AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1805 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
All I could offer amp wise is a Crown XLS1000. Puts out 200W at 8ohm stereo. William has some bigger crown amps, so he may be willing to pull one of those out. Anyone have anything to boost the output signal though...don't think a laptop will drive to full rated output?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
if @HighEndWire comes..he has a house full of gear he could bring :)

and @easycruise I totally understand..i wouldnt want to go thru all that either.

Reactions: filtor1

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
All I could offer amp wise is a Crown XLS1000. Puts out 200W at 8ohm stereo. William has some bigger crown amps, so he may be willing to pull one of those out. Anyone have anything to boost the output signal though...don't think a laptop will drive to full rated output?
I have 6x Crown XLS1500's. They can do 300W @ 8ohm. But do we really need that much power?

I also can bring my Oppo 103 or 203 for playback.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Matt, completely forgot that the 1500 and up have a different architecture. Good call. I'll plan on bringing one, or two if needed.
I plan to upgrade mine when funds permit or a good sale pops up, but I don't feel like i'm missing anything with the XLS1000.

Specs on the XLS says: Sensitivity 1.4Vrms (for full rated power at 4 ohms). Not sure what a laptop puts out?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I plan to upgrade mine when funds permit or a good sale pops up, but I don't feel like i'm missing anything with the XLS1000.

Specs on the XLS says: Sensitivity 1.4Vrms (for full rated power at 4 ohms). Not sure what a laptop puts out?
Yea, I only picked up mine cuz they were on closeout as the 02 series was coming out. Don't think they'll be updating them again like that for a while.

Unless you buy used or find a going out of business sale, don't bother.

I checked and I've seen posted that the Oppo has 2.1Vrms on the analog outputs. That should be plenty.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not sure I can make it yet. Sounds interesting to catch up with you guys. The 3 seat with bar matches what I think I would do in a dedicated room, so that is an added incentive. Scheduling it too shakey at the moment to RSVP. cSorry.

I don't have any items to contribute to the demo at this point.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Not sure I can make it yet. Sounds interesting to catch up with you guys. The 3 seat with bar matches what I think I would do in a dedicated room, so that is an added incentive. Scheduling it too shakey at the moment to RSVP. cSorry.

I don't have any items to contribute to the demo at this point.
not a problem man..just keep us updated if you are able to attend..would love to have you join in....and no worries on bringing anything..i think we got it covered..i basically just went home and said look woman..im going to this GTG on Dec 9th and thats how its going to be!!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
The 3 seat with bar matches what I think I would do in a dedicated room, so that is an added incentive. .
It's actually a round bar table with 2 bar stools that are located in between a little kitchenette and the A/V rack. (see picture). I wanted to have a kitchenette w/ microwave and a refrigerator and sink, so that I didn't have to go upstairs for anything, such as beer or popcorn or snacks.

I watch a lot of football and other sports, so I also have a large cocktail table in front of the 3 main seats, to put all the snacks and dip, etc. I never liked the conventional theater seating layout because it seems so impersonal when watching football with friends, some who would be sitting in the row in back of you.

I am still looking to get a U-shaped sectional couch (w/ that cocktail table in the center) which would suit my needs much more. IMO, this would be the optimum layout. This seating I have now was the floor model at a local store, so it was really inexpensive, and probably temporary.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
It's actually a round bar table with 2 bar stools that are located in between a little kitchenette and the A/V rack. (see picture). I wanted to have a kitchenette w/ microwave and a refrigerator and sink, so that I didn't have to go upstairs for anything, such as beer or popcorn or snacks.

I watch a lot of football and other sports, so I also have a large cocktail table in front of the 3 main seats, to put all the snacks and dip, etc. I never liked the conventional theater seating layout because it seems so impersonal when watching football with friends, some who would be sitting in the row in back of you.

I am still looking to get a U-shaped sectional couch (w/ that cocktail table in the center) which would suit my needs much more. IMO, this would be the optimum layout. This seating I have now was the floor model at a local store, so it was really inexpensive, and probably temporary.
your set up is gorgeous man..I love it..some of these theaters I would be scared to eat food in..i like how yours is a room you would feel good about hanging out in...I also watch ALOT of football..what teams do you claim as yours?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I would be interested in the Dec 9th GTG. I have a Sony STR-DN840 that just lost it's HDMI out port so I would be able to bring that for amp purposes.
awesome..we will pencil you in..

i imagine once we get a little closer and get a solid head count..we can talk about food...:D

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I also finished the velvet upgrade to my home theater. It is amazing. I'm floored by how much more engrossed I am in movies. No more black bars distracting me.

https://imgur.com/a/WDLa0
when you say black bars distracting you..wasnt your back wall black anyways? is it the black bars of the screen borders that were distracting????

looked at the pics..looks like you did a pretty good job...im sure movies look good..but how does the wall look for every day living? my front wall is brown..was curious how much an upgrade this would be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
when you say black bars distracting you..wasnt your back wall black anyways? is it the black bars of the screen borders that were distracting????

looked at the pics..looks like you did a pretty good job...im sure movies look good..but how does the wall look for every day living? my front wall is brown..was curious how much an upgrade this would be.
When I say black bars, I meant the black bars on the 16:9 screen from the projector playing a movie. It looked more grey than black to me. And even with the paint, I saw light reflections on the ceiling and the grey walls. WAF was off the charts, she was as happy as me with the final results which was a nice bonus.

In terms of every day living, the whole wall black is a no go. While a black hole looks awesome in a dedicated room, I couldn't see it in my living room. That being said, making black masking bars for your screen would be a worthwhile upgrade. They're pretty easy and cheap to make ($15 for foam, $10 for tape and spray glue, $ 24 for 3 yards of velvet, $5 for velco).

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I say black bars, I meant the black bars on the 16:9 screen from the projector playing a movie. It looked more grey than black to me. And even with the paint, I saw light reflections on the ceiling and the grey walls. WAF was off the charts, she was as happy as me with the final results which was a nice bonus.

In terms of every day living, the whole wall black is a no go. While a black hole looks awesome in a dedicated room, I couldn't see it in my living room. That being said, making black masking bars for your screen would be a worthwhile upgrade. They're pretty easy and cheap to make ($15 for foam, $10 for tape and spray glue, $ 24 for 3 yards of velvet, $5 for velco).
In my old basement when I had a 65 inch rear projection TV recessed into the wall, I used Duvetyne (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duvetyne or http://www.filmtools.com/du60exb.html) over heavy duty cardboard and velcro to attach it to the TV and it worked nicely

1101 - 1120 of 1805 Posts