AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around to try and determine if any of the new Matterhorn DLP projectors have a sealed optical path, but I can't seem to find any info one way or the other. Does anyone have any info on this for the InFocus 5700, Sharp DT-300, Sharp Z200, Studio Experience 30HD, BenQ PE7800, SIM2 Domino 20, or any other Matterhorn projectors that you know about? Thanks!

Brad

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Technically, ALL DLP projectors are not completely sealed. The color wheel and lamp area are exposed. The lens assembly may be sealed, but dust can still get into the lens area (most common) or the color wheel. The light still has to travel thru the color wheel and into the lens area. All the PJs have fans which try to cool down the lamp area, which means airflow and dust loves to collect near an airflow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As an example, I though the NEC HT1000, LT240 and LT260 had sealed optics. Is that not the case? Is it just NEC marketing speak? Since those three (at least according to NEC) have the feature, I thought some of the new Matterhorn projectors might. Perhaps I misunderstood what NEC meant.

Brad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Projectiondesign Action! Model Zero Five (Matterhorn) has sealed optical architecture and filter free design.

I demoed this unit with Action! Model One (HD2+) in Finland for a week ago. Both killer projectors. Compared to ScreenPlay 5700, Action! 0.5 was a winner with better contrast.

T.Clavurion

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The terminology for this can be misleading. Some talk about "sealed optics". Every projector has sealed optics. If it is described as "sealed optical architecture", what part of the optical architecture is sealed? When the "entire optical path is sealed", there seems to be less room for equivocation. As far as I know, only Sim2 (aka Seleco) offers a Matterhorn-based unit (Domino 20) wherein the entire light path is sealed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.