AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1805 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Any date set for the GTG? Just got back in town. Bought a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. Had it delivered today. It even has room to carry some speakers to a GTG! LOL.
holy cow Dave....thats smoken hot...im not even a car guy and i love it...wow...

we had one at my place some weeks back..but now we are waiting on @biliam1982 to set something up before he moves.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Any date set for the GTG? Just got back in town. Bought a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. Had it delivered today. It even has room to carry some speakers to a GTG! LOL.
Dave, that is a sweet ride. Though I'd be afraid to sit in it lest I damage the leather or something... let alone take it out of the garage. lol

Been meaning to ask, have you tried Oppo's new HDR>SDR conversion? I've been using it since the Beta release in January and love it! UHD looks so great now!

But the official firmware release came out last week. If you haven't tried it yet, do it! If you need help setting it up and changing the JVC's color profiles for Rec. 2020, just let me know. We can PM or exchange numbers or I can even come up there if you want.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dave, that is a sweet ride. Though I'd be afraid to sit in it lest I damage the leather or something... let alone take it out of the garage. lol

Been meaning to ask, have you tried Oppo's new HDR>SDR conversion? I've been using it since the Beta release in January and love it! UHD looks so great now!

But the official firmware release came out last week. If you haven't tried it yet, do it! If you need help setting it up and changing the JVC's color profiles for Rec. 2020, just let me know. We can PM or exchange numbers or I can even come up there if you want.
Hey William, After reading your post, I upgraded the firmware last night, but I have not played anything yet, but yes, I could use some help setting up the JVC color profiles. Thanks for the offer! I still want to adjust the subwoofer levels back to where you had them, as the only issue was too much low bass during football games on the Tivo. I think you guys said that the Marantz 8802A can be set so that each input can have its own subwoofer levels?

Chadb, the renowned AVS calibrator, seems to be hard to get to Florida. I never see much of any difference between 1080p and 4K on DVD's, but I do sit 15 feet away from the screen. Maybe I will finally notice HDR and UHD with your help.

You did mentioned I should get two things, one of which was the Rec 2020 and I forget the other one, to get true HDR.

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Hey William, After reading your post, I upgraded the firmware last night, but I have not played anything yet, but yes, I could use some help setting up the JVC color profiles. Thanks for the offer! I still want to adjust the subwoofer levels back to where you had them, as the only issue was too much low bass during football games on the Tivo. I think you guys said that the Marantz 8802A can be set so that each input can have its own subwoofer levels?

Chadb, the renowned AVS calibrator, seems to be hard to get to Florida. I never see much of any difference between 1080p and 4K on DVD's, but I do sit 15 feet away from the screen. Maybe I will finally notice HDR and UHD with your help.

You did mentioned I should get two things, one of which was the Rec 2020 and I forget the other one, to get true HDR.

Thanks
Dave
Hey Dave,

Sent you a PM on here and in the Groupme app.

My calibrator, renowned ISF and THX guy, Gregg Loewen, is also hard to get down here in FL. Supposedly he won't be back until late next month.

Yea, the Marantz can set individual speaker levels for individual inputs.

BTW, we've been trying to setup a GTG at my place. Even thought we were going to be able to do it this weekend but that fell through. Too many people couldn't make it and then there's Bike Week and traffic and hotel rooms made it worse.

So looks like we won't be able to do a formal GTG at my place since I need to move out at the end of the month. But you're more than welcome to come by if you still wanted to hear my system and feel the Crowson Motion Actuators.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
@XBR11 @todd1010 @grnwnv @rselby @HighEndWire @jsrdlr @gtwizard @dengland @omgwtfbbqcrew @mikedrum3000 @jazzzione @Alan Dail @rcapprotti @Theatrebuilder @ufsuperfly

Hey guys, sorry it's a little late notice, but we're going to have a little GTG tomorrow at my place.
@chadsmith013 @Mattcc22 @filtor1 can't make it so we're not going to do a full speaker shootout as most of the DIY options won't be available.

But @soundwave_rider is coming along with another guy from Jax and @easycruise is bringing his CST SHO10's.

Since they're 97dB sensitivity just like my HTM12's, we can do a quick and easy swap of the speaker wire to A/B them.

Otherwise, we don't really have a speaker selector with volume control right now to level match any other speakers.

Mostly we're just going to demo some material and listen to (and feel :cool:) my sound system. Which for reference if you're curious:

Projector: JVC RS500
Screen: Da-Lite High Contrast High Power 2.4 gain 116" wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio (100" 16:9)
LCR: 3x DIYSG HTM12
Surround/ATMOS: 8x DIYSG Concentric8
Far Field Subs: 2x SI HST18mkii in 4cu ft sealed box
Near Field Subs: 2x Dayton 18" UM22 in Mini Marty ported box
Transducers: 2x Crowson Shadow8
Amps: 3x iNuke6kDSP powering all Subs and Transducers
Amps: 6x Crown XLS1500 powering all Speakers
UHD Player: Oppo 203
Media Streamer: Roku Ultra

So you're more than welcome to come join us. People are going to start showing up around 10am but you can come whenever you like... or wake up. :p

PM me for address and directions if you can make it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Appreciate the invite, but I can't tomorrow. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dang heading up to Virginia tomorrow to pick the wife for our permanent move to Florida. Better luck next time. But thanks for the invite.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey guys, sorry it's a little late notice, but we're going to have a little GTG tomorrow at my place.
Well dang, I was in the neighborhood yesterday playing in a poker tournament at the Daytona dog track, but failed to make day 2 after 8 hours of play.... A 10am GTG would have worked out great to pop in and out. I must go seek revenge at the Melbourne poker room today to try and regain my self-worth!

Thanks for the invite. Perhaps I could impose on you for a show and tell some time when I am in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself I'm Chris located south of you in this here wonderful state of Florida.
I've been subscribed to the thread for a little while and figured it was probably a good time for me to go ahead and say hello and join in on the fun.
It's great to see other folks from Florida here on AVS. And certainly would love to hear your opinions on the different equipment you guys keep listening to at get-togethers.
And interesting enough bilium1982 I keep waiting to hear your reaction on the DIY Sig HTM-12 as well as your concentric8 set up. I'm looking at the HTM-12 as a possible purchase in the near future replacing my M&K S100B as the front 3. Now I'm just as bad as you know bilium1982 for not finishing my build thread but curious to see how yours are finished off and how you like the sound of them.
Once again hello and remember have fun,

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself I'm Chris located south of you in this here wonderful state of Florida.
I've been subscribed to the thread for a little while and figured it was probably a good time for me to go ahead and say hello and join in on the fun.
It's great to see other folks from Florida here on AVS. And certainly would love to hear your opinions on the different equipment you guys keep listening to at get-togethers.
And interesting enough bilium1982 I keep waiting to hear your reaction on the DIY Sig HTM-12 as well as your concentric8 set up. I'm looking at the HTM-12 as a possible purchase in the near future replacing my M&K S100B as the front 3. Now I'm just as bad as you know bilium1982 for not finishing my build thread but curious to see how yours are finished off and how you like the sound of them.
Once again hello and remember have fun,
welcome to the thread Chris..biliam just had a GTG last weekend...you could of checked out his sweet set up...

and dont want you to think this thread had died..but we use an app called group me..we all talk daily..its much easier..there are 6 of us on it. sounds like you have a pretty sweet set up...you have 6 VBSS? that has to be pretty intense. I have 2 with the 15 inch version of the sub and its pretty crazy with just the 2. there are a couple of us on these boards that are probably a bit closer to you. @dengland @HighEndWire

·
Registered
809 Posts
Chris - welcome. Due to the late notice, I didn't see the thread about the get together until it was over. Yes, I'm probably very close to you.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Chris - welcome. Due to the late notice, I didn't see the thread about the get together until it was over. Yes, I'm probably very close to you.
@HighEndWire its always funny to me reading the equipment list in your signature..i dont know what any of that stuff is..LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Actually at one point many moons ago, I came close to getting into the cable making (and also HT construction with a partner) business, hence the name. The need for medical benefits after I retired for the first time is the primary reason that never came to pass. From a few local members of my current audio society, I received some begging from a few after bringing over interconnects for them to listen in their system and I made several pairs at material cost (one design was about $175/pair in material costs and the other was a bit over $300).

I don't list the HT stuff in the two integrated systems listed (and I have a few more systems - and if anyone wants to buy me a straight jacket the size is XXL:)). I have stuff you guys have heard of. In the main system, I use an Onkyo 3100 for a receiver, an Epson 5030 projector, an Oppo 103D for Blu-Ray (and also have a modded BDP-83 for now sitting there in case someone wants to hear a disc) and a Power Sound Audio S1500 sub for home theater. In back-up two, I have a Marantz 5010 receiver, a 55 inch Sony 4k TV and an Oppo 203.

The master bedroom system (which also feeds outdoor speaker) has a DaLite 92 inch screen (pic below) with an Epson 8350, an Oppo 103D and an old Onkyo 1008 as a receiver (and a couple of less expensive subs). For now the office system is two channel (I do have in-ceiling surrounds if I change my mind) and it's also stuff you guys probably never heard of (the master bedroom also has a computer with a Denon 1000, JBL speakers and a powered 60W sub). The seldom used Bonus Room system is 4.1 (pic below) includes GR Research N3 mains, a Carver Sunfire Jr. sub, an Oppo BDP-93 and an old Marantz 6003 receiver.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually at one point many moons ago, I came close to getting into the cable making (and also HT construction with a partner) business, hence the name. The need for medical benefits after I retired for the first time is the primary reason that never came to pass. From a few local members of my current audio society, I received some begging from a few after bringing over interconnects for them to listen in their system and I made several pairs at material cost (one design was about $175/pair in material costs and the other was a bit over $300).

I don't list the HT stuff in the two integrated systems listed (and I have a few more systems - and if anyone wants to buy me a straight jacket the size is XXL:)). I have stuff you guys have heard of. In the main system, I use an Onkyo 3100 for a receiver, an Epson 5030 projector, an Oppo 103D for Blu-Ray (and also have a modded BDP-83 for now sitting there in case someone wants to hear a disc) and a Power Sound Audio S1500 sub for home theater. In back-up two, I have a Marantz 5010 receiver, a 55 inch Sony 4k TV and an Oppo 203.

The master bedroom system (which also feeds outdoor speaker) has a DaLite 92 inch screen (pic below) with an Epson 8350, an Oppo 103D and an old Onkyo 1008 as a receiver (and a couple of less expensive subs). For now the office system is two channel (I do have in-ceiling surrounds if I change my mind) and it's also stuff you guys probably never heard of (the master bedroom also has a computer with a Denon 1000, JBL speakers and a powered 60W sub). The seldom used Bonus Room system is 4.1 (pic below) includes GR Research N3 mains, a Carver Sunfire Jr. sub, an Oppo BDP-93 and an old Marantz 6003 receiver.
Always wanted to hear a design with a BG planar driver. How do you like them? Much different from a good dome?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Appreciate the invite, but I can't tomorrow. Maybe next time.
Dang heading up to Virginia tomorrow to pick the wife for our permanent move to Florida. Better luck next time. But thanks for the invite.
Well dang, I was in the neighborhood yesterday playing in a poker tournament at the Daytona dog track, but failed to make day 2 after 8 hours of play.... A 10am GTG would have worked out great to pop in and out. I must go seek revenge at the Melbourne poker room today to try and regain my self-worth!

Thanks for the invite. Perhaps I could impose on you for a show and tell some time when I am in the neighborhood.
No worries that you guys couldn't' make it. And my apologies for such short notice. We really didn't know if was going to even happen with the 3 guys that did show up, @easycruise (Dave) @soundwave_rider (Chris) and @tarponater (Charles). Life is busy and people have stuff going on so it's hard to plan for.

And unfortunately, I'm moving out at the end of the month. And will be out of town this weekend. So if any of you just wanted to stop by and experience it, it would have to be during a weekday. But you're more than welcome to. Just lemme know.

As far as what we did on Sunday... It was pretty awesome and a good experience for all. I'm really glad we got to do it.

We started with just listening to my system. Mostly testing the Bass. First we played @chadsmith013 favorite song in the whole wide world, "Bass I Love You". Then Charles recommended "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. The Slow version with emphasized Bass. Never heard that before and it was wild!

Needless to say, the Bass was crazy during all that. I had things falling all over the house. Food was on the floor in the pantry. Blu-Ray's vibrated off the bookshelf. And even a picture frame fell off the wall. :cool:

During that, I also demo' my Crowson Transducers. Charles and Chris have never experienced something like them before. So I would turn them off and on so they could feel the effects. I also did this to the Near-Field subs (Mini - Marty Ported box with 18" Dayton UM22's) and the Main subs up front (Sealed SI HST18mkii's).

Then we went though Dave's ATMOS Demo Disc. It has some really good material on there and was cool to hear. Then we went though some other AVS demo discs we borrowed from Chad. We played the Gatling Gun scene from "Book of Eli". Was a ton of "kick" there. Also played some other famous scenes like "Irene" from "Blackhawk Down", some from "U571" and "Master and Commander" too.

Next, I had them chose a 4K disc so we could do a quick A/B of Blu-Ray vs 4K HDR on my JVC RS500 using the Oppo 203 Tone Mapping. They chose "John Wick" and the club scene. Lots of Mid-Bass with the guns going off. For video, it was obvious there was enhanced color and detail. I wouldn't say night and day, but definitely an improvement from the SDR version.

We were starting to run out of time so we quickly setup some makeshift stands to place my HTM12's and Dave's SHO10's on. Since they are both 97dB sensitivity, it would be an easy and quick speaker wire swap while still being close in sound level matching. We just had them setup as pairs in Stereo with Audyssey turned off by selecting "Direct" on the Marantz 7702mkii Pre/Pro.

We tried to make it a blind test by covering the speakers with some AT material Dave brought, but I don't think it made a difference after the first track. If you're familiar with the DIYSG speaker options, you know they use a SEOS Waveguide. That provides a very good and expanded sense of Sound Stage. So everyone pretty much knew which was which from the get go. Also, they were a little close, only ~7-8ft away. If we were able to have them further back, maybe it might have been a better chance of competing on the Sound Stage.

I gave my guests the "Sweet Spot" on the main couch for the day. So I was sitting just to the right for all the demos and Speaker comparison. But I still thought the SHO10's and HTM12's sounded good and close in performance. Maybe the HTM12's had a little better bass and clarity. But for how old the design of the SHO10 was and what they went for back in the day, I think they were excellent speakers for their time. Just maybe surpassed some by advancing technologies.

That pretty much wrapped up the day and we packed up. We just BS'd for a little while afterwards before everyone had to get going. Dave brought his Ferrari so we drooled over that too.

I'd love to get Dave, Chris and Charles's take on their experience. They could provide better comments from their better seating that day.

1401 - 1420 of 1805 Posts