AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to bust to learn more about this projector, anyone heard anything, or know anything??

-- Cain

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Cain, All I know is that they will have a prototype at Cedia and expect to be shipping in November. I was told that it would have the 16:9 chip that Sharp is using but would have a built in Faroudja Native Rate Scaler. Of course it would have the six segment color wheel and I was told that they are shooting for about 1000 lumens.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Cain, I'll bet you'll be saying "wow" at the price too! My terminology is more like Yikes!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I have heard that the retail on this unit will be around $14K, but don't hold me to it. That isn't actually that bad a price considering it is a 16:9 unit, with the Faroudja built into it. This will be truly the only completely self contained projector on the market (meaning you wouldn't need any outboard items, such as a scaler or anamorphic lens). I can't wait!

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
That is a bad price IMO when that Faroudja scaler appears in DVD players costing $300 and the Sharp version will retail for @ $4,000 less.

I'm sure the seleco will tweak the color wheel, and I'm glad to have the Faroudja de-interlacer, but is it really reasonable to charge $4000 more?

Now, if what they're/you're talking about is a fullblown native-rate Faroudja scaler built-in and not just the sage chip de-interlacing...then maybe that's not so bad!

is that the case?

-dave

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I believe Jason is talking about a full blown NR in the Seleco, making this a great deal.

FYI, Faroudja deinterlacing is in the cheap dvd players, not Faroudja scaling.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!! Yikes!! Wow !! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Actually, I assumed this projector would be more expensive, than the Sharp z9000 since Seleco projectors are not cheap anyway.

Their current DLP projectors are already a good deal more expensive than other DLP's with similar resolutions.

I agree with Jason this projector is looking good; Im hearing:

16:9

Higher Res

DMD Chip

1,100:1 Contrast

Faroudja Native Rate Scaler

Improved Color wheel (no Rainbows)

Seleco's Outstanding Colors

Seleco's sealed optical system

Very Quiet

Long Bulb Life

Sounds like it could be quite an amazing product, but the proof will be in the viewing.

If anyone hears any more details, please let us know ASAP..

-- Cain

·
Premium Member
24,327 Posts
I don't think it's such a great deal, since you could get the Sharp plus the NR for less total expense.

I'm not saying it's not a better value, since it will almost certainly look better and have beter ease of use.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Does anyone have any idea if they plan to use the same housing as they did with the 200 and 250? I like the color selection that Seleco offers.

Tom

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I think they are using the same housing, but if I remember correctly they said that the color choices will be limited??

(Don't quote me on that one) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea if they plan to use the same housing as they did with the 200 and 250? I like the color selection that Seleco offers.
The color selection is nice, but they don't have enough stock in-hand (at least when I ordered my HT200DM) to give you any color choices, unless you want to wait a long time. I wanted black, and the dealer I bought from (AVS) said all they could get was gray. I was told it would be months, with no definite quote of a delivery date, if I wanted my preferred color. On the other hand, someone else I know was told they could only get black!

So it sounds like the in-hand stock at the US distributor is too small to allow any real choice... at least until they ramp up production and get more units in stock.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Wonder if the increase in native 16x9 digital projectors will get Faroudja's but in gear to deliver 4x3-> 16x9 conversion. I get so tired of hearing how their Native Rate scaler doesn't work with 16x9 digital projectors! If they're really going to have their software built-into this 16x9 Seleco obviously they've got the software (which they already use in their other scalers).

The advantage I could see to having a separate N.R. scaler vs one built in is that you could have one run of video cables from the scaler to the projector and keep the scaler in the closet/whatever with the rest of the video equipment.

-dave

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I just talked with them. They are planning to show the HT300 at CEDIA...

[Rest of message was confusing, so I've edited it out and posted a follow-up (below), which will hopefully clarify things. I really shouldn't post before having morning caffiene http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/redface.gif ].

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kem (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jason:

Assuming this projector really IS[/i]the messiah of one chip dlp's, how about a power buy special? Any takers?

Dr D

[This message has been edited by dr1574 (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Even with a power buy, I'm afraid this thing won't be in my price range. But hey, if it gets there, I'll be in.

-phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.