AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've decided to call up for some samples today, but just wanted to see if there were any other dissenting opinions on this combo. most of the posts i've seen have been pretty positive, but when i talk to certain dealers, it seems they are vehemently opposed to using high gain screens with digital projectors.

i'm speculating that rainbows may become more noticable (since i've gotten use to this pj, they haven't been any concern in the last 40 or 50 hrs i've used it), and i'm also wondering if artifacts may be more prominent-not only scaling, but source bound like compression, etc.

i wanted to put off buying a screen for a long time, mostly because i was so proud of how slick my diy turned out, but now with the Isco coming, i think i'll appreciate it more with an optimal surface.

anybody who has or had this combo want to give me some words of caution?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Don't do it! Once you see what you've been missing you're going to hit your head against a wall and probably seriously hurt yourself! Then you'll blame me for your injuries. ;)

Seriously though, how can you lose? This isn't an expensive screen - it's not like you're investing several thousand dollars -more like several hundred. After this start saving for that HTPC.

I love the way you guys upgrade - always kicking and screaming. I bet you'll spend less time looking at a house before you purchase than comtemplating your next HT upgrade! :)

Hey, do you expect everyone to agree that this combo is the "best"? Not a chance on this forum. Some love the new Sharp while others don't! Some love the Seleco while others don't! Some love the LT150 while others don't! It's the nature of the beast. You decide! Check out Mr. Wigggles last thread about the LT150 and HD. He tried the LT150 with both the Greyhawk and Da-lite Hipower and called the LT150 + Hipower combo "awesome". I totally agree. Make sure you mask your screen.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I've had an LT150 since the Dell deal days.

I setup up 2 viewing locations, comments below:

Setup 1) Hipower screen 60x80, projector on the floor, under the seating, bottom of 16:9 viewing area about 2 ft off the floor. Walls around the screen are painted dark.

Setup 2) Painted wall, dark blue around white painted screen, screen here is about 65" wide, 16:9 format. Projector is in front of the seating, about 1 ft off the floor. Screen is such that you look into the middle when seated.

Whats the best, without a doubt, the painted wall.

I had painted the wall waiting for the Hipower to arrive, when it did and I set it up, I was expecting it to be better than it turned out. I set it up over the painted screen to compare. When viewing it from the right spot, it's true colors are brighter, whites are very white, but the painted screen looks great from all angles, colors are more natural.

I found the Hipower to be very sensitive to the viewing location. It seems to be best with eye level at projector level and the projector just below the screen bottom. So when I sit with the projector below the seating I know I am not getting the best picture out of the screen, I don't like that. Also when others are watching I know that those off to the side are seeing a degraded image.

With a painted screen viewing looks great from all angles.

Key to any type of screen, is to darken the areas around the screen. With a painted screen its easy, set up the projector with a 16:9 image, mark the viewing area. Paint the screen white, the sides dark.

Also, I found I seldom if ever use the full 4:3 viewing area. With the Hipower 4:3 I pull it down to the bottom of the 16:9 image, and have to mask the top with material.

On the rainbow issue, I've never seen any on the painted screen or the high power.

If I had to do it again, I'd save the money and just paint a large screen.

If it has to be a formal screen I'd go 16:9 matte white or low gain screen with a wider viewing angle.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jack, your in Toronto right... do you want to get rid of your hi-power?

Miles

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Actually, I'm in the West, and discarded the packing materials some time ago. It's set up now to pull down over a window, so I'd have to get another screen if I sold it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its a bad screen that I want to get rid of, the picture from the 150 on it looks great, even at a less than optimal angle. If I lay on the floor it even looks better!

It's just that with viewing angle issue and the excellent image produced at all angles on a painted wall, it may not be necessary.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
When I had my 150 I used both a HP and a matte screen. I prefered the matte screen.

I'm still using the HP with CRT projectors only because the 7" projectors need the extra reflectivity to have enough brightness in the picture. But I still don't like what it does to the picture.

This and every other high gain screen I've ever used makes whites too hot for my taste.

Bob

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
This is definitely an interesting debate.

If you have a dark room, small screen area, ceiling mount projector, and/or a wide viewing angle, your viewing room is ideal and any screen will work for you.

However, for those who need/want gain, the high power is hands down the best for table top mounting ( not floor :) ). It doesn't hotspot.

Robert,

I don't think the high power is the best for CRT's because they're not one gun projectors. Also, I think it is important to have some sort of reference level. With the high power you can actually turn on some lights.

I think the best image will come from 20 - 30 ft-L for peak white at the viewing positions.

For the LT150, the high-power will give you some extra lumens so that you can do some color correction with filters or RGB controls. The high power also really brings out details and colors especially with HD. If you get any less than 10 ft-L for peak white, the details and colors of the image start to get degraded. The Edward's Cinema's here in Houston have much better movie presentations than most theaters because they keep their projectors at about 15 ft-L while most of the other Mega-Stadiums show much more life-less images. Intensity makes a big difference on color.

I think the highpower is a good investment and worth the extra money.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ckolchak, I think Grant and Mr Wiggles are right on the money here. Go with the Hi-power. I don't believe you'll be disappointed!

Most of us have a different take on what screen works best for their eyes.

I use the Hi-power screen for my 150, and

I'm happy with the results. Of course,

YMMV when using a particular screen with

the pj you're using .

This has to be one of the most subjective

debates on this form, but the consensus

seems to lean towards using the Hi-power

screen with the 150.

I took Grants advice early on with regards to using the hi-power, and have my 150 mounted 12" off the floor. It gives me a superb picture in combination with a CI Scaler, and masking the screen.

As Mr. Wiggles said, "for the extra money, it's worth the investment."

HTH with your decission.

Cheers, VB

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
COntrast is a matter of the dark area (black) in the screen being darker than the total light being obsorbed by the eye. What I am trying to say is I have a 100" dalite matt white screen and total light control in that envirnment the projector is bright enought. Hovever if I put the projector in the living room where there is more ambiont light the picture appears to be not as lively but the blacks are better.

Try projecting agenst a white wall or bord and see if your happy. The high gain screen is awesome but if you have total light control it could be to much gain. I have found the higer the gain the lower the contrast. Now in a room wiht light comming in or far away, or a very large screen the high gain may look better. It's also a matter of taste. Just remember you need to watch it for a little while to let your eyes adjust to the light levels.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Programmer,

I agree with what you are saying that is why I said 20-30 ft-L peak intensity.

Unfortuneately the only way to really like the hi-power is to see it in person. The samples that da-lite gives out don't do it justice

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would say the Hipower works best as long as the LT150 is floor mounted and you usually watch from a head on angle. If thats the case with you, the hi-power looks stunning and can even enable some daytime usage.

If you ceiling mount or watch off angle, get the CinemaVision 1.3g or Video Spectra 1.5g material. I've seen the LT150 on both and its still exceptional. Better than a matte white IMO.

-Dave

·
Registered
813 Posts
I;m in the process of buying a screen now. My 150 will be ceiling mounted. I did a search but it turned up 300000 threads and I couldnt dig enough to find any info.

What do you guys think is good for a ceiling mount? I was thinking the 1.5 spectra but may just go awith a matte white screen.

Chris

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mane3215 brings up a great point. There's way too many threads about the LT150. Doing a search on "LT150" and "screen" would probably turn up a day's worth of reading. tlaStrange has a good FAQ on his site, but I think someone needs to start putting together the ultimate FAQ for this projector.

Scott

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

i realize there have been quite a few threads about this topic. but i was trying to get a feel for how many of the people who may have changed screens felt.

if i'm unsure about this combo, its because i have

1) total light control.

room can be completely blocked out in mid day

2) all viewing is off axis

not sure the exact degree, but the pj is elevated and occupies the center aisle. the primary chairs are fanned out about two feet away from the pj on each side

3) looking at TLStanges web page and the photos documenting his screen evaluation, the hi-power stands out quite a bit. So much so that, to me, it looks almost radioactive in plain daylight. it was the hot whites i was really wondering about.

i might just end up making another DIY and painting it with some kid of glossy acrylic.

there were also some interesting satiny fabrics i saw at Joanns that may mate well.

when i can actually physically construct something, i like to.

to me thats part of the hobby i enjoy the most. just simply buying a screen doesn't seem like much fun.

Unless of course thats the only way to get the optimum image.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The highpower screen is a wonderful screen. I use it with my D-ILA projector and just love it.

My projector is top mounted in the rear of the theater giving about a 10-20 degree angle. Projected images are stunning and extremely bright - I do have total light control with a black wall behind the screen and also the ceiling. My screen wall was initially painted white - there is no comparison when I remove the screen. I couldn't go back.

Given that the Highpower screen is retroreflective (light returns down the path it took from the source), most ambient light is rejected (unless it is coming from directly behind you). This does allow you to have lights on and not sacrifice your image the same way that typical screens do. This is what makes the screen look so strange when you see it in daylight - with light reflecting back to the source, it does look radioactive or kind of strange. However, the second you crank up the projector, you will love it.

Brian

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Hey guys, I do work you know :D

Actually I'm a GI doctor and I surf the board between patients and scopes. I have a T1 line at office and at endoscopy suite so it's FAAAAAST. I'm also a computer geek so I type pretty fast (60 WPM with 1% error rate). So if anyone has GI problems let me know :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
OK Huey, so enough of the Hi-Power vs Grayhawk discussion. What I really want to know is, what works better mated with the LT150: Dextran or Albumin?

Scott

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.