AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there has been anything announced, shown, rumored etc...

·
Registered
859 Posts
No... really no.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Windows 7 seems quite good (early reaction seems to agree from the leaked beta users)

Halo Wars demo early Feb

Xbox Live Primetime launched in spring (we already knew that)

Kudo is a sort of a programming 101 game with visual queues. Make your games and share them with others. I'm not into making levels and games so I don't care.

It was pretty plain for the gaming side of things. CES generally is. GDC and E3 will be the gaming centric.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Im using Windows7 now.. and have been for the past month. No complaints. Its exactly the same as Vista just feels lighter and less bogged down. Issues I had with Vista I dont have on 7 (like adjusting network settings, videoplay back with some files or programs crashing).

Best part was the install. Took about 1 hour, including the format of 160gig drive. Barely prompted me for anything. Every driver for my laptop was installed and worked out-the-box with no additional driver installs needed. Even my built in webcam & wireless.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/15494983

Im using Windows7 now.. and have been for the past month. No complaints. Its exactly the same as Vista just feels lighter and less bogged down. Issues I had with Vista I dont have on 7 (like adjusting network settings, videoplay back with some files or programs crashing).

Best part was the install. Took about 1 hour, including the format of 160gig drive. Barely prompted me for anything. Every driver for my laptop was installed and worked out-the-box with no additional driver installs needed. Even my built in webcam & wireless.

if it wasn't for an issue with my sata RAID setup(a BIOS issue not vista) vista would have been up and running on my comp in 30 minutes. I have no qualms with vista but I'm likely upgrading to windows 7 as soon as it comes out.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/15495266

if it wasn't for an issue with my sata RAID setup(a BIOS issue not vista) vista would have been up and running on my comp in 30 minutes. I have no qualms with vista but I'm likely upgrading to windows 7 as soon as it comes out.

win 7 is amazing... public beta tomorrow (possibly after midnight PST tonight) for the first 2.5million people.... install is valid till august!

i'm an IT pro, and a technet subscriber, so i've had access for a while... the current build is pretty much RTM after they remove the debugging code... so what you see is what you'll get at final release late this year.... windows 7 really is amazing.... i hated vista up until about 6 months ago, after SP1 and most of the bugs were worked out it started to grow on me, but man, even in the early stages of the build, windows 7 has just been phenominal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 /forum/post/15493461

It was pretty plain for the gaming side of things. CES generally is. GDC and E3 will be the gaming centric.

you mean PAX, right?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I haven't had a lot of problems with Vista, and it does a lot of good things in our company (as far as the network and security is concerned), but I am looking forward to Windows 7. I've heard good things, but have yet to get my hands on it.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
PLEASE START READING FROM THE BOTTOM

10:49 PM
JG Mason said:

And we are out. Thanks for spending some time with us.

10:49 PMJG Mason said:

Ballmer closing now, “despite the economy”...rah rah.

10:48 PMJG Mason said:

Before closing, some R&D peeks. A digital notebook tablet, pulling info from the cloud. Now, a surface table which is shown to be great for study groups. The table recognizing a solid object (brain model) with annotations.
Click for a larger image. Flexible active display could become the surface of the future. nice!

10:41 PMJG Mason said:

Ballmer is back. Says key trends are enabling transformation: Moore’s law, screens and displays are everywhere, pc, phone, TVs, internet will become a single platform.

10:38 PMJG Mason said:

Now, an actual 12 year old girl takes the stage to guide us through Kodu, a game creator that teaches kids to program. A neat little game that allows kids to create things to their vision.
Click for a larger image.

10:33 PMJG Mason said:

Xbox 60 million music downloads through Rockband, Guitar Hero and Lips. Robbie says that’s 80% of all downloads across all console platforms.

10:31 PMJG Mason said:

Windows Mobile total access? He said this new application is coming soon. Allows you to update your queue, nice.

10:30 PMJG Mason said:

Primetime is coming spring 2009. Robbie is having controller issues, haha. Showing Netflix compatibiliy. Doug thinks it looks like CoverFlow…

10:28 PMJG Mason said:

On to 2009, Halo Wars goes teen rated, Feb 28 release and a demo availble Feb 5. Halo 3 ODST also coming this year.
Click for a larger image. Xbox live will intro Primetime. Social events, for example 1 vs 100 game show, all live you can play against/with others in your social network. neat idea. Oh look, Bill Gates is in the game:

10:22 PMJG Mason said:

Now Robbie Bach is talking New Sync coming soon with Tellme integrated in. Zune doing well, 2 million on Zune Social. Subscriptions are still the way to go. Now going to TV. 10 million Mediarcenter users. Mediaroom grew 250%. Interactive applications merging web experience with TV experience. Xbox had best holiday season and best year overall. 28 million consoles out there around the world. Xbox live has 17 million members, 70% growth.

10:13 PMJG Mason said:

Showing the “I’am a PC” commercial then Tripod takes the stage, apparently at 3 piece acoustic group. Maybe I need to get out more as I’ve never heard of them…

10:11 PMJG Mason said:

Windows Messenger changes user created tiles that match the emoticon you send.

10:10 PMJG Mason said:

Windows Live is becoming a clearinghouse of social networks. Bringing them all together in one place. Hotmail new feature coming soon: Quickadd, a box that pops up on the right that allows you to search for data and quickly insert data into an email.

10:08 PMJG Mason said:

Windows Live brings your web life together. Mail, What’s new in your network, Silverlight enhanced slideshow that automatically changes backgrounds to suit the image. Sweet.

10:04 PMJG Mason said:

Treo Pro being demo’d with new IE with FLASH!!!!!!! take that Apple.

10:03 PMJG Mason said:

Showing off simply networking, play to feature sends music to any connected network device. Called Homegroup. Now showing off touch on 7. Surface Globe being showed using multi-touch on an HP, different gesture tilts the view quite impressively. The guy behind me says, “ooh”.

10:01 PMJG Mason said:

Jumplists is kind of neat. By program, you can see common tasks and recent docs or mail or sheets or, well you get the idea.

09:59 PMJG Mason said:

Demo time with Charlotte. Windows 7 beta. Move between open windows is much simpler via a preview. Neat peak through to desktop by hovering over the tray icons. Really??? this is the show pony? Easy access to the desktop?

09:57 PMJG Mason said:

Windows Mobile. Says he is happy with momentum. More choices, 20 million Windows phones in last 12 months. -take that apple. Teaming with Verizon for Live Search. Changing how Windows deals with us and us it.

09:55 PMJG Mason said:

A partnership with Facebook, connect instantly and automatically published to your Windows Live network if you so desire. Dell is pre installing Windows Live essentials on every pc they sell.

09:53 PMJG Mason said:

Adam scoffs at Ballmers assertion that Windows Live has become essential.

09:53 PMJG Mason said:

On Friday, the Beta will be available online to everyone.

09:52 PMJG Mason said:

Windows 7. On track to deliver the best version of Windows ever. Tasks faster. “should boot more quickly and have fewer alerts.“ Touch built into Windows 7. Beta released now.

09:51 PMJG Mason said:

Lets get to the future. 3 things made Windows successful: 1. Best applications. 2. More choice in hardware. 3. Windows experience helped make it all work together.

09:48 PMJG Mason said:

We are shown a video of a laptops from Toshiba, Samsung, Acer, Sony,. This video was called OEM Sizzle video internally.

09:46 PMJG Mason said:

He is super excited at hardware and software coming out. Phones!!!

09:45 PMJG Mason said:

In the future, instant connections between any of those screens. The last mile for consumers. PC, phone, and TV plus the cloud, makes life seamless. Windows is the linchpin. Windows will tie it all together through the cloud.

09:43 PMJG Mason said:

Smartphones will make up 50% of all phones in just a couple of years time. TVs haven’t changed much. Boundaries are dissolving between computer and TV.

09:42 PMJG Mason said:

Opportunities Steve sees: pc, phone, tv. The three screens we see every day. Convergence of three screens into one ecosystem.

09:40 PMJG Mason said:

Times suggest scaling back. He believes companies and industries who innovate will position themselves far better than companies that pull back. MS is put in $8 billion last year alone and will continue to do so.

09:37 PMJG Mason said:

opening with jokes, Message from Jerry Yang, “why do you keep ignoring my friend request on facebook?“ to much laughter.

09:36 PMJG Mason said:

Dressed in a smart burgundy sweater, nay wine he touts how much Bill Gates is doing in good works around the globe.

09:36 PMAdam Berger said:

Looking quite spiffy in a shirt AND sweater - must be to hide the sweat.

09:35 PMJG Mason said:

We are being shown a high energy video about all the awesome things you can do with Microsoft products. From mobile to entertainment. And Ballmer takes the stage, “So this is CES.“

09:35 PMAdam Berger said:

That are making Vista look so great. And does everyone have touchscreen computers, becuase that’s all they are showing.

09:32 PMJG Mason said:

Says Steve B got a perfect 800 in math on the SATs.

09:31 PMJG Mason said:

Gary Shapiro is coming on stage who introduce Ballmer after he touts just how great CES really is. Says he is ready for optimism.

09:28 PMJG Mason said:

Some mad freestyle beat boxing going on

09:27 PMJG Mason said:

09:20 PMJG Mason said:

This year’s Microsoft keynote, while still in a massive space, is in a much smaller room than Gate’s address last year.

08:57 PMDoug Berger said:

We’re here at the Steve Ballmer keynote getting ready for things to begin. Stay tuned for what may turn out to be a great keynote—and may turn out to be nothing new.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/15495321

win 7 is amazing... windows 7 has just been phenominal.

Right there, you just raised my expectations to high. Now it has no chance to amaze me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts