AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the thread "Sharp 9000 Lip Sync Problems" below and considering buying the Sony 11HT, I wondered if any lip-sync problems could occur.

Looking over the brochure it describes its 'wonderful' cine motion 2:3/3:2 pulldown mode and how it recreates the filmic 24fps. It occurred to me that several frames would need to be captured before rebuilding the 24fps.

Thus my question: would I see subtle lip-sync errors as the Sharp appears to have?

It may or may not be detectable to me, but I'm not too concerned. I may be able to add delays to my Yammy A2 to compensate. My software is mainly PAL, but the future is looking mixed ;)

Miro.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Not that I have noticed. The 11ht works great with both my 480i dvd and an htpc with no sync issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
mjcumming,

How well do the new "cine motion" deinterlacer and the scaler on the 11HT work? Everyone always says how crap the deinterlacer was on the 10HT. But they also say the scaller is pretty good.

I have the 11HT as #1 on my shortlist of projectors, followed by the Sanyo PLV-60, etc. Although I'm still waiting for the 11HT to arrive to the UK so I can get a demonstration. I am going to use a HTPC as one of the sources. However, I'm concerned about watching other standard def sources both NTSC & PAL, ie VHS, Digital cable, 480i/576i DVD, etc. With the 10HT, I would have needed the Iscan Pro. Have they improved the de-interlacer in the 11HT compaired to the 10HT? What I'm wondering is will the IScan still be needed with the 11HT?

Thanks, William

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
William,

There's a bit of info on such matters on the avforum at
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...threadid=25149

Someone wants to know is the Sony 11HT worth it.

From the images I've seen of the 10HT & 11HT plus the positive replys here, makes the 11HT sound like a good buy without demoing. A scary move but good chance to me.

I know the 10HT had a bug preventing PC usage but previous threads have said it now works OK on the 11HT.

Miro.

PS. Have a read at http://crimdom.net/home-theatre/index.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
No lip sync problems that I can see (or hear).

Full compatibility with the DTC-100 540p output.

Very easy to use and setup.

Colors were right on out of the box, black level and white level need to be adjusted, and then the picture became very nice.

Switching progressive mode on and off with a Panasonic RP-56 was difficult to see the difference. I accidently started watching DVDs with the RP-56 in interlaced mode, and didn't even know it until I noticed that the progressive light wasn't on. (Note: this was not scientific in anyway - just initial impressions.)

Computer compatibility:

Still working on this one. I can get 1360x768 (remind anyone of the PLV-60), but can't get 1366x768 from Powerstrip. The 1360x768 looks good, but I'm still a novice with HTPC video configuration.

Overall it is a very nice projector.

HD looks fantastic, DVDs look very good, and I've found that I don't even mind the image from my PVR for TV shows recorded off of DSS or OTA.

BTW - blacks do not look gray. I do have a grayhawk, so that probably helps.

Paul

·
Registered
191 Posts
pms67,

From what I've read elsewhere, the PC resolution can either be set to 1360x768 or 1368x768. This is because the drivers generally only support resolutions divisible by 8. I still can't quite work out how you fool the projector into doing the 1:1 pixel mapping if you don't actually sent it exactly 1366. I'll worry about that when a local store says I can have a demo. I'll take my PC along with me. :)

Try a search for 1368 and 11HT for the thread that mentions this.

William

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I can see no lip sync problems with cine motion on or off. As paul has said above, the difference between progressive and interlaced dvd is very difficult to see. The internal scaler is excellent. I notice little improvement when using the htpc as well. Almost not worth the effort. HDTV (Band of Brothers) was simply awesome.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what you all say, the 11HT is definitely worth its cost.

In the UK I'm looking at 4350 GBP for the 11HT, 9000 GBP for the Sharp 9000 and 6200 GBP for the HT200DM. The Sony level is my max budget limit, and while there are a few more pjs to wait for such as the Hitachi sx5500, it is the best in this price range.

I have deduced from this and other threads that...

coupled with a grey screen and/or pscan DVD source, blacks should not be problem and picture quality would be excellent. Colours should be dazzling from the box. SCREENDOOR at 10-11ft concerns me, though. No rainbows which are very obvious to me. Quiet and better dust control. A HTPC is not necessary to get the best image, that saves 1/2 mile of cable from upstairs. Short throw for big image (7ft wide for me!)

I have two extra questions if I may:

Q. How does the screendoor look from 9-10ft viewing position on a 7ft wide image? The Sanyo 60 has very fine pixelation from 14ft, according to my eyes.

Q. With the Grayhawk, what are the shadow details like? I bang on about this, but the library scene in The Mummy (15mins in) sees black jacket and lapel detail in the curators jacket. Any other good suggestions for a test DVD is also welcome.

I may have gone off thread slightly, sorry but 4000+ is alot of pennies.

Thank you all.

Miro

·
Registered
289 Posts
Miro,

Regarding the screen door effect:

I have a 10HT (same resolution as 11HT) with a home-made 7-foot-wide gray screen (actually 7'1"). I defocus the picture very slightly to reduce the pixel gap a bit without losing resolution (pixels are still discrete).

Our seating position puts our eyes at 12 feet from the screen. From this distance I never see screen door unless there is a large patch of bright solid colour in the middle of the screen. Even then it is minimal at most and I often don't see it even if I focus on the area! None of my guests or my wife have ever noticed it (not enough to comment on it at least).

I suspect at 11 feet away it would still be virtually invisible, but I can't guarantee it. You should get a demo before buying, especially if your eyesight is really good. I wear contact lenses which give me excellent vision, but your mileage may vary!

Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was told that the 11HT actually uses new panels. Same resolution but with two main benefits. Note: This is yet to be confirmed by a second source.

1. The very tiny transistors on the LCD panels which turn on/off the pixels are actually smaller on the new panels. Therfore more light gets through giving less chicken-wire effect.

2. The manufacture process has improved. So the chance of getting one with dead pixels is greatly reduced.

Miro,

I'm not too far away from Swansea. I'm interested to know where you got your price from. Is this place or another around your area giving demos? Send me an email or private message.

Also, nobody closer than London to the east of me has Greyhawks for viewing. Any round your way? BTW, I know of a place in London(advertises in HCC mag) doing the 11HT for £4000 inc VAT.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Miro,

I will check the scene you mention in The Mummy.

The screen door is very elusive.

Sometimes I think I see it, but then I see a large patch of solid color and I just can't tell. Most of the time, the visual artifacts I see are source related (i.e. over the air broadcast or highly compressed DSS stations.) Not the projector's fault.

I need to look at it again, but currently the space between side by side pixels is very hard to discern, even up close. The space between a pixel above another is easier to see. I'll be checking my focus, but I think it is prettly close.

I was going to try the Cygnus IMX processor, but they have yet to respond to numerous emails.

Paul

·
Registered
456 Posts
OK I've finally firmly decided on this PJ (VW11HT.) Was going to consider an LS110 because it might be a great cost first PJ, but realized that I won't be able to afford another PJ for years after this, and I'll be REALLY jealous of HDTV (and 720p in general) in a year/year & 1/2.

It is very dissapointing to hear multiple reports of bad service from Cygnus. I think eventually I'll want the image proc to give me a more fillm-like feel w/o too much softness, but it doesn't seem wise to trust money to these people, from what I've heard.

Well, two years is a millenium in the tech field. Maybe something better for LCDs will be out by by then.

OT: Any 11HT owners think the PJ might benefit from a very light red filter as some say the 10HT does (ie. how's the reds?)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Miro,

I think your screen is getting a little too big for your seating distance. I am about 11 feet from the screen. Started off with an 80" wide 16:9. I find it a little large and I am now watching with the image downsized to about 70" wide. Screen door is related to picture size vs viewing distance. I think if you view distance is any less than about 1.3x screen width you are going to start noticing screen door.

JB,

I haven't tried the red filter but so far I have been very happy with the color. However, I haven't had the unit isf'ed. I have heard you may improve the black levels with the filter.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mj,

My viewing ratio is approx 1.5 for 7ft wide. I recognise what you say and have planned that 7ft wide is THE MAX width which is comfortable for viewing; the room width factors in too.

My pj shall be temporarily setup to judge the best image size first, well before any hole drilling starts. The screen will be DIY grey-paint-on wall type and blackboard paint edging.

As I said above, the demos I've seen of Sim2 DLP and Sanyo 60 were from 14ft approx and screendoor was evident in colour patches on the 60. The screen was 73" wide viewing area matte white.

Basically, its a matter of 'suck it and see' to find whats comfortable. How those people can say 'my next screen will be 150" ' is wonder to me.:rolleyes:

Is this Cygnus Imaging Corporation http://www.cgns.com/ different from our favourite Cygnus topic here?

Miro

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, that is the Cygnus Imaging that we all know an love.

It would be great if they would actually return my emails.

And yes, I realize you can order an IMX online, but as far as I can tell, it is not a secure site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.