AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to stream data from the pc to the streamer but I need it to be LIVE streaming from the pc. Is this possible? It also has to support 802.11n

Also I need the streamer to play this content by default when the tv is turned on.

I am looking at the Xtremer and the Mvix Ultio, can they do this? if not, can any other streamer do this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do have the similar question! Is there any streamer that can take webcam/digial videocam as input to stream on a network?

·
Registered
7,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18185769

I want to stream data from the pc to the streamer but I need it to be LIVE streaming from the pc.

By live streaming I assume you mean live broadcast TV? If so, the Sage HD Theater can do this if you have Sage server running on the PC (and a tuner.)

-Suntan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18186606

By live streaming I assume you mean live broadcast TV? If so, the Sage HD Theater can do this if you have Sage server running on the PC (and a tuner.)

-Suntan

Yes that looks good. would it be able to play the TV by default when you turn off the TV?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18186776

Yes that looks good. would it be able to play the TV by default when you turn off the TV?

What do you mean if you turn the tv off? The SageTV HD200 feeds off of a tv tuner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok it looks like my cable provider will require the use of a cablecard so I guess my only choice is windows media center :/...unless something else server side can do cablecard support.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18195080

Ok it looks like my cable provider will require the use of a cablecard so I guess my only choice is windows media center :/...unless something else server side can do cablecard support.

Do you know if you can get the basic channels? For instance, I can get all the basic channels (ABC, NBC, etc...) via TV Tuner, which for me is all I really care about. If I wanted the premium channels then a cable card would be needed.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18195080

...unless something else server side can do cablecard support.

Sage (and other dvr programs) supports the HDPVR 1212. Basically you capture the output from your cable box in 1080i. As far as the cable co is concerned, you are just watching TV off of a regular box, but the computer is still DVRing it at full 1080i.

It is the only other option to cablecard right now (well there is also the old R5000 mod, but I don't know if that is even applicable anymore.)

-Suntan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18196214

Sage (and other dvr programs) supports the HDPVR 1212. Basically you capture the output from your cable box in 1080i. As far as the cable co is concerned, you are just watching TV off of a regular box, but the computer is still DVRing it at full 1080i.

It is the only other option to cablecard right now (well there is also the old R5000 mod, but I don't know if that is even applicable anymore.)

-Suntan

Yeh but the box is limited amount of tuners and I will end up having to get multiple boxes. I saw there is a hack to get SageTV working with cable card but that hack can stop working any time..

That said I hear WMC can use DLNA instead of the WMC Extender...does this use the wmc interface or the media players interface? and what is a good dlna media player?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18216358

Yeh but the box is limited amount of tuners and I will end up having to get multiple boxes. I saw there is a hack to get SageTV working with cable card but that hack can stop working any time..

That said I hear WMC can use DLNA instead of the WMC Extender...does this use the wmc interface or the media players interface? and what is a good dlna media player?

The only player that will give you the WMC interface is the Xbox360. To confirm, you want to actually watch live tv with the extender?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/18216501

The only player that will give you the WMC interface is the Xbox360. To confirm, you want to actually watch live tv with the extender?

I plan to have a pc that reads cablecard and distribute the connection via 802.11n 4x4 mimo to media players/extenders that will mostly be used for live tv.

but from what i gather wmc supports dnla as well as extenders which cost more then most media players while having less features. Which is why I am interested in dnla media players and whether they can make full use of wmc features. it doesnt matter to me if interface is different as long as it works.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18218262

I plan to have a pc that reads cablecard and distribute the connection via 802.11n 4x4 mimo to media players/extenders that will mostly be used for live tv.

but from what i gather wmc supports dnla as well as extenders which cost more then most media players while having less features. Which is why I am interested in dnla media players and whether they can make full use of wmc features. it doesnt matter to me if interface is different as long as it works.

I think you lost me somewhere though, are looking to play back live tv from your WMC/Cablecard setup with the dlna media players? You can only do this with WMC + Xbox360 unless you go the SageTV route (although as you mentioned the Cablecard support is somewhat of a hack).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/18218297

I think you lost me somewhere though, are looking to play back live tv from your WMC/Cablecard setup with the dlna media players? You can only do this with WMC + Xbox360 unless you go the SageTV route (although as you mentioned the Cablecard support is somewhat of a hack).

Yes I am trying to playback live TV from WMC/cablecard.

From my understanding the setup involves a windows media extender such as an xbox360 but there are others from d-link,linksys, mediagate, samsung and etc. (called windows media extenders)

But from what I am reading around using DLNA/PlayTo you can make the PS3 and WMC work together. So if a media player has DLNA/PlayTo it will work with WMC?

Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18220053

Yes I am trying to playback live TV from WMC/cablecard.

From my understanding the setup involves a windows media extender such as an xbox360 but there are others from d-link,linksys, mediagate, samsung and etc. (called windows media extenders)

But from what I am reading around using DLNA/PlayTo you can make the PS3 and WMC work together. So if a media player has DLNA/PlayTo it will work with WMC?

Am I mistaken?

There are very few windows media centers out there anymore, with the Xbox360 being the only one still produced to my knowledge. My point is just because an extender is DLNA does not mean you will be able to get live tv through WMC. The only way right now is that extender has to be able to run WMC on it in extender mode, which is what the Xbox360 can do. Extenders like the PS3 cannot do this. If there are discontinued windows media center extenders out there then yes you should be able to view live tv as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/18220392

There are very few windows media centers out there anymore, with the Xbox360 being the only one still produced to my knowledge. My point is just because an extender is DLNA does not mean you will be able to get live tv through WMC. The only way right now is that extender has to be able to run WMC on it in extender mode, which is what the Xbox360 can do. Extenders like the PS3 cannot do this. If there are discontinued windows media center extenders out there then yes you should be able to view live tv as well

I would not mind using the xbox360 as an extender if not the fail rate of them being so darn high.

What about this option, Is there any server that integrates with wmc similar to that SageTV hack but officially supported by a company and then has media players that support it?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18224074

I would not mind using the xbox360 as an extender if not the fail rate of them being so darn high.

What about this option, Is there any server that integrates with wmc similar to that SageTV hack but officially supported by a company and then has media players that support it?

SageTV is the only one that really has a server/client type setup.

Are the newer Xbox360's still prone to failure, I thought that had to do with the chip used early on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/18224093

SageTV is the only one that really has a server/client type setup.

Are the newer Xbox360's still prone to failure, I thought that had to do with the chip used early on?

They improved yes, but the fail rate is still not at what I would like. What about the PlayOn server with PlayIt plugin..will that work?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniten /forum/post/18224123

They improved yes, but the fail rate is still not at what I would like. What about the PlayOn server with PlayIt plugin..will that work?

PlayOn does not do live tv. You can get hulu through there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts