AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } I just bought an MX132 and a MC58.
I have the MX132 coupled with a MC58. I have the MC58 running in bridge mode for a HT setup.
I have the stereo phone plug plugged in from the A power control out on the MX132 to the power control in on the MC58. The power switch on the back of the MC58 is set to remote and the power switch on the front is set to on.
The problem I am having is that once the power cord is plugged into the MC58 it powers up. The MC58 will not power off regardless of how I set the power switch on the front and back. The only way I can power the MC58 down is to unplug it.
Am I missing something or is it a malfunction? If it is a malfunction, what might I be able to do to trouble shoot it and fix it. It looks like to me that the most of the McIntosh is easy fixes with socketed I C's and modular design.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } I just bought an MX132 and a MC58.
I have the MX132 coupled with a MC58. I have the MC58 running in bridge mode for a HT setup.
I have the stereo phone plug plugged in from the A power control out on the MX132 to the power control in on the MC58. The power switch on the back of the MC58 is set to remote and the power switch on the front is set to on.
The problem I am having is that once the power cord is plugged into the MC58 it powers up. The MC58 will not power off regardless of how I set the power switch on the front and back. The only way I can power the MC58 down is to unplug it.
Am I missing something or is it a malfunction? If it is a malfunction, what might I be able to do to trouble shoot it and fix it. It looks like to me that the most of the McIntosh is easy fixes with socketed I C's and modular design.
Can anyone help?
Did you try shutting down the MX132? That's usually how these work- you turn on the preamp and that controls the power for the power amp.

Do you have the manuals? Read them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
highfigh, thank you for the feed back. I do have the manual. I figured out that there is a TV-8 rated 48 VDC relay (K1) on the the back side of the front PCB just above the front power switch that has gone bad. I managed to get the relay to reset so I can now turn the amp on and off manually but the power control from the AV controller still will not work. I can live with tuning the amp on manually until I get a replacement relay.
I did measure 5.0 volts DC from the power control out on the AV controller in on position and 0. volts in power off position just to verify that the AV controller power control is working correctly.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
highfigh, thank you for the feed back. I do have the manual. I figured out that there is a TV-8 rated 48 VDC relay (K1) on the the back side of the front PCB just above the front power switch that has gone bad. I managed to get the relay to reset so I can now turn the amp on and off manually but the power control from the AV controller still will not work. I can live with tuning the amp on manually until I get a replacement relay.
I did measure 5.0 volts DC from the power control out on the AV controller in on position and 0. volts in power off position just to verify that the AV controller power control is working correctly.
Thanks again.
Is the 48VDC rating for the relay's coil? That would seem to be the wrong part.

What is the voltage from the AV controller, on the tip when the plug isn't inserted in the amp?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The voltage measured at the tip is 5VDC.
But there are only two relays.

DRIVER PCB, K1 RELAY 24VDC 5A 277VAC PN 08705700.
and
CAPACITOR PCB, K1, RELAY 48VDC, 08704900

The relay that I referred to is the CAPACITOR PCB, K1, RELAY 48VDC, 08704900.
The device markings on the side say "Aromat JC1a-DC48V-TV.
Is that the right relay? That is the relay I managed to reset by tapping it.
This is the relay that is located just above the front power switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hijack an old thread but...

I need this same part for my MC58, not getting any help on the other board.

It seems JC1a-DC48V-TV is obsolete and I haven't been able to find one. Can anyone tell me if there's a direct replacement for this relay? Should I be going another route such as flying leads or?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.