AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The selection of 720p or 1080i games for X-Box is leaving me dissatisfied, especially since I don't care for sports games. That basically leaves Dragon's Lair and that's it.

Is anything else at least in development?

·
Registered
25 Posts
dont know about 720p....but almost all the new ones are 480p.......i think there gonna make that the standard now...the only 720 game i know of is nba 2k3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Soul Calibur 2 will be in 720p. As far as others down the road that have not yet been confirmed, but rumored are, True Crime, Project Gotham 2, and the grand daddy, Halo 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last week, I got a 57F500 Hitachi, specifically for the new HD games on xbox that are likely to come out. I rented Tony Hawk for a day because it's in 720 just to see what it looked like, and it was impressive. Hopefully, that's the future. Today, though, I put on Project Gotham racing and Nascar Thunder 2003, both 480 I am guessing. Project Gotham looked almost as good as Tony Hawk while Nascar Thunder looked almost worse than an analog TV signal. Jagged edges, lots of noise. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Many games start out in HD but next to none actually make it. I personally don't think that Halo2 will be 720p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think it's stupid they make them 720 when most tvs dont support that format. they should go to 1080 which makes it fully compatible. i hope halo 2 wil have HD compatability though. i just wish they wouldnt delay it so much. it better be the best game of all time for all the waiting that we have to do.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well I had a chance to play the new Soul Calibur 2 game (Japnese Import

), and altough it comes through in 720P (proven by the disabled stretch functions on my toshiba 42H82) it doesn't come through in widescreen?

Anybody else have a chance to play this game yet?

-Sp

·
Registered
916 Posts
"i think it's stupid they make them 720 when most tvs dont support that format"

I think it's stupid for TV manufacturers to make TVs that they claim are HDTV ready/compatible/etc..., but the TV doesn't accept all the variations that are part of the HDTV (ATSC) standard, 720p and 1080i included.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'd just be happy if they'd make everything 16x9, forget HD. It is disgusting that Midtown Madness, Brute Force and other major titles are STILL 4:3!

Anybody know if the new Ghost Recon will be 16x9? The OXM demo is 4:3, but I think all their demos are 4:3 (but I'm not sure).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetPreacher
Well I had a chance to play the new Soul Calibur 2 game (Japnese Import

), and altough it comes through in 720P (proven by the disabled stretch functions on my toshiba 42H82) it doesn't come through in widescreen?

Anybody else have a chance to play this game yet?

-Sp

I haven't played it yet, but I have heard of this problem, however, they are making alot of changes for the US version such as adding 2 more characters. Maybe they will put widescreen in for 720p. If not, I am going with the GC version.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are quite a few upcoming games listed in the new OXM that are supposed to be in 720p.

I don't have the magazine in front of me, so I don't remember all of them.

I believe the new Starcraft(which is the cover story) is supposed to support it.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
my friend has the soul calibur 2 import for the gamecube

and i can confirm that it is 16:9 WS..there is an option to switch to "WIDE" in display options

·
Registered
13 Posts
I made a mistake. The new OXM doesn't state specifically that Starcraft will be in the 720p; it just says high res.

As for upcoming games that it specifically states being in 720p, they are as follows:

True Crime

X-Men Legends

NFL2K4

Men of Valor

XIII

NHL 2K4

Soul Caliber II

Armed and Dangerous

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Rainbow Six 3 will be 720 according to a questionable interview (the lead designer said it had "720" when asked if it supported high defition) and Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox supports widescreen in 480p but only 4:3 in 720p because 4:3 720 = 960x720 and 16:9 720 = 1280x720 and namco couldn't make the higher res version jibe. I'm hoping they'll optimize the US release but still, it's a fighting game, the higher res will be preferable to 16:9 anyway (can't believe I said that)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I seriously doubt Halo 2 will be 720p. Although they're reducing the overall poly count on most objects by using bump mapping, I think they're going to use that extra juice to display more stuff on the screen and bump up the frame rate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.