AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a few threads comparing single vs dual subs, but nothing comparing single vs duals that are the same total price.
Also nothing specifically on two HSU VTF-2 MK5s vs a single VTF-15H MK2.

If the loss in lower frequencies for a single listening positioned outweighed by something that the dual subs offer? I've also heard that there can be negatives of dual subs, like cancellation in the 70-90 Hz range.

Also, why is it that the VTF-2 MK5 reaches down to 16 Hz with one port open while the larger VTF-3 MK5 HP only goes down to 17 Hz?
Another oddity - when I overlay the VTF-2 MK5's frequency response chart for 1 port open over either the VTF3 or VTF15H in similar setup, the smaller sub seems to have a flatter curve and produces more db at lower frequencies. How can that be? I must be reading the chart incorrectly right?

You can click on the first chart for each subwoofer below in separate browser tabs and then click between the tabs to compare differences:
VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer
VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer
VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer

My room is a concrete floored basement that is L-shaped. Both legs of the L are about 12-13 ft wide and 30 or 24 ft long. Mostly 8 foot ceilings.

Thanks

·
Registered
892 Posts
Frequency response charts do not depict maximum output. So you can't make conclusions on which sub can produce more output based on them. The CEA measurements at the bottom of the screen are better for that.

Dual sub cancelations can be mitigated with careful setting of relative distances/delays. Overall a smoother response can generally be achieved with duals than with a single.

A big advantage to a bigger single is a better upgrade path if you decide to go duals later. A single can work well if you have placement flexibility and just one seat to worry about.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The HSU subs all have similar extension. The difference is how loud they'll play. You need to look at the CEA2010 charts to understand what is going on... The bigger the sub in the VTF lineup, the louder it can play before "tapping out" so to speak. 6dB difference anywhere is like adding a 2nd identical subwoofer...

Twin VTF-2 mk5 subs is roughly equivalent in output to a single VTF-15H mk2.

IMHO, dual subs are the answer, but start with the correct sub to double up on... It's very easy to turn the gain down on "too much" subwoofer. You cannot just "turn up" a subwoofer that's maxed out. For this reason, I'd say buy once and cry once and go dual VTF-3 Mk5 or cry even harder and get a pair of VTF-15H mk2...

I run 2x VTF-15H mk2 and 2x TN1220HO subs in my 2350 cu ft room, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Double checking my math here. Is that FOUR subs in that little space???
Yes. Not 4 wimpy subs either.

The twin TN1220HO subs were sufficient in output for the room. The pair of VTF-15 subs was for additional flattening of the response across all the seats (and more headroom). I also went form 8% THD at 17Hz at my normal listening level to 2% THD at 10Hz with 4 subs at the same master volume...

More is better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Man I would love to hear your system for both music and especially movie! Holy moly.

And my system is running on ... errr....one Hsu vtf2.5 .... (I won’t even mention my cubic space )

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Man I would love to hear your system for both music and especially movie! Holy moly.

And my system is running on ... errr....one Hsu vtf2.5 .... (I won’t even mention my cubic space )
Movies and music are pretty great, that's true. But, I'm well past the point of diminishing returns, and so far down the rabbit hole I don't know which side is up anymore...

I'd implore you to get a 2nd VTF-2 mk5 if you're only running one in a room larger than mine. It'll lower the distortion a lot (and I am in no way saying HSU subs are high distortion, because they most certainly are not), but you'll have to be running that sub hard to produce good SPL in a large room.

Reactions: tinman143

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I've read a few threads comparing single vs dual subs, but nothing comparing single vs duals that are the same total price.
All other things equal, you can get more output from a single ported sub from a particular line than you can from splitting that budget and buying two smaller ported subs from the same line.

But the latter solution will give you better (as in, more consistent) bass across more seats*....whereas typically a single sub can only be positioned and EQ-ed best for a single seat.

If budget is the issue, get the single bigger one, and enjoy it while you are saving up for the second copy of the same model.

*If set up correctly!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am using the baby HSU (yes, only one) in a mostly wide open area. My son upstairs talks about feeling the bass shake the floor. Downstairs, it is on a tile floor on a concrete slab. I can still feel the bass a little and have plenty of volume, especially considering the 5'2" wonder that lets me know when it is too much. Headroom? Audessy set the sub low. I moved it to -6 and have the gain on the sub set at about 11 o'clock. I do have the sub in the front right corner. Watched Midway (again) tonight and the bass was great. I didn't run an SPL meter but probably listened at about our typical 73db.
Some people will pay thousands for 5% better response. Then, pay thousands more for 1% better response. That is great for them and you can do it too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also nothing specifically on two HSU VTF-2 MK5s vs a single VTF-15H MK2.

If the loss in lower frequencies for a single listening positioned outweighed by something that the dual subs offer? I've also heard that there can be negatives of dual subs, like cancellation in the 70-90 Hz range.

Also, why is it that the VTF-2 MK5 reaches down to 16 Hz with one port open while the larger VTF-3 MK5 HP only goes down to 17 Hz?
Another oddity - when I overlay the VTF-2 MK5's frequency response chart for 1 port open over either the VTF3 or VTF15H in similar setup, the smaller sub seems to have a flatter curve and produces more db at lower frequencies. How can that be? I must be reading the chart incorrectly right?

You can click on the first chart for each subwoofer below in separate browser tabs and then click between the tabs to compare differences:
VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer
VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer
VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer

My room is a concrete floored basement that is L-shaped. Both legs of the L are about 12-13 ft wide and 30 or 24 ft long. Mostly 8 foot ceilings.

Thanks
I suggest reading the two articles linked below, if you haven't already. The first deals directly with your question of one vs two subs. The second is a review of the Hsu VTF-2 MK5.

I have the VTF-3 MK5 and love it. I would love to go dual, but budget and space are limited.

The VTF-2 review is written by James Larson, a well-respected voice in the community. You can find him lurking around various forums as shadyj.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts