AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From many topics on this subject in the past, I know a couple things: (1) the JVC D-VHS player is coming this Summer, (2) It will have component outputs for atleast the first couple years of production, and (3) There will be immediate High Definition movies being released for it because of support from some big name movie companies. That said, any news on when the actual release is, or some details as to which movies will be coming out for it first? I CANNOT wait for this product, high definition movies for my HDTV! WOW!!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
With all the copy protection issues in the air, I don't think anyone will know what the JVC DVHS unit will be capable of (IEEE1394 or not, DVI, etc.) until it shows up.

Consider the current state of all the HDTV product introductions in the last few years: most, if not all, are severely delayed. If the JVC is any different, I will be very surprised.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
164 Posts
And if it prevents me from copying a HDTV signal when I want to, I wont buy it. Ill remove my STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC on my signoff when I can have one without restrictions. All I want is the same options that I can get today with a $89.00 VHS Player Recorder, except with High Definition capability. And no one else should buy either.
------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hey dpak, don't you go 'roun buying none of that thar JVC stuff -- or I'l sick BOB on ya. (I'll tell him it's made in Korea or sump'n.)

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Deepak,

Have you heard about the AccessDTV HDTV recorder? I just got one, $500. It works in the PC, just like a TIVO supposedly. I'll be using a 45gig hard drive, for about five hours of recording time. I'll be installing it in about a week, can't wait...Hope it doesn't crash more often than once a week... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Presently it can record only OTA, but it's better than nothing. Not being able to record HDTV is lame, it would be such a great way to show off the best examples to friends.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
the problem with Access is that you really can't archive it to well. I waould like a simple archive solution like tape where I can easilly go back and play it without a lot of hassle. A D-VHS box will do that for me. A W-VHS box will do the same, but no dolby digital.

Also I think this belongs in the other forum under HDTV recording, but it is a piece of hardware so I guess it kind of fals in the middle of the road.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the JVC D-VHS unit has HD movies released for it like the press releases indicate, I'm definitely buying one the moment it comes out. I didn't buy an HDTV to be watching Standard Defintion DVDs. The moment any media is available in HD u can be sure I'll have the player. I personally don't even care about the recording aspect, I just want a collection of HD movies. So yes, I'm buying it.

[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 04-14-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap:

A W-VHS box will do the same, but no dolby digital.
If I could afford one, I might go the W-VHS route regardless. I find that ProLogic for many movies will suffice given crystal video. Those for which DD is a neccessity I could record on an HTPC via the S/PDIF connector and synchronize on playback. In this, the day of the early adopter, the home theater fortitude of a wo/man is judge by the number of switches required to obtain perfection and the number of remotes on one's desk. I have sixteen - and use them all! He's mad I tell you. Simply mad! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sure hope JVC can make some improvements to the remote on the vcr you guys are talking about versus the remote on the jvc / dishnetwork DVHS combo. UHF supposed to go through walls and neither myself or my neighbor can get them to work reliably from 10' away clear line of sight. We even sent the remotes in and had them replaced. They still suck. Plus it was uhf ONLY so you couldn't put a ir repeater in front of it to control it from say your hdtv or something.

Doug

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The JVC Dish DVHS was a Dish box with the DVHS added. The JVC DVHS units will be a much different story.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.