AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in HTPCs as well, no takers...

I recently tried Vividlogic DTV Recorder software with an ieee1394 connection between my laptop and my HDTV (internal OTA receiver). I never could get a signal to record on the laptop. The laptop recognizes an HDTV tuner connection and the TV recognizes an ieee1394 device on the DTVLink but no information was recorded. TV is an RCA HD52W140 (supposed one that is supported by Vividlogic software).

Does anyone know if there is another piece of software that does this same type function via firewire connection other than Vividlogic DTV Recorder (record HD OTA content between a PC and an internal HDTV tuner via firewire)?

I searched here and over on the HDTV Recorders forum. Couldn't find any info on either. I also tried Timmoores' firebustb...that didn't work either. Any other suggestions? Let me know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've been retrying that and it doesn't work. I used to be a comcast/twc subscriber and I had that working when I used the Moto6412 box. I have since gotten rid of the cable box and am working solely from my internal OTA tuner of my TV (RCA HD52W140). I've tried both the old drivers and the newer firestb drivers (that were previously working with the moto box), neither works now directly to this TV.

I've also tried Vividlogic DTV Recorder. It recognizes the connection to the TV but does not initiate any actual data capture of a the signal. It just sits there at zero waiting. I have service calls in to Vividlogic but no response yet.

I'm just trying to find out if there are any other alternatives that may have come out since these two methods that can do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There are no "new" or "old" drivers.

If your TV appears as AV/C Tuner and its firmware isnt a total piece of trash, then it does work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to actually answer the question, I take it that you don't know of any OTHER applications out that do the same thing as these two methods that might work with this TV, is that correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greetings: I have a Mitsubishi WD-52631 DLP 1080P set with two IEEE1394 ports. I use it to record to my IEEE1394 RCA DVR2080 AV/C (AVHD) 80GB drive, which I believe was made by Indigita like the Toshiba Symbios HDD and the RCA DVR2160 (both 160GB) and the Indigita and RCA DVR10 40GB units.

Although these have firewire ports, they are not the same as EXTERNAL PC or MAC HDDs w/ Firewire ports as they have more smarts.

Since my AV/C drive works according to instructions in my HDTV owners guide, I suggest you do the same. I suspect that your PC running with the drivers discussed will respond to the HDTV's request to do the recording.

My HDTV has me select a DIGITAL MPEG input stream (cable IEEE1394 port on my Motorola DCT6416 & 3416, or TV ATSC or QAM tuner). You cannot record from any of the HDTV's analog input sources: composite, S-video, analog component, PC-VGA, etc. That is because the TV does not convert them to an MPEG stream! Plus you also cannot record from HDMI, & DVI-D inputs because although they are digital, they are not an MPEG stream.

Hopefully the AV/C (D-VHS) compatible driver you installed had you assign a folder to for the recordings.

After selecting an MPEG source input, I press REC on the TV's remote (set to TV). If more than one recorder is on the IEEE1393 link (both D-VHS and AVHD) you must first select the recorder to be used and then the details of the rec duration etc. Then when the source is running, I press REC again to start the capture operation on the recorder (PC, D-VHS, or AVHD).

I have a Sony Vaio w/ IEE1394, but have not had a need to try what you are doing. BTW: Although I can record while watching a DVR playback, the stream mode is still in effect requiring the recorder to make its best effort to keep up with the stream, as in this mode there are no retries when received data is in error. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts