AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from New Orleans and had the opportunity to listen to some live (way live, actually!!) Jazz. It started me wondering... What's the frequency range for the contrabass. I have an SVS PB12/ISD and I am wondering how much of this instruments' range is produced by the sub and how much by my mains? Mains are Pinnacle Pn8+. Sub is crossed over at 80hz. Receiver is the ubiquitous Pioneer 1014. I turned off my amp (front (L/R)speakers are powered by Adcom GFA 555) and listened to just the sub it seems like very little of the contrabass' FR is in the < 80hz range. Is this right? :confused:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it took a minute to "decode" but I think I got it. looks like around 23Hz. That should be squarely in the sub's region. Womder why si little of it seems to come from the sub as opposed to my mains. Maybe a tweakin is in order??.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Doesn't it depend on what notes are being played? Maybe the musician just didn't play that low? Or maybe the recording you have doesn't reproduce the lowest notes that were played?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You seem to have adequately answered your question, but I thought I would post this just in case anyone was curious about other instruments or voices.

http://psbspeakers.com/Gfx/fChart.gif

Apologies guys. When I made that post there was a chart that showed up in the preview. For some reason it's not coming through now. I'll try to fix it. DUH! :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1
Just got back from New Orleans and had the opportunity to listen to some live (way live, actually!!) Jazz. It started me wondering... What's the frequency range for the contrabass. I have an SVS PB12/ISD and I am wondering how much of this instruments' range is produced by the sub and how much by my mains? Mains are Pinnacle Pn8+. Sub is crossed over at 80hz. Receiver is the ubiquitous Pioneer 1014. I turned off my amp (front (L/R)speakers are powered by Adcom GFA 555) and listened to just the sub it seems like very little of the contrabass' FR is in the
It depends a little on exactly what instrument you're refering to. Contrabass refers to an approximate note range rather than a particular instrument. I'm assuming we're talking about the contrabass of the violin family, an instrument very popular in jazz. Its more commonly called the double bass, or the string bass. The standard form of this instrument decends to about 40 Hz. (Modified versions, such as 5- or 6- string go a little lower, about 30 Hz). The range from 40-80 Hz represents the lowest octave of the instrument. I'm not that familiar with music written for the string bass, but for most instruments, most pieces don't spend a lot of time in the very bottom (or the very top) of the possible range - the middle is what gets used most. So there's probably not a lot of signal below (taking an educated guess) 60 Hz in any particular piece. Add the fact that crossovers aren't a brick wall and you get less than you might expect coming from the sub.

This is all assuming you're actually talking about the double bass/string bass (its pretty standard for jazz quartets). There are other possibilities, and for some you might expect more sub signal. The string octocontrabass, by naming convention, ought to go an octave lower that the string bass. The 23 Hz figure you mentioned seemed to come from the 7/8/9-string bass guitars, right? These are pretty different instruments - think the electric bass in a rock band, with extra strings to extend the low end. (I've never seen acoustic bass guitar with the extra strings - the body would have to be huge for appropriate resonance!)

Anyway, my point is, I wouldn't be too alarmed that you're not getting a whole lot through the sub - unless you have similar problems with test tones of known frequency.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1
Thanks, it took a minute to "decode" but I think I got it. looks like around 23Hz. That should be squarely in the sub's region. Womder why si little of it seems to come from the sub as opposed to my mains. Maybe a tweakin is in order??.
23hz would be a very very custom made 7 or 8 string bass with attachment. A normal string bass is roughtly 42hz or so as the above said.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot guys. I expected a response or two but the apparent wealth of knowledge in this forum never ceases to amaze me. Not only has my query been answered, but I've learned more from the varied responses than I would have had I simply googled contrabass frequencies. I really like the psb page. You (or at least I) never really have an appreciation for the subtleties of instruments or music in general until it's laid out before you.

It also doesn't hurt that my sub ain't broke!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.