AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had LASIK done in 08 and it was the best investment I've ever made.

But I do have some slight ghosting in one of my eyes. It's noticeable with bright contrasting sources of lights, like bright LEDs shining in a dark room. I soon stopped noticing it though. Even when night driving--it seems too subtle.

I recently got a plasma (Panny v10). I like to watch TV/movies in the dark but by-golly plasmas are bright.

If you have ghosting/halos, what do you guys do? Turn down the brightness to the detriment of your picture quality? Or use backlighting/dimmed lighting?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know a few people that have got it done and have major problems. And all of them got it done here locally in Nashville with Ming Wang, the best in the business.

I will stick to my $200 per year contacts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had Lasik and I have a Pioneer 5080HD. The main issue is night glare which I always had before the procedure.

As suggested, you should use a backlight ambient light. I use IdealLume for backlight. I keep it as low as possible and made sure that the light does not hit the ceiling directly. But the key is to keep the contrast on the TV low so you don't get glare during the bright scenes.

The correct way to set Contrast is to set it at level that does not cause eye strain.

If you have meter, you should start at 35ftL. That is the level I have my TV set. Just one click higher on the contrast and I notice the glare.

If you dont have a meter then just dial contrast down one click at a time. You should be able to look at the bright scenes without squinting. Just play the same Blu-ray that you notice glare, slowly lower the Contrast until it does not bother you. In most cases, the rest of your settings need not be changed. Your brightness should be set with a brightness pattern dvd. I calibrated my TV with a meter and nothing is affected by just reducing the Contrast including gray scale.

Make sure you dont do this when you are tired, tired eyes see more glare.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. Just to follow up, while I haven't had a professional calibration yet or bought proper bias-lighting, I did experiment with ambient lighting and placing incandescent light behind the screen.

Overall I think with "ghosting", lighting (thus iris/pupil size) doesn't affect the ghosting much, although it is more noticeable in the dark. I may still try bias lighting in the future though. I don't have any problems with halos but people that do usually do when their pupils are open wide.

I also find that when viewing in the dark, my long eyelashes create glare--never realized it until I held them back. Not sure what I can do about that.

I found the contrast setting, as mentioned by some of you, helped when turned down. But I found I had to turn it way way down to see an improvement (ie from 100% to 25%). Then I found this setting called "Panel Brightness" in the "Pro" settings of my plasma. Apparently it is nomenclature for high end gamma but I'm not entirely sure. Whatever it is, when I turned it to low, the glare died down a whole lot, and I was able to turn the contrast back up and the picture looks great. I'm sure a professional calibration would have figured that out but just wanted to throw it out there.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Had LASIK done 10 years ago. Halos and ghosting was pretty severe initially but slowly faded and I have had no issues and still have zero prescription in both eyes (initially was 4.0+ast in both).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts