AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for my cable provider (Comcast) to provide HD signals, but can't seem to find out any information on how many markets they are currently in and when they plan on delivering HD to my market (Birgmingham-Tuscaloosa, Alabama).

Does anyone on this board have any info on their geographic coverage for HD and expected dates of delivery of HD to other markets? Also, if any of you are viewing HD via Comcast, what STB are you using and how does the signal compare to that of OTA and satellite?

TIA

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by auburn97
Does anyone on this board have any info on their geographic coverage for HD and expected dates of delivery of HD to other markets? Also, if any of you are viewing HD via Comcast, what STB are you using and how does the signal compare to that of OTA and satellite?

TIA
From the Comcast website at http://www.cmcsk.com/pressroom/cable_hdtv.cfm

here is the current availability by area:

Availability: HDTV service currently is available to more than 11 million homes in the following Comcast service areas: Danbury, Conn.; central and northern New Jersey; Philadelphia, Pa.; Reading, Pa.; Boston, Mass.; Washington, D.C./Metro Virginia; Atlanta, Ga.; southeast Michigan, including the Detroit and Flint areas; Sarasota, Fla.; Baltimore, Md.; Indianapolis, Ind.; Nashville, Tenn.; central Pennsylvania, including the Carlisle, Harrisburg, Hershey, Lancaster and Lebanon areas; and Knoxville, Tenn.

In Atlanta, Comcast just started HD service about a month ago and offers CBS, NBC, Fox digital (not HD), Showtime and HBO HD East and West channels. Here, the cost is $5 per month for the Motorola 5100 box in addition to regular digital cable charges.

For me, the quality of the HD is comparable to OTA, though most say that OTA is better to some degree. The convenience and lack of weather related signal loss issues was the selling point for me to move from OTA to Comcast, plus I now have HBO HD which I could obviously not get via OTA.

YMMV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.