AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1805 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Hey guys! Yes indeed I am on the north st Augustine area. What is this thread? I’m always looking for guys with similar interests close by. Doesn’t seem to be that big of a home theater market or demand here locally.
Steve, welcome! You've definitely come to the right place if you're looking for like minded individuals.

As I mentioned in the PM, this thread is for us in the North and Central Florida area and we kinda just have a free range of topics to discuss and help each other out.

We've done a lot of GTG's and meet-ups to help with speaker and sub builds and to hear each others systems. Definitely helps when trying to make a decision on how to proceed in your own.

Feel free to share your setup or ask questions if you need help!

William

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Hi William, I really had a great time at your home. Your system sounds really good! I came back home and listened to "Bass I love you" and it is the only song that I've ever found that sounds best in the "Multi Channel Stereo" selection of the Marantz 8802A sound mode choices.
Sorry, Dave. got busy with the move and forgot to reply to this.

Yea, a lot of those EDM and Techno type song sound really good in that mode. The summation principles add to sound reinforcement and make you feel like you're in the club.

BTW, how are you enjoying HDR after we got it set up on your system?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Hey guys! Yes indeed I am on the north st Augustine area. What is this thread? I’m always looking for guys with similar interests close by. Doesn’t seem to be that big of a home theater market or demand here locally.
welcome Steve...yeah this is a pretty good group of like minded people..we are about 6-7 strong...and most of us all into DIY...if you havent considered DIY on speakers, you really should..unbelievable performance vs price contrast...and we all have a pretty wide range of knowledge..

·
Registered
10 Posts
welcome Steve...yeah this is a pretty good group of like minded people..we are about 6-7 strong...and most of us all into DIY...if you havent considered DIY on speakers, you really should..unbelievable performance vs price contrast...and we all have a pretty wide range of knowledge..

Awesome! I’ve been considering DIY for some subs. I’m looking to upgrade what I have right now. I’m saving up for JTR S1’s. But have been considering Dayton Audio DIY solutions.

Here’s what i currently run:

Set up: 7.2.4
Amp: Emotiva XPA - 3
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060
Sub EQ: Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Screen: Screen Innovations
Projector: Epson 5030 UB
Player: Oppo 203
Wiring: Knukonceptz
Acoustic treatments: GIK acoustics

Speakers:
Mains: Klipsch RF-7ii's
Center: Klipsch RC-64ii
2 Subs: Klipsch SW-115
Side Surrounds: Klipsch RP-240S
Rear Surrounds: Klipsch RS - 52ii
4 in Ceiling Atmos: Klipsch CDT–5800 –C II

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
well Steve..looks like we may of found a host for our next GTG...haha...your room looks great..very clean..I like it..some very solid equipment.

and we all highly recommend DIY subs...we all like the JTR but way overpriced...most of us have DIY subs and you would be welcome to come demo anytime.

also..this thread looks like it has died a little..but we all use an all called group me...we are all pretty much on there everyday talking audio, food or making fun of William...good stuff. if your interested i can give you the specifics..a few of us are even currently doing sub builds..

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Awesome! I’ve been considering DIY for some subs. I’m looking to upgrade what I have right now. I’m saving up for JTR S1’s. But have been considering Dayton Audio DIY solutions.

Here’s what i currently run:

Set up: 7.2.4
Amp: Emotiva XPA - 3
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060
Sub EQ: Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Screen: Screen Innovations
Projector: Epson 5030 UB
Player: Oppo 203
Wiring: Knukonceptz
Acoustic treatments: GIK acoustics

Speakers:
Mains: Klipsch RF-7ii's
Center: Klipsch RC-64ii
2 Subs: Klipsch SW-115
Side Surrounds: Klipsch RP-240S
Rear Surrounds: Klipsch RS - 52ii
4 in Ceiling Atmos: Klipsch CDT–5800 –C II
Also on the verge of upgrading to a Sony 4K projector and moving on from my epson 5030 UB
Steve, very nice room indeed! Definitely should make you way up to Jax to hear some of the DIY speakers and subs they have. I'm sure you'd be surprised at how good they are for the money. I'd invite you down here to listen to my system, but unfortunately I'm moving out this week.

As for sub recommendations, we need a little more info to help you out there. What's your budget? Do you have any size limitations? What goals are you trying to achieve with the upgrades? Are you planning on selling the Klipsch an completely replace them or add to the with more? Have you also considered Transducers/Motion Actuators like the Crowsons or Buttkicers?

For the projector, what made you decide on the Sony? And which model?

I just today shipped out my Epson 5030 I sold and currently have a JVC RS500. Many others in this thread have JVC RS500's too. IMO, much better performance and features for the price vs Sony. And I read that the new RSx40's do much better with HDR OOTB.

I've seen the Sony many times. Good performers too but I feel you're paying more for the name. And I don't think a native 4K chip is necessary. Depending on how close you sit, which by you pictures seems a good 2-3x screen height, faux 4k or eshift on the JVC's will suffice.

Having experienced all these projectors, I know you would love any projector upgrade over the Epson. Not a bad projector at all, just different price and performance category.

Having said all that, if you absolutely had to upgrade the projector now, I'd vote JVC. But honestly, you should wait for this fall after CEDIA. Many more models should be coming out. They should have a much better handle on HDR and hoping for more Laser models too. Because you really need lasers for HDR and to hit Rec2020 color gamut.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well Steve..looks like we may of found a host for our next GTG...haha...your room looks great..very clean..I like it..some very solid equipment.

and we all highly recommend DIY subs...we all like the JTR but way overpriced...most of us have DIY subs and you would be welcome to come demo anytime.

also..this thread looks like it has died a little..but we all use an all called group me...we are all pretty much on there everyday talking audio, food or making fun of William...good stuff. if your interested i can give you the specifics..a few of us are even currently doing sub builds..
Chad, would love to come hear something sometime! Never heard DIY subs before...

Also would love an invite to the app. Just send me the particulars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve, very nice room indeed! Definitely should make you way up to Jax to hear some of the DIY speakers and subs they have. I'm sure you'd be surprised at how good they are for the money. I'd invite you down here to listen to my system, but unfortunately I'm moving out this week.

As for sub recommendations, we need a little more info to help you out there. What's your budget? Do you have any size limitations? What goals are you trying to achieve with the upgrades? Are you planning on selling the Klipsch an completely replace them or add to the with more? Have you also considered Transducers/Motion Actuators like the Crowsons or Buttkicers?

For the projector, what made you decide on the Sony? And which model?

I just today shipped out my Epson 5030 I sold and currently have a JVC RS500. Many others in this thread have JVC RS500's too. IMO, much better performance and features for the price vs Sony. And I read that the new RSx40's do much better with HDR OOTB.

I've seen the Sony many times. Good performers too but I feel you're paying more for the name. And I don't think a native 4K chip is necessary. Depending on how close you sit, which by you pictures seems a good 2-3x screen height, faux 4k or eshift on the JVC's will suffice.

Having experienced all these projectors, I know you would love any projector upgrade over the Epson. Not a bad projector at all, just different price and performance category.

Having said all that, if you absolutely had to upgrade the projector now, I'd vote JVC. But honestly, you should wait for this fall after CEDIA. Many more models should be coming out. They should have a much better handle on HDR and hoping for more Laser models too. Because you really need lasers for HDR and to hit Rec2020 color gamut.
So on my budget I'm open... I was looking at trying to pull 2 JTR S1's that would hit me around $4K.

I'm going to be getting rid of the Klipsch... looking for something that has tight bass, a little less boomy, that's why I was looking at going the sealed route. I really want something that hits you hard in the chest with clean, tight bass. No butt kickers because I think running the wires would be too much of a hassle for a clean install.

As far a projectors... I am looking at the JVC 590 and the Sony VPL VW285... I'm not in a huge rush Just want to be able to get some value out of my Epson while I can. I'm open to both Sony and JVC.... a buddy of mine (out of state) is running the JVC in a dedicated light controlled room and it was amazing. My distance is about 13 - 14 feet from the screen.

Either way, My next upgrades will be subs, projector and then maybe receiver... I have my eyes on an Anthem AVM60. But budgets are tight and I can only swing a little at a time.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Chad, would love to come hear something sometime! Never heard DIY subs before...

Also would love an invite to the app. Just send me the particulars.
steve..sent you a PM..

yes definitely work on something we can schedule for you to have a listen..so far each of us have heard them, then decided to get them...they are an easy sell. and easier then you would think to get them going...the subs as well.

also per your other post..with a 4k budget....you would do great in DIY

i spent 1k on 2 18'subs and a amp to push them and that included building both boxes...whenever you can, click on my profile and look at posts that i have created and you can see 2 of my build threads..one for the subs and then one for the speakers...they are really awesome. and all of us are on budgets and thats what makes DIY so awesome.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
FYI..we are working on doing a GTG within the next several weeks...

Reactions: Mattcc22

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Subbed

I'm in the Central FL region, Palm Bay/Melbourne area. I see there are a few guys not too far away from me.

I've DIY'd most of my speakers but they do tend to be different from the run of the mill types. I've got a 4x8 CNC machine which makes things a little easier.
Don't have full build threads for most of my stuff but here are a few links to things that I've done.

JBL M2 Clones
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2852530-diy-jbl-m2-2.html#post54548054

JBL M2, next to my Curved floorstander
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?40098-JBL-M2-DIY-Badge&p=409156&viewfull=1#post409156

XTZ 3x12 Clones
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/809449/thread

I'll try to add links for other speakers when I find them

I do have a dedicated room at the moment 16.5x13x9 but because I always planned to move when the last kid was off to college I've put more into my equipment than into the room itself, but next year I get to start planning a dedicated room in a new home so that room will be done properly from the ground up.

Equipment list is in my signature.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Subbed

I'm in the Central FL region, Palm Bay/Melbourne area. I see there are a few guys not too far away from me.

I've DIY'd most of my speakers but they do tend to be different from the run of the mill types. I've got a 4x8 CNC machine which makes things a little easier.
Don't have full build threads for most of my stuff but here are a few links to things that I've done.

JBL M2 Clones
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2852530-diy-jbl-m2-2.html#post54548054

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?40098-JBL-M2-DIY-Badge&p=409156&viewfull=1#post409156

XTZ 3x12 Clones

I do have a dedicated room at the moment 16.5x13x9 but because I always planned to move when the last kid was off to college I've put more into my equipment than into the room itself, but next year I get to start planning a dedicated room in a new home so that room will be done properly from the ground up.

welcome to the thread..glad to have you..I think @HighEndWire and @dengland are very close to you...sounds like you have some serious equipment..you and highendwire would get along.

we are having a GTG at my place this weekend..nothing formal..just auditioning some speakers for one of the jax peeps...i live on the Northside of jax..

Reactions: filtor1

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Subbed

JBL M2 Clones

XTZ 3x12 Clones

Glad you decided to post. Those M2 clones look fantastic!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
ps..doing a GTG at my house at noon this saturday..nothing crazy..just auditioning a few speakers and just hanging out.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Glad you decided to post. Those M2 clones look fantastic!
yeah just saw them...they look outstanding....
Thanks

And thanks for the invite perhaps if there is someone else from around these parts who wants to share a ride and split the gas money I’ll take you up on the invite. I have a fairly nice motor so don’t mind doing the driving.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
yeah i bet thats a nice trip for you all the way up there..i know highendwire and dengland are out your way..not sure of any others..they havent came to one yet..be cool to have them out...but i wouldnt blame you for not wanting to make that drive..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok after seeing the M2 clone thread I’m done dreaming of building speakers. I will just buy some JBLs for my studio.

Unfortunately I will miss the GTG. I am going under the knife this week to remove some unwanted hardware from my mountain bike accident from 2015. Second procedure from this accident , hopefully this should get me back up running on the bike this summer.

Old man doing young man stuff can be a bit challenging.

Cheers,
Dale

1441 - 1460 of 1805 Posts