AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the newer media extenders have great codec support but I haven't found one that has a good CoverArt UI (so younger kids can use it).

I really want an out-of-the-box solution with the following characteristics:

- Coverart UI (preferably 3D)

- Supports streaming files from a NAS

- XVid/DivX, ISO/VOB support

- Parental Controls would be nice but not required

Currently I am using an AppleTV and ripping movies into H.264. Great looking UI, but I would much rather have something similar that will support more codecs. I also dislike having to import everything into iTunes for it to play on the AppleTV.

I know there are a number of PC-based solutions, but I dont have the time or patience to go that route (again).

Does anyone know of a media extender that fits the bill?

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrnel /forum/post/15486339

A lot of the newer media extenders have great codec support but I haven't found one that has a good CoverArt UI (so younger kids can use it).

Currently I am using an AppleTV and ripping movies into H.264. Great looking UI, but I would much rather have something similar that will support more codecs. I also dislike having to import everything into iTunes for it to play on the AppleTV.

I know there are a number of PC-based solutions, but I dont have the time or patience to go that route (again).

Popcorn Hour A-110 with YAMJ.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! I really wanted the functionality of the Popcorn Hour but with a better interface! Thanks for the video! It looks really nice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like YAMJ does not have a dedicated thread and that a bunch of info is intersperssed with the PH A110 owners thread. I have also read a number of threads with people having trouble with it. So I guess I will post a question here since you guys have been so helpful.

Does YAMJ require that a computer "do the work"? That is, is your desktop PC running YAMJ and just sending XML/HTML to the PH? Or is the app actually installed on the PH?

The Wiki on YAMJ seems to indicate that the app runs on your PC. If that is the case then what is the overhead like. AND can the PH still pull movies directly from a NAS without any PC overhead?

[Edit] - Answered some of my own questions already. It looks like your PC generates the HTML/XML files and loads them to the PH. So the PC does the work once then the PH loads the static pages even with the PC off. Very nice. I am all over this. Hello Newegg.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Apple TV with Xbox Media Center installed. Very responsive and I love the UI. It really transforms the Apple TV from a POS to an actual valuable home theatre piece.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:

Keep the Apple TV you have and load Xbox Media Center on it. (There is a specific XBMC just for the Apple TV)

It supports many different codecs and has a great UI.

·
Registered
972 Posts

Quote:

If you can wait until February this may fit the bill:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Ente...s/EVA9150.aspx

I saw a live prototype at CES and according to the Netgear techs, it will support auto cover art pulldown.

What I'd like to know (and I got conflicting answers from multiple Netgear techs) is:
  • Will the 9150 support ISO image playback of Blu Ray discs from a NAS?
  • Is the 9150's 100mbps NIC fast enough to stream 1080p video (plus HD audio) without dropouts from a NAS?
  • Why will the 9150 support DTS HDMA via passthrough but downmix Dolby TrueHD (and downmix to what)?

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts