AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I live in the Indianapolis area and am in the market for a new sub. I was interested in hosting a review party for 20 or so people at the end of April or early May. I was wanting to use this opportunity to review several different subs. I have on my shortlist:

SVS PB-2000 or SB2000

PSA XV15 or XS 15

Hsu VTF-15H

or other similar offering

My current system is Paradigm Monitor 9 V6 fronts, CC290 center channel, Paradigm PV150 inwalls for surrounds and rears, and a JBL ES250PBK subwoofer. My receiver is an Anthem MRX-500, blu-ray player is Oppo BDP-103. My room is somewhat unusual in shape - 21'x14' with a vaulted ceiling up to 18' high over 1/2 with an 8' ceiling over the otehr 1/2. It is also open to a loft.

I have a pretty good relationship with my local Paradigm dealer and hope to be able to get some Studio 60 or 100 speakers with ADP surrounds to listen to as well.

I was wondering if there are any people who would either:

1) Like to come to listen to the review who is in the market for similar type equipment

2) Would just like to come to listen but isn't in the market

or 3) Would like to take part in the review and would have a sub in this price range that they would like to donate to the challenge for the afternoon.

I am hopeful that if we get enough interest I may be able to get some manufacturer catalogs, promotional items, and maybe they might even want to loan an outlet sub for the demo. But I know I can't count on that so I am throwing it out there for potential demo options from AVS members.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If we can get enough interest - I will continue to pursue it. Currently I am looking at either the last two Saturdays in April or the first Saturday in May. Feel free to PM me if interested. We can discuss the review material later. Hopefully this is an opportunity to meet some new friends in the Indy area who love to listen to good music and watch movies on equipment that sounds better than the movies!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I live about 4 to 4.5 hours away, so it would be a little bit of a trek. I could bring an SB-1000 if I did. But don't count on me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know of anyone else around that might be interested in something like this? I've never tried it - I think it would be fun and give people a chance to listen to some really good equipment. Thanks for your reply? I am going to put a notice up at Ovation in Indianapolis and we'll see where it takes us.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinely  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24496153

Do you know of anyone else around that might be interested in something like this? I've never tried it - I think it would be fun and give people a chance to listen to some really good equipment. Thanks for your reply? I am going to put a notice up at Ovation in Indianapolis and we'll see where it takes us.

I'm all the way up in Grand Rapids, so not off hand.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
It would be interesting. I might have some interest in attending that sort of GTG, and I live a bit over 3 hrs away. I don't want to commit to it at the moment, but I definitely don't rule it out either, if invited. I could bring an Outlaw LFM-1 EX or a Hsu ULS-15, or maybe a Hsu VTF3 mk3 if there was a request for it, or even a ED A3-300 if there was a (unlikely) request for it. One thing I would recommend is that there be some qualitative comparisons instead of just quantitative comparisons (ie loudness). None of these subs has any major output advantage over each other, so I think it would be more interesting to explore what kind of sound character they would have as opposed to just headroom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ShadyJ - I will keep you posted on this. One thing that may perk your interest is what Tom Vodhanel posted in the Official Power Sound thread on the Blu-Ray forum. I also understand your comments regarding qualittative criteria as well. I currently listen to more music than movies though eachis very important. It is critical to me how "musical" the sub sounds and integrates with the music. How realistic the instruments sound and not just headroom and whether you can feel it in your chest. In movies, there is also a sense of tension and excitement that a sub can bring to the movie that is hard to quantify as well. I am open to use any criteria that you have seen used well.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24496779

It would be interesting. I might have some interest in attending that sort of GTG, and I live a bit over 3 hrs away. I don't want to commit to it at the moment, but I definitely don't rule it out either, if invited. I could bring an Outlaw LFM-1 EX or a Hsu ULS-15, or maybe a Hsu VTF3 mk3 if there was a request for it, or even a ED A3-300 if there was a (unlikely) request for it. One thing I would recommend is that there be some qualitative comparisons instead of just quantitative comparisons (ie loudness). None of these subs has any major output advantage over each other, so I think it would be more interesting to explore what kind of sound character they would have as opposed to just headroom.

If you are coming and I am coming, we'll have to do the HB-1 MK2 vs CBM-170 SE nearfield usage show down. Would be easy to haul our speakers, right?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24544334

Hey Cel, I am from Fort Wayne, IN which is about halfway between Indy and Grand Rapids.

Have you ever thought about hosting? Your location would be a great central spot for Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati, and Columbus, all within a few hour drive. Might could get a big turnout

Plus, you and shadyj could finally have the battle of the XV15 vs the VTF-3

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
We've done the I-75 down to Fla several times...Fort Wayne is certainly doable. Last time through we stayed over night in Cincinnati and drove home in ~ 9hrs...if the all the stars align...I'd could make the drive down if you guys come to any decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24544334

Hey Cel, I am from Fort Wayne, IN which is about halfway between Indy and Grand Rapids.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24544386

Have you ever thought about hosting? Your location would be a great central spot for Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati, and Columbus, all within a few hour drive. Might could get a big turnout

Plus, you and shadyj could finally have the battle of the XV15 vs the VTF-3

No never thought about it actually. Although it is a crossroads location...

I would be to embarassed to have a gtg at my ol heap.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24544555

No never thought about it actually. Although it is a crossroads location...

I would be to embarassed to have a gtg at my ol heap.

I coudn't have one at my house. Not big enough and no dedicated HT room. So I understand.

Is there a place we could rent? I'd chip in

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24544624

I coudn't have one at my house. Not big enough and no dedicated HT room. So I understand.

Is there a place we could rent? I'd chip in

If we end up buying a new house in the near future and I get my dedicated theatre, then I would be game. I am with you tho my house is not big enough to host a gtg. It is only a older 2100sq ft ranch that has a bunch of smaller rooms. So while I could easily have 14-16 people we all would be spread around different rooms and not be able to mix it up as a group.

I will check around for places to rent.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523027/any-interest-in-indianapolis-area-gtg-for-an-under-1000-sub-shootout#post_24544290

If you are coming and I am coming, we'll have to do the HB-1 MK2 vs CBM-170 SE nearfield usage show down. Would be easy to haul our speakers, right?

It would be fun, but it doesn't look like I will be able to attend this one. One of these days I will make it to one of these GTGs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts