AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the wdtv live and patriot box office and both do not support blu ray menu play back from a bdmv folder.I haven't read anything where any player supports for blu ray playback with menu.Is there any player out there to play full blu ray rips flawlessly with the menus?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dune HD Smart B1/D1/H1 will play menu's from the BDMV folder. You can either stream them or play them from a hard disk fitted to the Dune.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any other choices? $320 is a lot to spend for what i want to do.However it does say it does high quality up scaling which can make it worth it.Also what is the best version the B1,D1 or H1?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the Popcorn Hour A200/A300 can also do the same as the Dune.

You can play physical discs with the B1, the D1 has a display on the front and the H1 has a hard disk fitted inside. They are the same player apart from those differences.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reading posts on popcorn a200 and a300 having playback issues and dune not having a problem it's the only safe choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, it's a solid choice if you buy one. I've got a D1 and it's excellent at streaming full blu-ray's using smb shares, either as an iso or folder structure. Firmware updates are also pretty reliable too.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
How about ISO Bluray playback?

All my early Bluray Rips are in ISO. Wasn't until a few months ago I moved over to ripping them to MKV's.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Netgear NeoTV 550 is also a solid playback device for blu ray iso and bdmv folder structure with MENUS.. It has other issues not related to that but for the current street price of $80 you really can't complain...

Disclosure...I buy and try media players all the time. Have had about 16 this year....The Dune is by far the single most reliable followed by the a200 and c200 series from popcorn hour. the newer a300 has some work to do on it..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing that bothers me about getting the dune hd is that im read a review that it came out in jan 2011 with a mrsp of $256.I can only find it for $320 now.Doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackjack22  /t/1420300/any-media-player-yet-that-supports-blu-ray-menu-playback#post_22219879

I have the wdtv live and patriot box office and both do not support blu ray menu play back from a bdmv folder.I haven't read anything where any player supports for blu ray playback with menu.Is there any player out there to play full blu ray rips flawlessly with the menus?

RT1185 based boxes (e.g. Pivos AIOS $75 after $20 MIR at most retailers) supports non-java menus for both ISO and BDMV (pre BD 2.0).

RT1186 boxes is claimed to support Java Menus too (but haven't personally verified that).

There will be sure more capable option as you raise the budget (though I would say $250 should be the where the bar is set as at that point you can build a capable net-top).

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Do not buy a 1185 base unit. It only support java 1.0 BD menus, and it will not support any of the new java 2.0, which is pretty much every new movie nowaday. If you do not want to spend too much money on a media player with Full BD menu, I would recommend the Netgear NeoTV550. I believe the Micca EP600 G2 and EP950 supports full BD Menus.

·
Banned
930 Posts
If you want the absolute BEST playback for bdmv folders AND ISO files via attached USB, get an oppo 93 with the older firmware. It also plays back 3D blu ray discs FLAWLESSLY, There is no equal. Kicker is that it has to be attached to usb...and not cheap..

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski  /t/1420300/any-media-player-yet-that-supports-blu-ray-menu-playback/0_100#post_22219979

How about ISO Bluray playback?

All my early Bluray Rips are in ISO. Wasn't until a few months ago I moved over to ripping them to MKV's.

Dune HD Smart B1/D1/H1 plays menus from blu-ray isos as well. From BDMV folders you get the choice between BD-lite or full playback with menus. BD-lite is not available for isos.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondmm  /t/1420300/any-media-player-yet-that-supports-blu-ray-menu-playback#post_22222739

Dune HD Smart B1/D1/H1 plays menus from blu-ray isos as well. From BDMV folders you get the choice between BD-lite or full playback with menus. BD-lite is not available for isos.

What are you talking about that bd-lite doesnt work from ISO?

You are very incorrect. I have all my movis as bd iso and use bd lite daily.

Its nice because with bd-lite you can zoom the image if you are worried about burn in on the little guys 2.35:1 movie viewing.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman  /t/1420300/any-media-player-yet-that-supports-blu-ray-menu-playback/0_100#post_22231523

What are you talking about that bd-lite doesnt work from ISO?

You are very incorrect. I have all my movis as bd iso and use bd lite daily.

Its nice because with bd-lite you can zoom the image if you are worried about burn in on the little guys 2.35:1 movie viewing.

That's weird. Here's how my Dune behaves:

As you can see, here are two BD folders and one BD iso image

If I hit Pop-up menu on the image, I get this menu:

On a Blu-ray folder, I get this menu:

I've got a HD Base 3, with the latest beta firmware.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oh. Hang on...

If I change the option in Setup > Miscellaneous > File Browser to "Play (lite)" or "Ask user", it applies to both folders and images. So, it's just the pop-up menu in the file browser that's broken for images.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That makes sense. I play all mine thru my movies and only get a popup thats asks for play or play bd lite

Jon

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
^^^

Can't say for sure about the Base 3, but if I hit "play" on an ISO it plays like a disc. If I hit "enter" it offers the drop down which includes "play" and "play lite". And yes that behavior is set up in options.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts