AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1805 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
ah man..your theater looks great..dont be taken back to posting pics..there are ALOT of people on here that would be inspired with what you have done with that room..there are tons of budget theaters on here, mine included..your room looks really good and I bet your family really enjoy it..and once you get those DIY speakers going, it will be even better....great job man.
Thanks guys, I need to check my calendar to see when I might be free to host something. The end of this year is getting busy fast.

I did listen before acoustic panels went up but I also had a high backed loveseat in there before and I always thought that I couldn't hear my surround speakers well at all. I noticed more of a change in sound going to the new seats rather than the acoustic panels. I did buy a UHM-1 mic and downloaded REW to try it out. I hung all the panels (except the ceiling) on french cleats so that I could take them down easily and swap them around if I wanted too. So it would be trivial to do a with/without test with REW............just haven't gotten around to it. My wife and I spend too much time watching movies for me to instead take a couple hours fiddling around :)

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Nice looking theater! Love how it's 1.0....like you know the upgrades are coming LOL! Your room and setup is VERY similar to Chad's. I've been telling Chad for a long time that he needs to work on getting some absorption panels in his room. Would be cool to see your theater sometime. Did you do any listening before the acoustic panels were up to see how much they helped?
hey i been wanting to do some acoustic panels, but a certain someone too busy with soccer and making desks..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
506 Posts
BenQ 2050 on a 92" Silver Ticket Screen

5.2 system driven by a Denon S510BT consisting of a Pioneer Andrew Jones LCR SP-FS52 x2, SP-C22, Fluance AVBP2 surrounds and Dayton SUB-1000 subs.

I converted a spare bedroom. Here is an album of the finished theater. https://imgur.com/a/f86PU I put together a build album too I could share if anyone is interested. I was a little too intimidated to start my own build thread here on AVS.

Velvet arrives Saturday, Ill share as I make progress.
Stellar job. You should be proud. I really like the converted closet area.

What are the dimension of the room?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Off the top of my head I think the room is 11ft wide, 12-13ft deep. How I did the closet is my favorite part of the room.
my room is a smidgent bigger then yours...it was pretty hard making everything work in a small space huh?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't mind it for just me and the wife but I do wish I could fit a 4th seat in for friends, either on the side or in two rows.

Made some progress on the blackout wall while waiting for the Florida-Georgia game. I'm very excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys! Been working non-stop so just lurking.
Loving all the pics lately. Great inspiration!
Anyway, I have another question per usual.
What is the best way to run 4 identical powered home theater subwoofers?
They are Proficient Audio S12's with plate amps.
I've attached pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I've attached pics!
if its plate amps..shouldnt they just plug right into the back of your receiver with RCA plugs and Y-splitters?

Reactions: filtor1

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I turned off the projector... game is not worth the bulb hours... Tough year to be a Gator.
thats how I felt about my Dolphins on Thursday night.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I don't mind it for just me and the wife but I do wish I could fit a 4th seat in for friends, either on the side or in two rows.

Made some progress on the blackout wall while waiting for the Florida-Georgia game. I'm very excited.
looks good man..are you installing those on the ceiling?

·
Registered
19 Posts
looks good man..are you installing those on the ceiling?
That's the plan. Finished the wall yesterday. Friction fitting worked well for everything except the right side panel. Tape worked well but I already see one panel it coming up. I'm thinking I might need to go back and staple the velvet to the rigid foam. luckily the panels all just pop out with a little bit of force.

I ran out of Syfabric Velvet before I could do the ceiling. I have extra magnets from the horizontal masking bars so I think I will try using those to attach the ceiling panels...just glue some magnets in the ceiling, smaller holes to patch down the line.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've attached pics!
Can you give us a layout of your room? If your room is square/rectangular, then here is best layout practices. You may require some delay/phase adjustment on the rears if they will be closer to your seating position than the fronts.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
That's the plan. Finished the wall yesterday. Friction fitting worked well for everything except the right side panel. Tape worked well but I already see one panel it coming up. I'm thinking I might need to go back and staple the velvet to the rigid foam. luckily the panels all just pop out with a little bit of force.

I ran out of Syfabric Velvet before I could do the ceiling. I have extra magnets from the horizontal masking bars so I think I will try using those to attach the ceiling panels...just glue some magnets in the ceiling, smaller holes to patch down the line.
cool..make sure you let us know how they worked out..im interested to see what kind of difference you notice.

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Hey @biliam1982! Thanks for the response.

1. I like a good deal/bang for buck. I'm ok If I have to buy things piece by piece. I generally lean towards "enthusiast grade" gear.

2. I'm at about 50/50 music and movies, so tight deep bass is ideal. Even on movie night we rarely ever get to "reference" volume, but I'd like to know I can :)
I would definitely like to hit clear loud ~20hz. Anything lower then that would be extra.
I have a 1 1/2 year old son, so my sub needs to be down-firing and will be placed in the front left or right corner of the room.

3. I've owned both and prefer the sound of sealed. Just seemed more versatile.

4. Roughly 2600 cubic feet with openings to both a kitchen and a staircase. Not the best room in the world.

5. I plan on starting of with one for now, but will eventually add a 2nd sub. I want a solid living room/HT hybrid. We have a 65 inch 4k tv for daytime and a motorized 125 inch elite screen projector screen for movies.

Sorry if this was too long. Looking forward to your suggestions!
Mike, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. As I said before, others have given some good advice. But I'll add my own piece of mind for you to consider.

First, I didn't see you mention what the location you plan to put the sub's in or the size/restriction of that area.

Second, have you heard any newer designed ported subs? Reason I ask is many cannot tell the difference anymore in a blind test. I used to run ported and I heard the "bominess" but they've gotten much better at dealing with port velocities and accommodating that with the correct size.

With going sealed, you leave a lot on the table in terms of dB output right in the frequency range you want to hit. They provide the most SPL per $. And that's a modest size room to pressurize not to mention the openings to the rest of the house that the sub technically "sees". So you need to add those areas into the calculation.

What I recommend is similar to what I did/will do. Go with two ported subs. I found a deal on 2 of the nicer SI HST drivers in a sealed box but still want to go ported for more SPL. Check the Marty Sub thread, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html. There's multiple different sizes to fit your space you wanna put them in and all are tuned to at least 23Hz.

And I'm sure you can ask the question on how to turn them into down firing subs. May just need higher feet stands or if putting them on the front wall, just face them the other direction. You just need to ask. If it's been thought of, someone has done it before here on AVS.

Then, later on, if you still feel lacking, add some motion actuators/transducers. I did that with the Crowsons and my tactile response increase was insane! Definitely adds a whole new experience and can hit the single digits Hz. That's also what I think @chadsmith013 should do, but he doesn't wanna listen and just have a bazillion subs in his room that tears the flesh off his skin.

You didn't seem to mention a price range for your budget. If like me, and especially if doing one at a time, go with the best bang for the buck. SI is one of the best for that. and their drivers work well in ported or sealed applications.

But remember, it's a sum of the system, not just one component. So if you go with say the SI HST18mkii's, consider a beefier amp that can push them to the max. that's not the iNuke. You need a Speaker Power amp or something which costs a lot more. But long term it's worth the investment if you'll never add more than 2 subs due to WAF.

But if you go with something like the new SI HT18, the iNuke is a good match. And I second going with a 6000. For the incremental cost difference, it's worth it. Basically for a little more, you get 2x 3000's in bridge mode. And also just go ahead and get the DSP model. That's a no brainer for possibly future tweaking.

I saw your post about the Proficient subs. Are you keeping those? What about speakers? Have you decided on what to do there?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
How do he HTM and Fusions compare to commercial speakers? I have Andrew Jones pioneer towers and center. I understand they are a jump but given I don't have really any hours of critically listening to different speakers I don't have a frame a reference as to what "better" translates to.

I have a smaller converted bedroom HT but I'd be willing to host a GTG. I have 3 reclining seats but could fit probably up to 6 people.
Dude, your room looks nice! I've always wanted a dedicated room. Have to do with a living room setup for now.

As others have mentioned, we feel the DIYSG options are a much better bang for the buck. Just you need to build (more assemble) them yourself. Not too hard really and you have a lot of people up there in that area who've done it before to help like Matt and Chad. Yes, I just voluntold you guys. lol

I'd say go with the HTM10's for you LCR. You don't need the 12's in that size room and the 8's are not even out yet. In that size room, you could probably get away with the 3 for LCR, 2 surrounds and 2 ATMOS like Chad did. But some food for thought, do the surrounds/ATMOS first. The sale on the Concentric8's is damn good. So get them before they're gone.

Then work on the LCR and subs. And speaking of the subs, my advice to you is opposite of what I just told Mike. You have a smaller sealed room like Chad. So sealed subs would work really well in there. But you could also do ported too if you wanted. I'd seek the professional help of others on the forums in a dedicated thread before pulling the trigger on that.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Hi, I finished installing my version of a screen masking system. I came up with the idea myself, but others have probably done this too in the past. Not sure. I didn't like the overpriced screen masking systems that the screen manufacturers were offering. My idea was a lot cheaper to do and I think it has a much classier look. Here is the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iaaork5unfdq32x/IMG_0791.MOV?dl=0
That's pretty sweet! Definitely a DIY budget option that looks good too!

But, in a dedicated room, those light colors are killing your contrast. Did you know that?

To each his own though. Maybe it doesn't bother you and you'd rather a nicer finish. I just have to mention this in case you weren't aware.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Dude, your room looks nice! I've always wanted a dedicated room. Have to do with a living room setup for now.

As others have mentioned, we feel the DIYSG options are a much better bang for the buck. Just you need to build (more assemble) them yourself. Not too hard really and you have a lot of people up there in that area who've done it before to help like Matt and Chad. Yes, I just voluntold you guys. lol

I'd say go with the HTM10's for you LCR. You don't need the 12's in that size room and the 8's are not even out yet. In that size room, you could probably get away with the 3 for LCR, 2 surrounds and 2 ATMOS like Chad did. But some food for thought, do the surrounds/ATMOS first. The sale on the Concentric8's is damn good. So get them before they're gone.

Then work on the LCR and subs. And speaking of the subs, my advice to you is opposite of what I just told Mike. You have a smaller sealed room like Chad. So sealed subs would work really well in there. But you could also do ported too if you wanted. I'd seek the professional help of others on the forums in a dedicated thread before pulling the trigger on that.
I vote for the Fusion 10's :D

1061 - 1080 of 1805 Posts