AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outside of the local OTA stations that people have to receive via either antenna or cable(ABC, NBC, CBS, WB, UPN, PBS, FOX, Etc...) and the ones that are exclusive to either cable or satellite(TNT, Discovery, INHD, ESPNHD, Etc...) when are any new offerings on the horizon?

You would think that HD/Digital cable networks would begin to pop up more as time marches on, but it seems to have stopped.

TBS, History Channel, USA, SPIKETV, E!, when are these channels and others going to go at least digital, if not HD?

Is there anywhere to find out, or is it just wait and see?

·
Registered
771 Posts
The problem with tbs, usa, e!, etc is that these are all on "Basic Cable". THis means you can get them without a settop box. Cable co's would love to move them to digital because they can put several in the space of one, but all of the basic cable customers would be very unhappy.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
In some systems they are also digital!!

My local Comcast also broadcasts some of the cable channels on it's digital tier!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
all that means is that the cable comapny takes the analog channels and digitzes them. the only advantage to that is it gets rid of intermediate noise in transmission. i agree, these networks need to get some hi def feeds like TNT has.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i dont know if its a new channel, but time warner cable in akron ohio just added universal HD a couple days ago. they have been showing the us open tennis the last 2 days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell
all that means is that the cable comapny takes the analog channels and digitzes them. the only advantage to that is it gets rid of intermediate noise in transmission. i agree, these networks need to get some hi def feeds like TNT has.
That is true for off-air broadcast, local origination channels, and some satellite services, but most of the national services in your basic lineup like USA, ESPN, TBS, etc. are recieved digitally by the cable company. In cities with an "all-digital" lineup (and a small duplicate analog basic), those channels remain digital through their system to the set-top box.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, absolutely right, and a very good point. I guess we can hope that as they free up bandwidth by migrating more channels to digital, we'll see some more HD content.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey, I wouldn't mind digital 480i in the interim before more networks change to HD. All of the analog stations from my Comcast cable box look horrible, not because of the low resolution, but because of the amount of static and lines moving about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.