AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has come up with some nice effective ways to fix the no zoom problem of the projector. I am really pulled between having a 16:9 screen (what I really want) and a 4:3. I want to get the maximum size 16:9 and 2.35:1 screens that I can but when I go to 4:3 if I dont move the projector the image is huge =(. I was thinking if I go to 4:3 I can use masking to get the biggest 16:9 and 2.35:1 that I can and just have the masking removed to get the big 4:3 (as log as its not too big) I haven't setup any tests yet to try this but its one thing that has really been irking me.

Have any of you guys come up with some really effective solution to this? I want a 110" 16:9 screen (filled) but how big would that make the 4:3 screen? I was thinking of putting the lt150 on a rail type slider on the ceiling but I ave a cathedral ceiling and this really isn't worth the trouble as I understand you want to try to stay away from using keystoning?

Thanks..

Chris

·
Registered
846 Posts
In my opinion, it's definitely not worth the trouble. What will you watch in 4:3 that requires megasize? Do you really like Friends that much? Does the idea of a giant Bill O'Reilly head in your viewing room a turn on?

A 16:9 screen, using the middle for 4:3 material, is really the best of both worlds.

--Les

·
Registered
842 Posts
Chris,

How about this. Run your other source to the projector as S-video or the like. Now using your 16:9 screen and 4:3 DMD....

Switch the mode on the projector to Native. This will give you a 4:3 640X480 image. Now if you are not using a panamorph or anyhting like that... your image would be 95"X54" with your idea of 110" 16:9. If you only addressed the native pannel the image would be 4:3 on your screen. The size would be 73 inches diagonal with a width of 59" and a height of 44 inches. So you would have a smaller 4:3 image inside of your 16:9 screen.

I emailed this to you before but I hope I made it clearer this time. Just draw the screens I have described above and it should become clear.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aarow:

FOOTBALL!!!! =), also I want to do some gaming on it as well.

Darian:

Thanks for the reply...that is much clearer now. I wish there was a way to get that screen a little larger though =(. I will give it a try and see what comes of it.

Thanks..

Chris

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ok... this will make it a little bit bigger... Plus it would work if you had a Panamorph.

First off this assumes one of 2 things... you don't have or care about HDTV / you have some way to switch inputs as HD 15

Equipment list...

DVD player with interlaced component outputs

DBS receiver with S-Video output

VHS with composite for cable or VHS

LT 150

iScan PRO

Stick with me for a moment.

Now if you have a 16:9 screen you have to make one of 2 choices for the LT150. Either you use Cinema mode for the aspect ratio or you have a panamorph. One way or the other you have a 16:9 image that will be projected.

Now as for the idea of making 4:3 images appear undistorted on the screen...

You need an iScan Pro.

The Pro included the switch for aspect ratio control. There are 2 settings for displaying 4:3 on a 16:9 screen with either grey bars flanking the image or black bars flanking the image. The image will be the hieght of the 16:9 screen and 4:3 aspect.

When watching anamorphic DVDs, switch the iScan to normal and the image will correctly diaplay on the 16:9 screen.

When watching programming via DSS, Cable, OTA or VHS with a 4:3 aspect ratio... flip the iscan aspect switch all the way down. This will give you a 4:3 image that goes top to bottom of the screen.

If you are doing this with a unmodified LT150 you will need to remove the sync signals from the HD15. This cane be done by attaching breakout cables, or removing pins. THE ISCAN MUST BE SET TO COMPONENT OUTPUT!

If you have a panamorph... Just connect the RGB cable from the iScan to the Lt150 and select RGB from the iscan output switch.

Chris,

In your case with your 110" 16:9 screen you have the 95"X54" image for full mode. Now if you toggle to 4:3 image it would be 72"X54" or a 90" diagonal.

Hows that for your football???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.