AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a DVD player in the next few weeks. They released the info on the plasma's and receivers but not much about DVD players. Last I heard the UK were the only ones getting one.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I don`t know for sure , but they might keep the "59" till HD comes.

If they do , then you won`t see a new "Elite" model until Oct. 06

Just a gutt feeling,

The 59 will get through just about any monitor or tv that you can buy right now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a firmware upgrade to HDMI 1.1 for the 59?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I realy don`t know, BUT , if there is an up-date to the firmware , it`s a chip :( and needs to be brought to a service center.

I don`t have the "59" , but I do have the old DV-09 and a couple of years ago I bought the firmware update for it and had my tech install it.

It made a slight improvment , but not that much.

IMO-- Pioneer should really make it so the user can update via disc.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29
I realy don`t know, BUT , if there is an up-date to the firmware , it`s a chip :( and needs to be brought to a service center.

I don`t have the "59" , but I do have the old DV-09 and a couple of years ago I bought the firmware update for it and had my tech install it.

This is very disapointing.. nothing like buying something brand new and it already need to be brought in for upgrades..

Having a top of the line DVD player with HDMI 1.0 with no replacement for another 12months is unacceptable.

·
23,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29

You're correct. HDMI 1.1 is not a firmware upgrade. Pioneer has no control over that. They don't make HDMI transmitter (or receiver) chips. And, making these chips (or others) field replaceable/upgradeable would dramatically increase the cost and then people would ***** about the price of the players. :) And there still would be no guarantee that future chips would be compatible with existing circuits.

larry

·
23,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose
This is very disapointing.. nothing like buying something brand new and it already need to be brought in for upgrades..

Having a top of the line DVD player with HDMI 1.0 with no replacement for another 12months is unacceptable.
Welcome to the world of consumer electronics. :) Also, the Elite line has been on 2 year release cycles so it's no secret when the next player would be available with new features.

larry

·
Registered
18,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose
I am ready to buy a DVD player in the next few weeks. They released the info on the plasma's and receivers but not much about DVD players. Last I heard the UK were the only ones getting one.
The 79avi is scheduled to be released in October. There currently is no additional info regarding the new player but it WILL be available for the US and it WILL replace the 59avi.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
The 79avi is scheduled to be released in October. There currently is no additional info regarding the new player but it WILL be available for the US and it WILL replace the 59avi.
Where are you getting this info?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.