AVS Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1765 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Gregory. I think that answers my question--the LG can serve as a client so I can access my music library through my network and have the Denon distribute the audio. Then again I may decide to leave things as they are until I get the Oppo, in which case I'll simply be swapping my current Vizio out with the LG and reconnecting the one HDMI from the Denon to the LG, in which case (fingers crossed) my current chain will remain the same except of course for a superior and larger screen!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Yeah, but the tv has to be on. I've never used mine for that but I'd guess it will present a static image which could cause image retention.

I have > 22,000 songs and navigating it can be a pain. My receiver has an app that accesses the dlna server. It's quite fast on an ipad, slower on my android devices.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hmm what if I used Plex and set up a screensaver/slide show that would kick in after x seconds/minutes? I suppose this would all be easier if my receiver was network capable, but I'm happy with the Denon. As it stands, I have to be able to employ the LG as an interface if I do decide to dispose of the PS3 and ATV. Eventually the Oppo will resolve this but don't you guys use your TV to scroll your media libraries? I always have.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
After about 6 months with a 6900 (3D 6650), I'd agree you should hardwire your network connection, but also retain your other network alternatives until you've had some time with the system. My bug is that there's no way to put internal (e.g. network) connections on hold while you view the tuner or an external source. If you're watching Netflix and want to check out the local news, you lose your Netflix session. The fix is easy; log into Netflix using an external device, so you can switch among devices without closing any of their sessions.

That said, your talking music, but the concept applies. I can see why you'd want to view the libraries on the big screen...

HAve fun,
Frank

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
don't you guys use your TV to scroll your media libraries? I always have.
It depends on how much music you have and how terrible the ui is.

I find my ipad app much better, granted the receiver is 4 years old and it's ui is terrible.

The difference with plasma is they run hotter and can be subject to image retention if you can't do what you were suggesting.

I will say that the TV has no problem seeing plex and playing movies without stutter. All without a plex client.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good point thanks! I'm now thinking that I will keep the ATV as that external device as it provides an excellent means of accessing my media and also provides a slideshow to forestall any possibility of screen burn. When I get the Oppo I can fiddle around and determine if it will serve all the needs.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new tv and I've noticed while watching a film with black bars, the bars flicker from black to grey every few seconds. Also when watching sport say football or UFC the whole screen will flicker from a slighty darker image to a lighter one every few seconds which is incredibly annoying.

It does this on a variety of input devices...virgin TiVo box, blu ray player, usb stick.

It's an lg plasma 50PB660V 50"

Does it sound like a fault or a characteristic of the tv?

Many thanks

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Just bought a new tv and I've noticed while watching a film with black bars, the bars flicker from black to grey every few seconds. Also when watching sport say football or UFC the whole screen will flicker from a slighty darker image to a lighter one every few seconds which is incredibly annoying.

It does this on a variety of input devices...virgin TiVo box, blu ray player, usb stick.

It's an lg plasma 50PB660V 50"

Does it sound like a fault or a characteristic of the tv?

Many thanks
It certainly sounds like a defect! :eek:

Reactions: Bait-fish

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are comfortably within your return period give it a few days break in to see if it clears up. If not I'd definitely return for a replacement.

·
Registered
257 Posts
50 6650

After looking at the way I have the stand attached to the rear of the panel, I am concerned that is is not quite right. Does the flat part fit fully flush with the rear of the panel, mine is sticking out a bit more at the top than the bottom I think, although the screws are engaged? Thanks ron

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It was a ***** getting the 6900 stand on properly. At first it was leaning forward a bit. When we moved the tv, I got it tightened better. It's a crummy stand if it is the same.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
ronton3, you do NOT have the stand attached properly.

There are two fingers on the stand that lock into the back of the panel. Once these fingers are seated, the screws have no effect, other than retaining the stand when you pick up the panel. It should be flush.

Of course, the stand is very hard to put on unless you lay the panel on its face. A card table and large piece of thick foam came in handy. Far easier than wall mounting!!!

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dear all,

actually LG informed me that in 2days I`ll be contacted by local service which will agree with me day of visit in my place to check PINK tint issue,
( which I see ONLY on white and light grey - grey images / but only sometimes in movies, and never in ice hockey for instance like other people, however pink tinted it is in LEFT and right parts of TV, panel uniformity is not perfect in white and grey, in other colours panel is perfectly uniform).

I should have taken care of this issue sooner before ISF calibration which is done on my SET now already.
Now I`m worry if technician will offer some threatment it will affect my ISF calibration sure.

I think there are 3 possible options which he may offer:

1. Y-sustain board change - offered as solution and done to meta22ica240 set already, which didn`t solved anything in his case, so I am not 100% happy to follow, but I cannot be sure with result before trying it on my set, reasons for issue may be different. Question is , can changed board affect ISF calibration ? I think not.

2. Panel voltages readjustments - if they will control voltages and gave them more close to specs I have heard on some Samsung models at least it helped to remove pink tint. This also should not too much affect ISF calibration, or am I wrong? What do you think can it by your experience and knowledge solve PINK tint ?
Maybe it could solve weaker contrast ratio as well pink tint on my panel in same time, but it`s only guessing, not my priority concern.

3. Panel exchage - I think they will offer this as no.1 or no.2 option and will recommend it , but it means Bye Bye my ISF calibration :( which is waste of money and time again... and I really cannot know if they won`t bring less pink tinted but anyhow not 100% OK panel, Panel Lotery situation and also loosing of ISF calibration, I am highly not happy to do it, I cannot complain PINK tint in most of movie scenes , saw it little bit 2-3 times after watching 10movies, just for 1-2 seconds which is funny not so issue. However browsing internet on browser you easy see PINK tinted sides of panel. This PINK tint is more obvious on Warm2 calibrated or as well uncalibrated Cinema mode too , but it is less nearly invisible in Standard mode with more "dingy" whites, which is unrealistically cold colour offer, if technician will try this mode he may force me to believe there is nothing wrong at all with panel too .... I am prepared for that.

ISF calibrated image compared to Cinema mode uncalibrated for instance is MUCH MUCH better, after tasting this balance of ISF calibrated image , it`s for me impossible to go back to factory offered settings, it is fabulous difference.

Firstly I have to wait for technician recommendation and decide, but your help is highly appreciated.
Finally more visible is PINK tint when you keep TV turned ON for at least 10minutes, after full warm up of TV set , but on very first start of TV it is nearly impossible to spot this "problem" better said this "panel weakness".

Thanks a lot for possible Tips
Wish you nice day

MK

·
Registered
257 Posts
I thought as much

ronton3, you do NOT have the stand attached properly.

There are two fingers on the stand that lock into the back of the panel. Once these fingers are seated, the screws have no effect, other than retaining the stand when you pick up the panel. It should be flush.

Of course, the stand is very hard to put on unless you lay the panel on its face. A card table and large piece of thick foam came in handy. Far easier than wall mounting!!!

Have fun,
Frank
Thanks for the confirmation I have a neighbor coming over to help lay it flat and do the adjustment. Just went over 200 hours great picture. ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 6650 arrived! Stand is attached (seemed pretty straightforward maybe I got lucky) I'm off to radio shack for an Ethernet cable and HDMI...I could have sworn I had spares...anyway by the time I get home the set will have been adjusting to the temperature inside for several hours and I'm going to hook her up and power on! Very curious to see what the setup is like...

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I'm off to radio shack for an Ethernet cable and HDMI...I could have sworn I had spares...
NOT the place to buy cables. For local try:

• Home Depot
  • Lowes
  • Walmart
  • Target
Of course one of the best places is Monocable (but they are not local):)

1301 - 1320 of 1765 Posts