AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any ideas as to when one of these boxes will come out? If it's in a month, I can wait. But if it's in 4 months, forget it! HTPC time.

I've tried to be patient, but it's now ridiculous ; I have a stack of 200 h.264 DVDs that can't be viewed on my current PC just collecting dust. Enough is enough... It's decision time.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratMangler /forum/post/0

Any ideas as to when one of these boxes will come out? If it's in a month, I can wait. But if it's in 4 months, forget it! HTPC time.

I've tried to be patient, but it's now ridiculous ; I have a stack of 200 h.264 DVDs that can't be viewed on my current PC just collecting dust. Enough is enough... It's decision time.

while you may get them to play OK, getting reliable h.264 playback on a PC also has its challenges. just do a quick search on the HTPC forum and you will see many there are also looking for a hardware decoding option. like others have said, there will be a few h.264 media player options available in a couple of months but I'm not expecting it to be perfect.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratMangler /forum/post/0

I'd probably move on from these players if that is a requirement. Most of these devices are based off of Sigma chips. If you read posts from Chuna, he seems to be very knowledgeable. He says that the first generation chip (8622) isn't really up to the task of processing H.264, and that the second generation Sigma 8634 is going to be a better bet. But it doesn't sound like 8634-based products will be coming out this year.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9450040

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.