AVS Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
So what do you do when you have 2 sealed 15 inch 22mm Xmax sealed subs in. 4m x 5m room but you’re missing that kick drum punchy type of bass.

People seem to say that this is In the 40 to 100 hz region and I would be better off with some low Xmax 18” high efficiency b&c drivers instead?

That would obviously not be chasing extension. But apparently would be the better choice for this application even though my subs are not stressed in the slightest at these frequencies.

I’ll be honest I don’t get it.

All I know is my Single 12” JL audio sub in my old car with focal components has this punch and kick with real authority.

Getting the required information inch / slam and the low extension in a house seems to be a difficult task.

But KEF LS50’s and 2 15” subs in my house don’t. So what am I missing.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
So what do you do when you have 2 sealed 15 inch 22mm Xmax sealed subs in. 4m x 5m room but you’re missing that kick drum punchy type of bass.
What does the FR look like? How hot are the subs relative to the mains?

I’ll be honest I don’t get it.

All I know is my Single 12” JL audio sub in my old car with focal components has this punch and kick with real authority.
I think trying to get your home system to match your car system in this area is always a difficult proposition with the crazy cabin gain we get in cars.

You can likely improve things by tweaking your current FR/level, and another approach is to add a ported MBM to take advantage of its PV around tune.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry I don’t know what the terms MBM and PV mean.

But I can tell you I use Dirac live on the emotiva and then look at the results with REW. I have a house curve that stay pretty flat. (Don’t EQ above 5k) and rises gradually from 200 to 30hz and then keep it the same until 20hz.

Total would be around +1db at 100hz to around to around +5db at 30hz

Crossover set at 80hz or 70hz with a 24db slope on the sub

I’m trying to get the right curve with out it sounding boomy or localised.

Some tracks, (especially billy Eilish songs) can tend to sound over the top bass if too much bass rise is used.

Yet rock music with a lot of drums doesn’t kick like it should.

·
Registered
372 Posts
FYI, look into a hover BOSS setup. I have several LLT subs tuned to 12hz. Are they fun? Yes, but I need to have the volume high enough to get that rumbling and shaking. (I rarely play above -15db) I implemented a hoverBOSS, and I couldn't be happier. For $300 all in I have output deep into the single digits, and I don't need the volume high to get those sub 20hz effects.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry I don’t know what the terms MBM and PV mean.

But I can tell you I use Dirac live on the emotiva and then look at the results with REW. I have a house curve that stay pretty flat. (Don’t EQ above 5k) and rises gradually from 200 to 30hz and then keep it the same until 20hz.

Total would be around +1db at 100hz to around to around +5db at 30hz

Crossover set at 80hz or 70hz with a 24db slope on the sub

I’m trying to get the right curve with out it sounding boomy or localised.

Some tracks, (especially billy Eilish songs) can tend to sound over the top bass if too much bass rise is used.

Yet rock music with a lot of drums doesn’t kick like it should.

IMO a lot of the issue is how something is mixed. A quick peruse of the bassEQ thread shows that. Everyone has a personal taste as to how hot they like the bass. Unfortunately this doesn't line up with every mixing engineer. Bass/kick drum is mixed differently for each album so is up to you to tweak your system to where it sounds best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
41 - 48 of 48 Posts