 100%. So please don't praise AT&T, it's because of them that many folks can still not receive WBBM-DT over the air!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heya Mike...

When I spoke to AT&T earlier this week, she told me the same about receiving a mailing with more details...she also mentioned that you will get notification through your digital cable box messaging...so keep your eyes peeled for one or the other.

Please post when you receive something, and I'll do the same...I'm not too far from you down here in Schaumburg.

She also mentioned the box would be a HDD 220 (or was it 200??), a General Instruments box that is only good for cable HD at the moment (no OTA).

Tom...holding my breath AND crossing my fingers...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.