AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point there are so many choice for media streamers that it's kind of mind numbing. I think I have my sights on a Roku (either HD or HDXR). My "main" system is a Mythtv based HTPC so I have all the music, DVD server, file streaming functionality but the one thing I don't get with the linux box is Netflix. It seems the Roku would fill the gap at a relatively low cost.


I've got a hardwire CAT6 line to the TV and Verizon FIOS so I'm set for speed. That being the case I don't think I need the HDXR but I have to wonder if there is something else under the hood than just a wireless N card.


Netflix streams a max of 720p so I don't think I missing out with no 1080 capability? How about 5.1 surround?


Can anyone convince me not to spend $99 on the roku or should this be an immediate purchase?


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
Rokulabs has a tendancy to abandon their products and leave their customers out to dry. I have been burned by them as have thousands of others.


If you want good picture quality, streamed Netflix is NOT the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog /forum/post/18303142


At this point there are so many choice for media streamers that it's kind of mind numbing. I think I have my sights on a Roku (either HD or HDXR). My "main" system is a Mythtv based HTPC so I have all the music, DVD server, file streaming functionality but the one thing I don't get with the linux box is Netflix. It seems the Roku would fill the gap at a relatively low cost.


I've got a hardwire CAT6 line to the TV and Verizon FIOS so I'm set for speed. That being the case I don't think I need the HDXR but I have to wonder if there is something else under the hood than just a wireless N card.


Netflix streams a max of 720p so I don't think I missing out with no 1080 capability? How about 5.1 surround?


Can anyone convince me not to spend $99 on the roku or should this be an immediate purchase?


Thanks!


netflix does not offer 5.1 on any platform.


I own a Roku and a few other netflix boxes. Why not consider an inexpensive BD player with Netflix built in for a little more money?


Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
The Roku has become an indispensible part of my home theater. In addition to Netflix there is a growing list of additional content and indications are much more is coming including streaming local content from your home PC (already available in beta form).


Netfilx has promised 5.1 on the Roku later this year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/18304323


Rokulabs has a tendancy to abandon their products and leave their customers out to dry. I have been burned by them as have thousands of others.


If you want good picture quality, streamed Netflix is NOT the way to go.

Which products have they abandoned? I've not heard of this.


My HTPC can do everything (DVD, bluray, etc) with the exception of Netflix streaming. I'd rather have a small box (roku type) to do that rather than another larger piece of equipment to manage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
If all you need is to stream is Netflix the Roku is hard to beat. Picture quality is great and even my mom knows how to use one. I'd personally go for the Popbox to get the added functionality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog /forum/post/18305119


Which products have they abandoned? I've not heard of this.


My HTPC can do everything (DVD, bluray, etc) with the exception of Netflix streaming. I'd rather have a small box (roku type) to do that rather than another larger piece of equipment to manage.

Sure they abandoned their early media players...


honestly they did not update add any value to the new player for over a year...


The box does what you want but I still think they are a flaky company with a question record of really supporting their customers.


Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog /forum/post/18305119


Which products have they abandoned? I've not heard of this.

PhotoBridge (one of the earliest, decent streamers), for starters. Nearly all development was done by the users.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
My Roku is simple and small and just works for what it was designed to do. I always get 4 Dot quality on wireless G. At $99 I was glad to get it and use it for the last year and half.


HOWEVER, there are more cost effective solutions available today. They usually cost slightly more than $99 but offer alot more. Samsung and LG BD players with Netflix built in, for example. Some even offer wireless connections and media streaming ability for your videos and photos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Mike /forum/post/18304817


The Roku has become an indispensible part of my home theater. In addition to Netflix there is a growing list of additional content and indications are much more is coming including streaming local content from your home PC (already available in beta form).


Netfilx has promised 5.1 on the Roku later this year


I agree with this statement. Roku has been a great purchase especially for those who do not like cable or satellite TV. Steams Pandora, TV shows, and MLB!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I have a small(6 3/4") lcd flip-down tv mounted underneath a cabinet in the kitchen, and I am considering the SD roku to view netflix content in the kitchen. Due to the size of the screen, and the fact that it's SD, there is absolutely no reason to pursue something like a BD player with netflix built in.


Can any one suggest other devices? I'm not opposed to the roku, but I would entertain superior alternatives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar /forum/post/18306872


If all you need is to stream is Netflix the Roku is hard to beat. Picture quality is great and even my mom knows how to use one. I'd personally go for the Popbox to get the added functionality.

Picture quality is great compared to what? The picture quality is lousy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I currently have a WDTV Live and wanted to add something that would stream netflix and amazon without having playon running. I could have waited till the popbox or boxee box was released but I would not touch either of them they have been released for a while to see what kind of apps and impressions are available. I purchased the Roku to complement the WDTV and they do overlap quite nicely. I do love the Roku box and even if they didn't add anymore functionality it still is a decent buy at $99.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,210 Posts
Picture quality is lousy compared to BD for sure. I was watching season 4 of Deadliest Catch and can confidently say that picture quality is also lousy compared to DirecTV HD and that is compressed to all crap. Having said that, I do use a few Roku boxes for convenience. I would not replace my BD player or even my DirecTv but I do like for some variety. I have a 20mbps connection wired directly to my players and have no problems with buffering or stuttering on HD stuff. I would like to see more resolution or more mbps at 720p even before I could declare the Roku a real winner, but it is good for what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez /forum/post/18369177


Picture quality is great compared to what? The picture quality is lousy.

Lousy compared to what? PQ of HD streams is on par with my HD Cox Cable. If you want videophile PQ then streaming content from the internet is not something you should be doing. SD content is not great but it's certainly watchable for most people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/18371470


Lousy compared to what? PQ of HD streams is on par with my HD Cox Cable. If you want videophile PQ then streaming content from the internet is not something you should be doing. SD content is not great but it's certainly watchable for most people.

You could say picture quality is great for a low quality source, but to say that picture quality is great, is really misleading. This is like saying that a 192kbps mp3 file quality is great or that a Yugo is great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I am interested in the Roku too, I already have a LG BD390 and a TiVo HD for Netflix streaming, the real reason for me to be interested in the Roku box is simply... MLB.tv I got the year subscription for $20 and I am a huge Red Sox fan living in WI. Has anyone tried out the Roku with this feature? I know they released it last year... Plus I would also use the Roku for Revision3 shows too. HD Nation and Tekzilla...

Any thoughts guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster109 /forum/post/18382395


I am interested in the Roku too, I already have a LG BD390 and a TiVo HD for Netflix streaming, the real reason for me to be interested in the Roku box is simply... MLB.tv I got the year subscription for $20 and I am a huge Red Sox fan living in WI. Has anyone tried out the Roku with this feature? I know they released it last year... Plus I would also use the Roku for Revision3 shows too. HD Nation and Tekzilla...

Any thoughts guys?

I want MLB too, how did you get a subscription for only $20?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/18383182


I want MLB too, how did you get a subscription for only $20?

There was a special offering going on for Boxee that allowed me to get a Year long $20 subscription...


Found it on slickdeals.net about a week ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Anyone watching MLB.tv on their Roku??? Let me know how it works for ya!!!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top