AVS Forum banner

Any MoCA experts out there?

302 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SMHarman 
#1 ·
So we bought a new home, but after moving in noticed a bit of an issue. Because of the design/layout of the home running CAT5 is either impossible or expensive so I'm left with having to do MoCA (there's Coax in every room). By default, MoCA speeds (MoCA 1.1) aren't really all that great for the application I'm using it for (1080P high profile content streaming from my home theater and large file backups/copying) however I got a lead on some MoCA 2.0 devices that I'm purchasing...

Now I know that whatever the lowest speed of MoCA version is on a particular channel then all devices on that same channel will default to that speed and I would need to change the channels on my Actionet router and STB's so that it's not using the same channel as my MoCA 2.0 bridge. However I'm wondering if there there also has to be a direct line from the ONT as well or can I split it?

So for example my router and all networking stuff is in my office however the devices I need to get networked in are located in my home theater. So I was going to use a Coax splitter from the Coax drop in my office and run a line to the MoCA 2.0 bridge in the office and the other line to the MoCA 1.1 bridge (actionet provided by Verizon) in the office. The 2.0 bridge will service my HTPC in the theater area and the 1.1 bridge will service my STB's around the house. I'm going to configure the 2.0 devices on a different channel than the 1.1 devices. Now in my head this should work however are there any aspects of this I'm missing that might prevent this from working?

The real heart of the question is, can I go from the wall CoAX drop to a splitter and then out to 2 different MoCA devices with each using a different channel? Or since it's coming from the same wall outlet will it still default to the lowest denominator?

Thanks in advanced for the guidance!

See less See more
#2 ·

What are you putting at each end of this MoCA connection?

HTPC in the Theater, what is at the TVs you want to distribute this to or is this connecting to smart TV DLNA?

Could a robust wireless N network achieve the same objective.  Putting some strategically placed Ubiquiti WAPs into the network and connecting to the TVs with those?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.