AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The selection of 720p or 1080i games for X-Box is leaving me dissatisfied, especially since I don't care for sports games. That basically leaves Dragon's Lair and that's it.

Is anything else at least in development?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last week, I got a 57F500 Hitachi, specifically for the new HD games on xbox that are likely to come out. I rented Tony Hawk for a day because it's in 720 just to see what it looked like, and it was impressive. Hopefully, that's the future. Today, though, I put on Project Gotham racing and Nascar Thunder 2003, both 480 I am guessing. Project Gotham looked almost as good as Tony Hawk while Nascar Thunder looked almost worse than an analog TV signal. Jagged edges, lots of noise. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think it's stupid they make them 720 when most tvs dont support that format. they should go to 1080 which makes it fully compatible. i hope halo 2 wil have HD compatability though. i just wish they wouldnt delay it so much. it better be the best game of all time for all the waiting that we have to do.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well I had a chance to play the new Soul Calibur 2 game (Japnese Import

), and altough it comes through in 720P (proven by the disabled stretch functions on my toshiba 42H82) it doesn't come through in widescreen?

Anybody else have a chance to play this game yet?

-Sp

·
Registered
916 Posts
"i think it's stupid they make them 720 when most tvs dont support that format"

I think it's stupid for TV manufacturers to make TVs that they claim are HDTV ready/compatible/etc..., but the TV doesn't accept all the variations that are part of the HDTV (ATSC) standard, 720p and 1080i included.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'd just be happy if they'd make everything 16x9, forget HD. It is disgusting that Midtown Madness, Brute Force and other major titles are STILL 4:3!

Anybody know if the new Ghost Recon will be 16x9? The OXM demo is 4:3, but I think all their demos are 4:3 (but I'm not sure).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetPreacher
Well I had a chance to play the new Soul Calibur 2 game (Japnese Import

), and altough it comes through in 720P (proven by the disabled stretch functions on my toshiba 42H82) it doesn't come through in widescreen?

Anybody else have a chance to play this game yet?

-Sp

I haven't played it yet, but I have heard of this problem, however, they are making alot of changes for the US version such as adding 2 more characters. Maybe they will put widescreen in for 720p. If not, I am going with the GC version.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are quite a few upcoming games listed in the new OXM that are supposed to be in 720p.

I don't have the magazine in front of me, so I don't remember all of them.

I believe the new Starcraft(which is the cover story) is supposed to support it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I made a mistake. The new OXM doesn't state specifically that Starcraft will be in the 720p; it just says high res.

As for upcoming games that it specifically states being in 720p, they are as follows:

True Crime

X-Men Legends

NFL2K4

Men of Valor

XIII

NHL 2K4

Soul Caliber II

Armed and Dangerous

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Rainbow Six 3 will be 720 according to a questionable interview (the lead designer said it had "720" when asked if it supported high defition) and Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox supports widescreen in 480p but only 4:3 in 720p because 4:3 720 = 960x720 and 16:9 720 = 1280x720 and namco couldn't make the higher res version jibe. I'm hoping they'll optimize the US release but still, it's a fighting game, the higher res will be preferable to 16:9 anyway (can't believe I said that)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I seriously doubt Halo 2 will be 720p. Although they're reducing the overall poly count on most objects by using bump mapping, I think they're going to use that extra juice to display more stuff on the screen and bump up the frame rate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.