AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Evidently. That is what the acting sales guy said. Some bad info gets out with too many mouth pieces so the gag order. This is however starting to sound like a repetitive 2 more weeks type of thing.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I would like to see this unit go both ways. That is SDI to HDMI and a second section that goes HDMI to SDI.

Reason?

I can put the Mosquito in front of a scaler with SDI input. I guess their solution is to use the dragonfly which has HDMI input.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
No news from Algolith on anything until the end of next week when Christian, its President, returns from vacation.
So "end of next week" is tomorrow. Looking forward to any news on Algolith products....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,

Will you get a chance to speak to Algolith this week? Please don't forget to ask about the SDI-HDMI adaptor.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I spoke to Christian yesterday. The HDMI units are awaiting HDMI licensing tests scheduled for the end of the month. Assuming the tests are passed we should see the HDMI Mosquito almost immediately.

He gave me info re release dates for the Dragonfly but I agreed to refrain from publicizing them until Algolith posted an official notice on its website.

I do not remember what he said about the SDI to HDMI unit.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Probably not good news for the Dragonfly. If they were ready to release it soon like the HDMI Mosquito, they would have let Mark talk about it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
I do not remember what he said about the SDI to HDMI unit.
:( :(

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The key is first getting the HDMI license for the Mosquito. Can't have the sdi to HDMI without getting the HDMI license for the Mosquito since that is like a peripheral to plug into the Mosquito.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On
Then maybe a DVI to SDI will do.

regards,

Li On

Yeah, but that adapter from Gefen costs $1000 :eek:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark,

Off-Topic question: Do you still have the Fujitsu LCD pj in your showroom? Did you ever get a chance to feed a 1080p60 signal to its selectors HDMI input? I'm planning to get a good scaler, maybe a Crystalio II, and feed the 1080p output from that scaler to the Fujitsu's Selector unit with HDMI and wonder what will happen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Algolith told me today that the SDI-HDMI converter was shelved due to lack of demand. This is a real disappointment to me because I have a good processor in my projector (Marantz S4) and SDI from my player. I was hoping to use the Algolith converter to connect the two. Has anyone heard of something similar built by another company? There are a few converters that output 480p but nothing I've found outputs 480i.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wiens
Algolith told me today that the SDI-HDMI converter was shelved due to lack of demand. This is a real disappointment to me because I have a good processor in my projector (Marantz S4) and SDI from my player. I was hoping to use the Algolith converter to connect the two. Has anyone heard of something similar built by another company? There are a few converters that output 480p but nothing I've found outputs 480i.
That's right. DVI is only 480p.

I was thinking of building my own bi-directional unit. Problem is I believe the HDMI chip sets are licensed. Even though this devive does not need HDCP compliance since SDI doesn't use it, I don't think you can get the chip sets without being an HDMI licensee.

The SDI interface chip sets and FPGA glue is off the shelf. The HDCP license is $15K last I heard plus the costs of compliance testing. A little high for a garage product that will sell less than 100 units.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Ah, that's bad news :(

Maybe someone will give us a good 480i HDMI player. The only one I know of is the Arcam DV29 that is way over priced IMO.

Ken

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLand
Ah, that's bad news :(

Maybe someone will give us a good 480i HDMI player. The only one I know of is the Arcam DV29 that is way over priced IMO.

Ken
There's also the Pioneer 59avi (and upcoming 79avi) and the Sony 975.

Without this unit, I suspect that Algolith will be losing a number of potential customers of the HDMI mosquito.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wiens

I also got a similar reply to my e-mail saying it was cancelled but then another e-mail from another gentlemen from Algolith said they will release more info regarding its specs and release date in about a few weeks :confused:

I guess there is some confusion among Algolith decisions/employees...

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.